Not sure if I should start to worry yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Ok, let me tell you a little about Digger before I go into the "problem" that he might be having.

We got Digger from a breeder 5 years ago (he'll be 6 this month) and at that time he was a year old. He never ate crickets, he would trun away from them, etc, so initially he was fed his veggies (green ebans, collards, mustard, the occasional raspberry, blueberry)and superworms till we were able to get butterworms then he's eat them. Well we had him maybe 6 months and he went to the vet and he was LOADED with pinworms and hookworms, so we did the antibiotic route. Ever since then he was a very very very very very very very very very very picky/fussy eater, he would only eat supers once in a while, butters once in a while, the occasional raspberry and I was told get green baby food and turkey baby food and liquid calcium(he only gets the baby food if he doesn't eat for a week)He's been healthy since based on his fecals and he's gained weight like he was supposed to and he's 17" long. About 2 years ago, my hubby fed him superworms and he threw up (found out later that the hubby fed him 22 :evil: supers!!!, no wonder the poor thing threw up!)well got over that, then (this started about 4 years ago, sorry about going backward)we'd give him a bath, he'll drink the water, then do hiccups (Best word I can figure to describe them)and he's gape and everything so took him to the vet and explained everything, he thought maybe he has GERD so when he does it (it's not all the time) I just pick him up a little and he stops. This has been going on for 4 years...menawhile he's keeping his weight, fecals are fine and at his last visit to the vet in Nov I was told that he has a slightly enlarged liver, but that was from his age.

Now to the current possible worry...we fed Digger his supers the day before yesterday (he's been in semi-brumation since Sept, so when he does eat I'm happy!)yesterday we give him a bath, now today he's awake with his head way up and the hubby says that he was licking his chops and gulps a little (he gulps when he's nervous too-that's a whole different story)When I got home from work, he was gulping but he was putting his head up & down and then he went into his cat carrier. I checked on him before I went to work to see if he was sleeping and his head is way up, no gulping though.

The hubby thinks he's sick, there is no black beard, no stress marks. I told my hubby just see how he is tomorrow, then I'll make an apt for the vet. He hasn't thrown up but he hasn't pooped yet (he just pooped last week and he goes once every week to 2 weeks for him that's normal, sigh)

Anyone have any ideas? I kinda think maybe he ate his worms too fast or his GERD might be getting worse, just not sure. He will be 6 though, so maybe he's starting to get into old age?
ANy responses appreciated!

Mary

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry to here Digger is under the weather.I can tel you 2 things that came to mind instantly when you described his life pattern I though maybe he is sufferung from Adeno.Have you had him tested?Most Adeno positive dragons have similar symptoms with appetite issues and on and off health issues.Also I know that another symptom of adeno is "star gazing" which it sounds like he was doing tonight.The other thought was for the immediate situation which would be an RI.Again star gazing and excessive gaping/gulping could point to RI.Being that he has been in colder temps due to brumation and possibly a lowered immune system because of his age and his brumation.Is there any mucous?When was his last bath BTW?Could he be a little dehydrated?

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I've never thought about Adeno, being that he has been like this for years prior to this latest thing that he is doing, he 's always had clear fecals (except that one time)and when he does poop it's not been smelly or runny or any more gross than poop can be.

As for the star gazing, I don't know if I would call it that, he does move his eyes, plays eye ping pong and moves his head, it's just the way he had his head wayyy up. I did listen to his chest (so to speak)after his bath yesterday (I knew he wanted one, he was in his water dish splashing, lol!)and no abnormal sounds other than the usual contented pipping he's done since we've had him when he's cuddled. There is no mucous, that was the first thing I looked for when he was licking his chops (either that or upcoming throw-up :puke: )

I'll have to see if I can get him to the vet then and hopefully I can get him to poop at the vets, since we moved our vet is 70 miles away (and poop is hard to keep fresh for that distance) and I would like to go to him since he did intern at the breeders and has 2 rescue beardies himself and does work at the zoo in Philly.

Thanks!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well hopefully its nothing but I think your right to take him to the vet.Better safe then sorry and the head up actions make me concerned that he is trying to drain or having issues breathing.Let me know what the vet says.Maybe if you uo the temps in his basking area it will help.Is it possible his tank humidity is up too high?

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I never checked his humidity in all the years I've had him, but it is dry in our townhome (loads of static). The hubby just called me and told me he's still awake in his cat carrier with his head way up and he's gulping once in a while and he asked me if there is anything I can give him. We have a heating pad that's on under his cat carrier and inside his cat carrier it's got 2 t-shirts and a towel for a cushion, plus a rolled up bandana for him to put his head on so it's not cold.

I told my hubby just to let him be overnight and we'll se how he is tomorrow, I'm stuck at work and it's starting to get icy too (I hate winter at times)

I'll lower his basking light tomorrow when I get up at 4AM and check the temps with the temp gun prior to me putting him in there and we'll see how that does too, thanks for that suggestion!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I just have to ask why is he in a cat carrier? I am sure theres a reason I was just curious :wink: Please keep me posted,ok?

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
He won't sleep in his viv, he's been sleeping in his cat carrier for almost 5 years, he looks for it to sleep in at night, and when he finds it, he climbs right in and snuggles and I cover him with his bandana; he won't close his eyes until I do cover and pet him...little sucker :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
athenacp":0fa81 said:
He won't sleep in his viv, he's been sleeping in his cat carrier for almost 5 years, he looks for it to sleep in at night, and when he finds it, he climbs right in and snuggles and I cover him with his bandana; he won't close his eyes until I do cover and pet him...little sucker :)
LOL I had a feeling it was something like that. :lol:
I was just thinking maybe putting him on a rice sock would help keep him extra warm tonight.I know you have a heat pad but the little boost may help.On the opposite end did your husband check the heatpad temp just to make sure it didnt go haywire?

irwin

My beardie only drinks when I am giving him a bath. He'll either drink the water up on his own or I'll cup the water in my hand and drip water on his nose that he'll lap up with his tongue. Sometimes he starts this gulping action as well. He opens his mouth wide and keeps it open while he pushes his tongue off to the side and starts gulping like he is choking. He does it for a bit and then he is fine. Just wondering if your beardie's "gulping" is similar to this. Just thought this might help you think of what might be triggering it if it is similar. Good luck!

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
vickson420 I'll call him and have him check it, I'll have to get rice tomorrow (we have no rice in the house due to our diet)since we do have a microwave now, I can do that, thanks for that tip!

irwin-he'll drink sometimes on his ow; when he's in the bath he does the "hiccup-gulping-body jerk" if he drinks too fast so the vet told me what to do with that, this head-up thing is different.

Thank you both, I'm going to have to leave here in a few, the roads are getting icy and I won't be back on till tomorrow, I'll let you know how he is, thanks again!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Your welcome.Let me know how it goes and be careful its getting pretty bad over here too right now so drive carefully.

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Hope he gets better i think there are a couple of on here going through the same thing. Whats a rice sock?

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Sorry I haven't updated, been so busy lately, but last Friday Digger was sitting on my chest and I was stroking his back and all of a sudden the loudest noise came from his butt!!! The hubby asked WTH was that and I said I don't believe it he farted! He never ever ever did that before! He went into his cat carrier that night and then on Saturday he pooped! And he started running around! And he pooped again yesterday! I had left raspberries for him on Tuesday & Wed and the hubby said when he came down it looked like he was glass dancing and there was a pile of poop! I was surprised, he poops maybe once every 8-14 days, but now he seems to be fine:) If he's awake by the time I get home in the afternoon I'll try to feed him some baby food.

Thank you all for your support! I am going to give him a bath this weekend again and see what happens. He'll be 6 years old tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom