Not pooping and staying on hammock, feels cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
For a few weeks now my Bearded Dragon only poops when I give him a bath and he is almost always on his hammock. I have Zilla Terrarium Liner, feed her dandelion greens and crickets. Her appetite goes up and down, sometimes she wont eat anything but other days she will eat 15-25 crickets in one sitting. Her hammock is right next to his basking light, a Mega-Ray 100 watt bulb. She constantly stays on her hammock and barely ever moves, when I pick her up she is cold to the touch.
full

She is only about 4 months old and just about 16 inches long. I have her in a 40g breeder tank. The basking light keeps the temp on the rock about 99-102 degrees.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hammocks aren't really a good heat conductor. What is the distance of the MVB to her when she is on her hammock? What is the actual temp on the hammock and what type of thermometer are you using?

She's a very pretty girl.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
From the back the, where her tail is it is 9 inches and from where she normally has her head its about its about 14-16 inches. I also have a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB on top of the terrarium it is about 14 inches away from the hammock and basking spot. I am using a simple digital thermometer that tells heat and humidity, it has to be placed on the spot to get the temp, the temp on the hammock is reading out at 88 degrees. At the moment that is all I have and can afford. I have a stand and a Zoomed 100 watt basking light I could place above the hammock but has to be raised quiet high otherwise temps reach 115 on the hammock.
I could switch the hammock and the rock, that I have in there for basking, and put the Zoomed 100 watt basking light up but I don't know if she will just go for the hammock at the back of the tank. She loves watching out side of the tank but she also loves the damn hammock.

Edit: thank you very much, I named her Monster but she deferentially a beauty, then again I could be bias. Everyone that the pet stores are amazed at how big she is.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could try a few different things to see what she likes best, moving the hammock under the Megaray and the rock toward the front. What is the actual reading on the rock now with the way they are in the picture?

Are you using a round gauge (dial) or digital strip thermometer?

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":1vear02r said:
You could try a few different things to see what she likes best, moving the hammock under the Megaray and the rock toward the front. What is the actual reading on the rock now with the way they are in the picture?

Are you using a round gauge (dial) or digital strip thermometer?

The temperature on the Rock is 99-102. I am using a little digital box thermometer that I have to place inside the tank. I bought a Zoomed starter kit.That came with 40g tank, 100 watt basking bulb, Compact UVB light, dual dome hood, an analog thermometer, food and water dish and sand. The analog thermometer was 10-15 degrees off so I took that out and threw it away. As soon as I can save up any money I plan on getting a digital thermometer that has a probe or one of those guns that take the temps. First I need to figure out what the best is and then save the money up for it.
So far I have replace the sand with carpet, bought a Mega-Ray mercury vapor bulb, bought a 18 inch Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB bulb and hood, and just started a Dubia roach colony. That and have got her a few things for inside the tank.
I thought I was doing something right since she has grown so much and seemed very happy but now she just sits on her hammock all day and doesn't poop.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She still isn't pooping unless I put her in a bath. I have made it wear she can't escape to freezing cold areas and she is basking more often. But worried about her not pooping.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some beardies won't poop in their tanks and hold out for their baths. How often do you give her a bath? And do you offer her drinks with a plastic medicine dropper?

Amazon has some very reasonably priced probe thermometers as well as temp guns. If you want me to post some links, let me know.

It's important to be able to get accurate temp readings so you know what they are to help her out.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":w0kb6p66 said:
Some beardies won't poop in their tanks and hold out for their baths. How often do you give her a bath? And do you offer her drinks with a plastic medicine dropper?

Amazon has some very reasonably priced probe thermometers as well as temp guns. If you want me to post some links, let me know.

It's important to be able to get accurate temp readings so you know what they are to help her out.
I am giving her a bath every other day since I noticed she hadn't gone for 5 days. I don't have a medicine dropper but could probably pick on up at Walmart dirt cheap. I would be more than gracious if you give me some advice on thermometers or temp guns

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
So you are using both a MVB and a t5 uvb? i would do either or, not both. i personally like the t5 for uvb source so i would swap MVB for a reg basking bulb, just for the white light and heat.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gimmexthexloot":3r5rw2dy said:
So you are using both a MVB and a t5 uvb? i would do either or, not both. i personally like the t5 for uvb source so i would swap MVB for a reg basking bulb, just for the white light and heat.
The Mega-Ray barely puts off any heat so I already a 100w zoomed basking bulb on the other side, it's yellow light not white. She very rarely goes over to the side with the Mega-Ray 100w bulb, but if it's doing harm I can remove it. I have just been using it since I have it.
I have the Mega-Ray on the left back side of the tank, over her home. The T5 covering the back middle to the right and the basking light on the right front side of the tank.
full

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
I can't say for certain your beardie is getting too much uvb via these methods, but with knowing a t5 fixture is enough, i don't see a reason to risk it. maybe somebody else can input their .02?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nihilist":1fk6r2p8 said:
I am giving her a bath every other day since I noticed she hadn't gone for 5 days. I don't have a medicine dropper but could probably pick on up at Walmart dirt cheap. I would be more than gracious if you give me some advice on thermometers or temp guns
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458008792&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=temperature+gun&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Digital-Thermometer-Fahrenheit/dp/B00101KWVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458008943&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+probe+thermometers+for+reptiles (these work great & will give you basking & cool side temp at the same time plus humidity level.)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It seems odd that the Megaray is hardly putting out any heat. She doesn't seem to like the bulb either?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Amazon does have the best price on digital probe thermometers. You can also get the plastic eye dropper at the pharmacy, usually for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom