Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirell

Hatchling Member
Hey all! My beardie barely eats since waking up from brumation last month. Every now and then he will nibble on his salad or eat a few crickets here and there but nothing like he did before brumation. I have not noticed any weight loss or decline in energy. Still alert and active. I know that sometime they wont eat a lot or at all for the first few weeks after they wake up but it has been awhile. When he does poop it looks fine. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance.

squirell

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well go figure. The day I post my concerns he decides to eat. I bought a bag of 18 crickets thinking he wasn't going to eat many. He demolished them! Wish I would have boughten more now... Will ahve to see if he will eat some supers now.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
haha whenever ive posted a concern about my beardie she all of a sudden makes a miraculous recovery... think they like to test us. Glad he's eating. I phoned the vet about my beardie not eating much and she said as long as she's not loosing weight etc not to worry too much

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
venomxpoison":3v1megtt said:
hey i need help guys, i bought my dragon 5 days ago and it is 18cm juvinile. only on first day it ate 2 meal worms and 1 cricket, but for 4 days it not eating anything. is it scare of me? or is it not hungry? for light i have basking light, heat rock, repti glo 2.0 and sun glo 15w. what should i do? try to feed her in different tank? or try to force feed?? pls help me. it is active, running and climbing around its terrarium. it is screen terrarium from exo-terra. i dont know what to do and make her eat??

don't feed mealworms- they cause impaction which can be very dangerous. Don't use heat rocks as it can burn the belly- beardies have few nerves on their underside so can't feel if they're getting burnt. I would try changing your UVB to a reptisun 10 tube to increase appetitie. Its only been 4 days since you've had your beardie- it'll need time to settle in and its eating will pick up.

Try starting your own post for suggestions :D

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
venomxpoison":2swdvig2 said:
heat rock is also from exo-terra and it says it is good for dragons because it get warm very slowly and turns it self of when it gets about 40c. it is warm not hot. besides my dragon climb up next to the basking lamb and sleeps right next to it. because it is screen terrarium it can climb every side of it. so you suggest that i need to chance sun glo or repti glo? there for it will start eating?? are they afraid of sound or people? because there is a tv in my room? and also does it scare of me? so i dont need to force feed my dragon because i really dont want to do! but the book i have says if it is not eating for a week, try force feeding? does it neccasery? thanks for your helps

beardies get heat from above so heat rock isn't necessary- exo-terra say they're ok for beardies coz they're interested in selling their products. For UVB a single reptisun 10 tube would be sufficient. I would keep offering your beardie the food and he will eventually eat it- give him time to settle in, sometimes it can take up to 2 weeks- its nothing to worry about. A lot of owners keep their beardies near a tv- mine is fine with music, hoover etc and beardies love being around people

squirell

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have'n't tried to feed him today yet. Im at work until 2pm so will try after i get home. Probably not gonna eat a whole lot the next few weeks though. Im moving so im expecting some relocation stress. Hopefully he gets through it quickly. Thanks for the replies everyone.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
squirell":1dy40xf9 said:
I have'n't tried to feed him today yet. Im at work until 2pm so will try after i get home. Probably not gonna eat a whole lot the next few weeks though. Im moving so im expecting some relocation stress. Hopefully he gets through it quickly. Thanks for the replies everyone.

When i rearranged my beardies cage it took her a while to get used to it and start eating 'normally'. Hope all goes well with the move and your beardie :D

venomxpoison":1dy40xf9 said:
catUK":1dy40xf9 said:
so shall i remove the rock and put an other basking lamb? and change reptisun to 10? but my cage is 60 x 45 x 60 cm thats why i use 2.0 but if it is for its benefit i will change it.

You'll need 1 basking lamp- i use 100w, a reptisun 10 UVB tube and a digital thermometer to monitor the temps. Different sized cages require different wattage lamps i.e. a smaller cage may need a 50w or 75w, whilst a bigger cage may need a 100w or more...

As long as temps stay above 65F at night you wont need any other heat sources- i use a ceramic heat emitter attached to a thermostat at night incase temps drop, which they rarely do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom