Not pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxxzy

My bearded dragon hasn’t had a bowel movement for about 2+ weeks. He hasn’t had a proper one for even longer than that. Before, he was just doing little poos or just peeing but now there is nothing. He has the perfect lighting, he eats, and he is in perfect health (apart from this issue, of course). I am aware of impaction and I don’t think he is impacted but I’m also not sure. I do have a loose substrate (Pisces USA Australian Desert Sand) but he has never had problems with it, except for when he first got it (he ate a lot of it, but was able to pass it).

Any ideas as to what may be going on are appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would ditch the sand --- not only impaction issues but it harbors bacteria--- I would get some NON adhesive textured shelf liner or slated ceramic tile NO smooth or nothing real course - from your local home improvement store - its cheap and easy to clean --- vinegar / water 50/50 solution--- the not pooping could have some thing to do w/ the lighting and basking temps- before we can help you need to tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where it is in the tank -- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zpw8iie said:
I would ditch the sand --- not only impaction issues but it harbors bacteria--- I would get some NON adhesive textured shelf liner or slated ceramic tile NO smooth or nothing real course - from your local home improvement store - its cheap and easy to clean --- vinegar / water 50/50 solution--- the not pooping could have some thing to do w/ the lighting and basking temps- before we can help you need to tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where it is in the tank -- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

Oh hi Karrie! I’m not sure if you remember but you helped me when I was having problems with his eating as well. Everything is exactly the same. He has 107 basking temp (no stick on), Zoomed 10.0 tube (has reflector) close to cold side, sort of in warm side. Bacterial and impaction issues have never been a problem with the sand and I’ve never seen him eat any. I’ve used sand with my previous beardie and there was never any problems with her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he hydrated? What is his diet consist of? When he poops is he straining? If he is that would be a sign of impaction--- to be on safe side I would ditch the sand
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":6kx8oxkb said:
Is he hydrated? What is his diet consist of? When he poops is he straining? If he is that would be a sign of impaction--- to be on safe side I would ditch the sand
Karrie

Yes he is hydrated. Kale, squash, collards, carrots, superworms. I don’t know if he’s straining since he isn’t pooping. Last time he did a poo he didn’t strain. I am almost 90% sure he isn’t impacted.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well then its just him --- as long as your lighting is good basking temps are good and hes hydrated and got a good diet I would say he will go when he goes - you can always add in some shredded raw sweet potato that will push it along -- it is not uncommon for them to not poop for long periods of time --- sometimes months --
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q32g09b8 said:
Ok well then its just him --- as long as your lighting is good basking temps are good and hes hydrated and got a good diet I would say he will go when he goes - you can always add in some shredded raw sweet potato that will push it along -- it is not uncommon for them to not poop for long periods of time --- sometimes months --
Karrie

Okay well its been about 2 weeks so I’ll wait for a bit before I freak out any more. I’ve also tried some olive oil so lets hope that works. Thank you for your help.

galaxxzy

Original Poster
Update: He pooped today (there was quite a lot!) but there was a bit of blood and the urate was solid. I’m about to take everything to the vet so they can do a fecal.

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18ev220b said:
Keep us posted please
Karrie

Vet cost 160 dollars for a consultation and fecal. I couldn’t afford it so I’m going to leave it until I can find a vet that is cheaper. Hopefully he was just constipated and he’ll go back to his normal habits in a few days.

Also, I noticed yesterday that there was a weird patch of stress lines.
106018-3098027860.jpg
Is this normal and will it go away?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When were the stress lines showing up? After the vet visit ? Here is a website for you to find another vet
www.arav.org/
See if it will find one in your area
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3l5aqfcm said:
When were the stress lines showing up? After the vet visit ? Here is a website for you to find another vet
http://www.arav.org/
See if it will find one in your area
Karrie

There was never a vet visit. I said it cost too much. I’m pretty sure its just a new stress mark but I just thought I’d ask. Thank you for the link, but there aren’t any ‘registered’ vets around me for over 100 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom