Not sure what to do now

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...totally upset with vet and Jack's pets.
Santa was kind enough to purchase two beardies, Scooby and Zack.
Santa hid them very well for a month and kids had a snow day and broke a lock on the door to see what a light was on for.
Jack's pets reps sold me this awful bearded dragon kit by Zilla AND told me it would be ok to keep the two together for awhile.
Kids found Scooby and Zack on Friday. Sunday we took them to the vet for a check up because I was told they were the same age, yet Zack is much smaller.
I was smart enough to take in stool samples and they have round worm.
We are on day four of five days of treatment.
Starting yesterday Zack stopped eating crickets and greens.
I gave him a bath today and tonight gave him some chicken baby food on his nose and a little bit of green beans. He ate some but not much, maybe 15 licks.
I am in the process of building a new home for Scooby- thanks to Crossfire's instructions.
Tomorrow I will be going out and purchasing the Repti Sun 10.0.
Scooby is 15.5 inches and 184 grams
Zack is 13 inches and 101 grams but I am sure he is less since Friday.
The vet told me they are both boys but could not tell me how old they are.
Jack's pets rep told me they were both six months old, but could not find any records on them. They were housed together at the petstore.
I will take any and all suggestions.
I made a big mistake in purchasing my cuties before I did all my research.
I am trying really hard to correct my errors.
Please don't judge. :D
I have turned off the UV light I have now thinking it was causing more harm than good.
I really love these guys and want to do the right thing.
Please help.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
Okay first off Karen, stop being so hard on yourself. :wink:

We are here to help you out. I know I posted a long post responding to your first intro post about your beardies, trying to help you get what you need.

First things first. Look on craigslist and try to find another reptile cage. The bigger, the better! But you need to get something NOW, ASAP! You need to get them separated! Very possible that Zack is not eating due to the stress on him caused by the bigger beardie. Beardies are VERY independent and solitary creatures, so first things first, get them separated and then get the correct lights and Reptisun florescent lights etc as I talked about in response to your first intro post a few days back.

I know that this can be exhausting, especially with two new beardies. It doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg though if you buy some of the hardware and lights from places like Lowes and Amazon (again as I talked about in that first response days ago.. please re-read it if you need to, or read some of the many other numerous similar posts by even more experienced beardie owners then myself)

I will tell you however, that with two beardies, you are likely gonna wanna breed your own live food and from everything I have read and researched, I would definitely go with dubia roaches. Watch some YouTube videos on breeding them and read some of the threads here on them under the FEEDERS section. If you buy all your food for them, that is what's gonna cost you an arm and a leg, and even getting starting on breeding dubais is gonna cost you a bit.

I understand that you are likely feeling very overwhelmed right about now. Please don't give up, once you get it all figured out and get them set up with everything they need, it will be a LOT easier. I think the initial curve you need to learn getting started with Beardies is very steep however, especially if.. like you say - you didn't do your research.

Please stay positive and reach out to us here for help and support - that is exactly why we are here and I believe why this website was made in the first place, for people just like you now.

We are here for you Karen. :) :blob5: You CAN do it! :blob5:

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Zaxtor,
Thanks again so much, again!
We are building the new viv this weekend.
New lights are being purchased today.

I hate the smell of these crickets, so I will definitely look into the Dubai's.

And yes, I am a bit overwhelmed but very glad to hear it should settle down.

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Karen

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Hi! How are they doing now?

Did you get the new tank and lights?

Did the vet talk to you about disinfecting the tank for the roundworm?

You might want to purchase some probiotics to give the beardies. That will help with their appetites after the antibiotics. You can read about it here and they sell it at beardeddragon.co.

Mary

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Hi Mary !
We have a new viv for Scooby !!
Transferred him into his new home yesterday so he is adjusting.
Both Scooby and Zack have a poor appetite right now.
Scooby will eat 4-5 crickets a day and a few bites of greens.
I am hand feeding them both reptiboost twice a day.
They both have reptisun 10.0 now.
They both now have 150w basking light now.
I am hoping now that they are separate, that they will settle in and appetites will pick up.
Thank you for the advice on the supplement. I will most definitely get some.
And yes I did sanitize their home after diagnosis and everything in it !!!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Karen

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Karen,

I'd like to go over your setup in detail with you to try and pinpoint what is causing the lack of appetite.

First, it is very possible that the reduced appetite can be attributed to the antibiotics. If you can, you should purchase the probiotics I mentioned in my other reply. The link shows how to use it properly. If purchasing those probiotics isn't an option, you can use soy yogurt instead. I've never done that personally, but I can figure out how to use that method if need be.

It is also very possible that the changes in tank and the stress from being housed together are contributing to the poor appetites, as well. It is a common symptom and can be caused by many, many things. :)

What size tanks are they in?

How are you measuring the temperatures? (infrared thermometer, probe, dial, etc.)

What is the basking temperature?

What is the cool side ambient temperature?

How close is the Reptisun to the basking spot (an exact measurement, please)?

Is there any plastic, glass, mesh, anything at all between the bulb itself and the beardies?

Which substrate are you using (repticarpet, sand, etc.)?

How often are you bathing them and how long is the bath?

Are you giving them calcium and a multivitamin supplement? If so, how often for each and which specific supplements (brand, etc.) are you giving?

Which veggies are you offering?

Can the beardies see each other when they are in their tanks?

If you could post a pic of each tank and each beardie, that might prove helpful. If you don't know how to do that, let me know.

This is a very good care guide that goes over all of the basics. I'm sure you would find helpful to read.

:)

Mary

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Hi Mary !!

What size tanks are they in? Scooby is in 4x2x2 now, Zack is in 30in x 12 in x 12 in

How are you measuring the temperatures? thermometer is zoomed digital infrared

What is the basking temperature? Scooby 110, Zack 110

What is the cool side ambient temperature? Scooby 88 cool, Zack 84

How close is the Reptisun to the basking spot? Scooby 11 inches, Zach 10 inches

Is there any plastic, glass, mesh, anything at all between the bulb itself and the beardies? no to both

Which substrate are you using (repticarpet, sand, etc.)? repticarpet for both

How often are you bathing them and how long is the bath? 10 minutes twice a week and they do NOT like it

Are you giving them calcium and a multivitamin supplement? Reptocal calcium with vitamin d 3 on crickets every other day for Scooby- he eats 5-6 crickets only a day, Zack and Scooby get Zilla vitamin spray on greens once a day, Zack is being hand fed Fluker's reptaboost twice a day

Which veggies are you offering? mustard greens, kale

Can the beardies see each other when they are in their tanks? no

If you could post a pic of each tank and each beardie, that might prove helpful. If you don't know how to do that, let me know. and yes, I do not know how to post pics yet :)

Any advice is very much welcomed !!!!
I just want to know I am doing ok by these little guys !

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Hi Karen!

Thanks for responding so thoroughly! :)

The only issue I'm seeing is the UVB bulbs might be too far away. Do you have the Reptisun T5 or the T8?

The kale isn't the greatest to feed everyday. This site lists which foods are good/bad to feed and how often.

Sometimes, beardies will benefit from having an aquarium background on three sides of the tank (if it is a glass tank). It helps to limit the reflection. Some beardies get stressed when they can see their reflection. I had a beardie refuse food for a few months because of this!

This explains how to post a picture here. If you want to post a pic of the tanks, it might be helpful still. Sometimes I find things in a picture that I'd have missed otherwise.

Mary

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Reptisun 10.0 t8.

I have aquarium background on the glass one for Zack, he still sees his reflection.
Within two weeks I think we will have another viv like Scooby has, which is a replica of Crossfire's plans.

And darn it on the kale.
I thought it was good for him.

I also add in pellets on the side,
Occasionally will give them a couple superworms.

Gave both Zach and Scooby a bath just now and how they hate it.
For the first time, they both pooped in the bath ! Yeah !!! Scooby hadn't pooped for two days !!

Will try to get pics on tonight after I get kids to bed. :D

You're like my new bestfriend !!

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Alright. I have to say, I really liked the picture of Sammy in the tank. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I'm sure it says something. :) Nice job on the crossfire, by the way. It looks really good. I need to build another one. I have to wait for spring - it's too cold in the barn right now for building!

Your beardies are adorable! They are both showing signs of an upcoming shed. Poor little guys. Not only are they experiencing relocation stress, but a shed as well. And parasites! Aw.. I'm sure they'll feel better soon enough.

Okay, you can tape on some printer paper or construction paper (I bet you have that!) on the inside glass of the Zach's tank, on the back and sides. Since he is refusing food, this might help. I had a beardie refuse food for almost three months and in the end, that's what the problem was. I used scotch tape and it was fine. Do each of the beardies have a cave they can go into? That can help as well with feeling too vulnerable. Stress is the enemy of a bearded dragon! ;)

Is that hammock still so high in the one tank? In the pic, it seems awfully close to the bulb.

Are you using a night time bulb? I see three fixtures..

Your son is adorable, by the way! :)

Baths are notorious for encouraging poops. Most people prefer that as it reduces tank cleanings!

They aren't quite big enough for superworms yet. There's a risk of impaction if fed to beardies under 16 inches in length. Crickets, phoenix worms, silk worms, dubia roaches (you can breed them and it is REALLY easy!), those are all good feeders. Did I link you to this care guide? A good friend of mine wrote it and it is very thorough. He's almost as passionate as I am about beardies! Don't tell him I said that, he might fight me for the title. ;)

They'll get used to their baths. Maybe. They need them, so twice a week is good. Just like you would for a baby, warm to the wrist, not too deep (to shoulder level). 15 minutes is a good length of time for a bath.

You need to get the UVB bulbs closer. This is possibly the cause of the anorexic behavior. Get them to within 8 inches of the basking spots. This post describes how to mount them inside the tank (on a glass tank). For your crossfire, well, I did something involving eye hooks, s hooks, and thin chain. Oh, and zip ties around the fixture to connect the s hooks to. I'm sure you'll figure something out. You did manage to build that tank awfully quickly, so I think you are sufficient in DIY knowledge to hang a light fixture. 8 inches.

If they don't start eating better... are they in the same room? There's a chance that the *smell* of each other is bothering them. I'd try the probiotics first, though.

Let me know how they are doing!

It's too bad you aren't local. I could use a IRL beardie buddy. Beardie playdates, how fun would that be? :)

Mary

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Hi Mary !
The paper taping to inside aquarium is a great idea.
Yes, they they both have caves and Zach pretty much spends the day there.
I am still hand feeding him.
But on a good note, he was out a little today walking around and did some waving !!!
I know this because I am lucky enough to work from home :D
Scooby is settling in....he had 6 crickets this morning and 8 tonight...as well as greens and blueberries- only a couple berries cut up.
I will work on lowering the lights and lowering the sling.
I'll take a pic of Scooby tonight in his new home with all his fun new stuff.
Thanks for the compliment on Sammy, he is pretty cute.
I'll post a pic of Olivia, my daughter, she's gonna be a real heartbreaker too.
I am soooo very blessed with my kiddos!!!

Do you have kids?
And yes, I too am bummed that we are not closer.
Would have been lot's of fun to have beardie dates !!!
Karen

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Great looking beardies!
I really hope everything is getting better for you, I know the stress of beardies that won't eat.
My big baby, Osiris was also dealing with pinworms and just finished his 8 week treatment, he is SO happy to have all his furniture back now and is finally getting an appetite again.

Best of luck to you! :blob5:

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Hey Karen!

Yeah, I have three kids but my youngest is 14! I'm not old enough to have kids that old... :/

How are the beardies doing? Any changes?

Mary

KareninOhio

Original Poster
Hi Mary !!
Scooby is doing fabulous in his new spacious condo !!
Eating and pooping well :)

Zack, not so well, he stays in his cave all day, not eating and gives me the black beard when I hand feed him twice a day, but he accepts willingly.

I did cover the inside of his aquarium with paper, but he won't come out of cave. I am hoping in a few days he will recover.
What do you think?
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom