Not really sure.. need some help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I posted a little while back about my Lois who was showing the beginning signs of MBD. Well in the process of getting her back on her feet Im pretty sure I ended up overcompensating and over supplemented my other dragon..Stewie.

He was having hard poos with the very beginning of the urate being orange.. I looked it up and it sounds like too much calcium.

So i found another thread on here about "too much calcium" and I followed the directions on there to get him back on schedule.

Today is his 6th day without calcium, then after the 7th I was going to return to the supplemenation schedule you all have posted several times.

The problem is... his poos are normal in consistancy...sry..eww i know lol. Kind of firm but not runny. The very beginning of his urate is still orangy looking but it is soft. In addition to this there is alot of clear fluid in with this. His rock will be wet and then there will be his pile of poo.
Sry for being so graphic.

And the smell... omg... reallly bad.

I have called about a fecal. They want 65 bux for it and its a drive. If you guys think it is needed, I will take him in a heart beat, but Id really like to have your guys opinion before I do.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I will be honest the time I knew when my swatke had parasites was when his poop smelled so bad I wanted to throw up :puke:

What are you feeding them? Crickets? Crickets are number one cause of parasites in my opinion they are just terrible things they eat each other and their poop.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Yea, for the most part they eat crickets 2x a day with a salad as well. For the last few wekks we have been sticking with collard greens and butterbut squash.

My other beardy is showing no symptoms tho.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Well not all crickets will carry the parasite at the same time, certain ones might and others may not.
Also are your dragons housed together? The sickly one could be dominated by the other one causing stress levels to rise and immune levels to drop giving more chance for parasites to grow.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Currently they are housed together, We are in the process of building the new viv since we just found out Lois is.. a louie. I figured their aggresson towards each other woud be starting alot sooner. They are babies now.

From what I have noticed.. Stewie is the dominant one, so I dont think that is the problem. I am also present for every feeding, which there is no fighting, no bowing or anything. They eat well and go on about their business.

Ive been watching for stress marks too, since I was afraid he was sick. He isnt showing any signs of stress. Louie stays in his basking spot and Stewie stays in his(opposite ends of thier viv) and just chill.
Everything seems normal with the exception of the poo problem.

If it is parasites.. what do i do? Get a fecal anyways? Can you only get meds from a vet? Is meds recommended for this?

Or is it related to the "too much calcium"? or is this just a coincedence that the two events coincided. Gah! Im making myself nuts here :D

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
You still aren't always around to when they are there and dragon's don't always show signs they are terrible when it comes to that.
One day your dragon looks great and the next they are dead.

You got to remember in the wild if you look injured a predator will eat you.
You have to get a fecal for the parasites, there are multiple parasites and the vet will prescribe the correct medication.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Well, they wont be together much longer. Just need to sand, stain and seal.

So, what is peoples opinions on medicating their dragons in a situation like this?

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Small update...

The only herp vet within 60 miles decided to go home an hour earlier than what they said so i didnt get his fecal scheduled;/

On the plus side it seems as if he had only 1 abnormal poo. I dont recall feeding him anything out of the ordinary that would cause this, but the last few poos have been normal in consistancy and smell.

With the exception ofc that his urates still have a bit of orange in them.
It has been 7 to 8 days now and I should be giving him calcium again but should I with his urates sill being discolored?
They arent hard.. hes not straining, but still a bit colored.. what to do?

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Bump! :) Plz, I really need to know if I should be giving him calcium again yet.

As a stated before, I took him off his calcium because I believe I over supplemented him ( harder urates with orange color ) Since he has been off of the calcium, over a week now, he still has a bit of color in his urate. The urate is no longer hard tho.

What does thsi mean and when should I start his calcium back?

According to another thread it says I shouldve taken him off for 7 days then follow the beautiful dragons schedule but with his urates still colored im afraid to give him calcium

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I think you are fine to continue calcium. You need to follow the guide on beautiful dragons and be more sparing with it though. Remember, you want to dust the feeders, not coat them. There should be no color change in the actual feeder itself after dusting. If it is turning white from the powder then you are using entirely too much.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
... wow, ya I def oversupplemented then. My crickets always looked white after dusting ;/

Thanks for replying, thats exactly what I needed to know. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom