Not growing stuck at 9.5 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven65

Juvie Member
Oh I missed the part where you said they lay on eachother. Is it possible that the male is ontop of the female all the time? Because that will stop uvb absorbtion in the one underneath. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but i've read from this site that the only reason one will lay on the other is to get a higher basking spot and it has nothing to do with companionship, but that comes back to the age old arguement of bearded dragon social habits...

EAGOLD23

Original Poster
thats what i was planning, but i dont think 20 gallons is going to cut it. I have spoken with multiple people on the situation and it seems like there really is no best way. everything has its cons, EVERYTHING. They seem to love eachother, its bad they go nuts if i take them apart. Im hesitant to take any reccomendations, everyons says something different. I have been dealing with the one guy who has had no problem with walnut shell, even though i use carpet. Same guy also has had no problem with coil bulbs, even though i do believe that i am going to switch to tube lighting. And the whole separating them, the same breeder i deal with has had NO PROBLEMS with having two beardies of the opposite sex grow up together. Like i said i take one out and they go nuts to get back in with the other. Both will try and climb walls to get to the other one, they spend 80% of the day sun bathing on top of each other. I will post pictures of my enclosure tmrw.

EAGOLD23

Original Poster
Seven65":bb6b1 said:
Oh I missed the part where you said they lay on eachother. Is it possible that the male is ontop of the female all the time? Because that will stop uvb absorbtion in the one underneath. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but i've read from this site that the only reason one will lay on the other is to get a higher basking spot and it has nothing to do with companionship, but that comes back to the age old arguement of bearded dragon social habits...

Well, there are about 3 equally high basking points, all equidistant from both uvb and heat sorce. When they are not on top of eachother they are running around chasing food or on their own perch, however they do prefer to sleep on each other. If one is outside the enclosure and gets up next the tank, they will try and climb the glass to get back in with the other. THey will only not wall climb if they are on the same side of the wall.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
EAGOLD23":d0604 said:
thats what i was planning, but i dont think 20 gallons is going to cut it. I have spoken with multiple people on the situation and it seems like there really is no best way. everything has its cons, EVERYTHING. They seem to love eachother, its bad they go nuts if i take them apart. Im hesitant to take any reccomendations, everyons says something different. I have been dealing with the one guy who has had no problem with walnut shell, even though i use carpet. Same guy also has had no problem with coil bulbs, even though i do believe that i am going to switch to tube lighting. And the whole separating them, the same breeder i deal with has had NO PROBLEMS with having two beardies of the opposite sex grow up together. Like i said i take one out and they go nuts to get back in with the other. Both will try and climb walls to get to the other one, they spend 80% of the day sun bathing on top of each other. I will post pictures of my enclosure tmrw.

Well you did come here for advise and heres my 2 cents.

#1 If your female dosnt grow and the male keeps growing.. he can hurt her or even kill her. You can leave them together but most don't like anyone else in their viv's its a known fact. VERY rarely does it ever work out and thats with 2 females. The male will just over breed her and she may get sick and weak. She can get stressed out and not eat or the male since hes bigger is prob eating up most of the food so shes not getting enough. Why risk it?

#2 If you read up on the coil bulbs they can harm your beardies eyes. Again why risk it.

#3 Walnut and any partical substrait can cause impaction and that can lead to death. Again why risk it. (I know you have yours on carpet)

And yes i know everything has its pros and cons but what if you could turn all those cons to pros? Id go the safe route anyday for my babys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom