Not sure if shedding or a mistake/bad husbandry on my end

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHannaman

Original Poster
One quick question. Do you think I could've been sold a rankins bearded dragon? I can't tell the difference with chappie being so small right now along with my lack of experience.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on the photos, he just looks like a baby. Rounded head and small body. Probably too much color to be a Rankins. They are much more rare to find than a regular Central Dragon.

MHannaman

Original Poster
I kind of figured that. But coming from a pet store, I wouldn't of been surprised lol. It still hasn't eaten anything so I'm going to buy some baby food after work and pick up some different greens. I was thinking some coriander and Mustard greens. I know they mention chicken baby food but I can never find just "chicken", it's always mixed with sweet potatoes, corn etc. Which would you prefer? And how much calcium do I mix in?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
MHannaman":2jsmdgnd said:
One quick question. Do you think I could've been sold a rankins bearded dragon? I can't tell the difference with chappie being so small right now along with my lack of experience.
It's unlikely. If a pet shop had them to sell I'm pretty sure they would label them as such and ask more than a vitticeps since they are much less common.

Your little one is very handsome, but not a rankins.

MHannaman

Original Poster
Thanks taterbug! I love the colors. I'm just starting to get really frustrated lol. I turned lights on this morning and the stress marks were ridiculous and IDK why. Treating it like a king, but still pissy haha. It's like chappie knows its getting on my nerves.

MHannaman

Original Poster
Update: came home from work and Chappie was exploring :). I was only able to get him to eat 1 roach, but considering it's been a couple days since he ate, I'll take it!

MHannaman

Original Poster
Update: Chappie has passed away :(. It's mind boggling to say the least. I don't know what the issue was. We were making progress, so I thought. Energy was good, enjoyed the baths, didn't care too much for the phoenix worms, but loved the dubias (which were about 1/4"). I noticed it when I went to mist him after I replaced his greens. He didn't move. Usually he'll look at me with that "aahh" look, but nothing. So I decided to pick him up and he was lifeless. Limp and cold. But, I want to thank you all for the help and advice. Can't help but think he wouldn't of made this long without the communities help.

MHannaman

Original Poster
Thank you Taterbug. I will say that this is the last time I purchase another pet, bearded dragon to be exact, from pet supplies plus. This is the 2nd one that has passed from the same chain pet store.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
MHannaman":un8355pl said:
Thank you Taterbug. I will say that this is the last time I purchase another pet, bearded dragon to be exact, from pet supplies plus. This is the 2nd one that has passed from the same chain pet store.

Wow, I wonder if it's something to do with that store or even the breeders they get from. It does seem like pet store dragons have more difficulties than ones from reputable private breeders.

MHannaman

Original Poster
It has to be something with the way they house them. I should've known from the way their husbandry is that it was going to be a disaster. But I have been looking for another BD from Rainbow Bearded Dragons and I believe I have found the one I want. I have posted it in another topic I created about reputable breeders in the US, but here's a pic anyway lol.

75323-8505839700.jpg
75323-250439556.jpg
4 months old and he's 14.5"... Let me know what you think. I'm cautious to drop that kind of money after the last 2 experiences, but I'm hoping for the best.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What a gorgeous fellow! I think you will be much happier going with a breeder than a pet store. I'm only personally familiar with the one I got my guy from but I've heard good hings about rainbow. You can also check out the board of inquiry on fauna classified if you still have worries.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, beautiful dragon ! Tamara is an expert and has many customer testimonials on her website. Great size on her dragons, and you can start feeding it larger prey items right away which is a saving in itself. I think it's a great choice. :)

MHannaman

Original Poster
I've read the testimonials and they are what sold me to buy from her. But I do know her dragons are fed crickets for live feeders. I don't really want to deal with crickets and would rather do dubias and phoenix worms. Do you think the dragon would accustom pretty quick?

MHannaman

Original Poster
Taterbug, from which breeder did you get your beardie? I'm pretty convinced I'm buying from Rainbow but just checking around with a couple more before I make the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom