Not-So Proper Nail Cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I decided to try to trim Jabberwock's nails. I didn't do so good a job - it's my first attempt - and some of them bled. I feel pretty bad about it, but Jabs doesn't seem too concerned - when he got too squirmy, I put him back into his tank and gave him his dinner, and he ate with a will. My concern is a little more palpable: since I obviously cut some of the veins inside his nails, do I need to worry about having harmed him? Or is that the kind of thing that just closes over and grows back.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I have to cut Emmy's nails too, and have cut one where it had bled. I do not think this is too much to worry about. It is similar to cutting a dog or cats nails to short. They seem to heal just fine, but it hurts them a little.

If the nails are black it is easy to see where you should be cutting them from. On a side view you can see the black portion of the nail protruding beyond the white or clear section of the nail. When cutting you just want to cut the black tip, and do not want to go beyond into the white/clear section as that is where all the capillaries are.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Do you have him on a loose substrate? They aren't recommended anyhow but if you do have him on a loose substrate like sand or in dirty conditions, you will need to correct that to keep his nails sanitary since you had some bleeding.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
This actually brings up something I've wanted to know, I understand that birds have important veins in their nails as well and if you were to clip one, they bleed. The problem is that they can bleed to death from these veins, they are sort of like an artery. So generally a coagulating agent is necessary if you were to clip the vein so that it will clot and the bird will not suffer dangerous blood loss.
Are reptiles the same? I accidentally nipped one of my lizards veins months ago during a routine trimming and I immediately applied a clotting agent to prevent him from bleeding.
Is this necessary or will they clot on their own without anything applied?

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I think it is different with reptiles then birds. Bird have very little blood to start with and can bleed to death from a very small amount of blood loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom