Not eating salad. At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys,
last time I posted this another conversation sprung up that wasn't helping Ollie or I, so I'm posting this again in hope for some help. Ollie doesn't seem interested in his salad. I give him Romaine lettuce, zucchini, carrots and apples and he started ignoring it a few days ago. I tried taking out different things but nothing works. He is still eating meat though. Please help, I don't really know how I should handle this. :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Try any kind of squash mushed and greens, dark green preferable, like collard greens, mustard greens, I buy the baby greens mix in the salad isle & they tend to eat some types. So they get a range of greens, anyway. My dragons love raspberries, some won't eat veggies, some won't eat greens but they all eat their worms. I have 5 adult beardies, from 8 yrs old down to 3 yrs old. They all have different likes & dislikes & sometimes they'll eat stuff they normally don't like. Can be confusing. Romaine lettuce isn't recommended for beardies. Try this nutrition chart at http://www.beautifuldragon.com under Nutrition, has a wonderful list of alot of foods, including veggies, greens, fruits, and flowers & other things at the end. I've been using it all of their lives, since 2006 anyway. It has helped a great deal.

NO romaine. It's mostly water and you can give your dragon runny droppings! Try collared, mustard, turnip greens. Corn, peas, apples, mangoes, bananas, carrots, berries, squash, zukeeni, etc.

Hello how soon did u start trying greens and veggies and fruits? My hatchling has shown no interest with kale and I haven't tried any other salads or veg/ fruits yet. Is there ones I should avoid right now because he's a baby yet? What ones did u start with as a baby? I want to establish great feeding habits now but wanna make sure they are safe first. We just had another hatchling that died a week after purchase due to misinformation that was given to me from the pet shop I got him from. I would not have even know that information was wrong had it not been for a beardie guide book I bought the night he passed away. So now he's been replaced with this new one and I'm so afraid to give him the wrong foods. I did run into another beardie owner at the store that said I could also feed meal worms as a baby as long as I smoosh the heads first so the worms don't eat the baby's Nellie from the inside out do u feel this info is correct also?

jtran1020

Hatchling Member
kittsigler":2val9l7o said:
Hello how soon did u start trying greens and veggies and fruits? My hatchling has shown no interest with kale and I haven't tried any other salads or veg/ fruits yet. Is there ones I should avoid right now because he's a baby yet? What ones did u start with as a baby? I want to establish great feeding habits now but wanna make sure they are safe first. We just had another hatchling that died a week after purchase due to misinformation that was given to me from the pet shop I got him from. I would not have even know that information was wrong had it not been for a beardie guide book I bought the night he passed away. So now he's been replaced with this new one and I'm so afraid to give him the wrong foods. I did run into another beardie owner at the store that said I could also feed meal worms as a baby as long as I smoosh the heads first so the worms don't eat the baby's Nellie from the inside out do u feel this info is correct also?

no mealworms! horrible nutritional value and can cause your bearded dragon to get compacted because they have high chitin

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
When Rubio was a baby (all the others were rescued or adopted and adults) I made a mixture of butternut squash & collard greens. I put the squash into a food processor to get tiny pieces and cut the greens into tiny squares. After blending it together I'd put it out to everyone. The older ones would eat some, but Rubio would pounce & eat a ton. So that's the salad I'd do for everyone, even the older ones, who hate greens, got into it because of the squash. As they got older I've been adding greens but making sure they still get protein every day or so. I buy organic baby greens & they all love them, I'm even getting Sweetie, who's 5 yrs old & has pneumonia, eating some of the greens. Because of the container, the greens stay fresh for about 4 days. So that's what I've been doing & some of them are starting to take some, Rubio and Sweetie eat more than the other 3.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Try processing the veggies with some fruits to get her to eat the them...and then decrease the amount of fruits over time until she is eating mostly greens. Most animals that I've come across like cantaloupe the most.

Would baby food work well too? I have so much baby food in my pantry from when my son was a baby( he's now 1) or even processing greens with the baby food?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Actually, that might work, yes! It's a great idea!

Tell me what happen afterward... I'm curious if he will eat them.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Also, I think I know what might work... The meal replacement powder for your crested gecko...Crested Gecko Diet. It comes in different fruit flavor. All you got to do is mix it as directed and then poor it onto the veggies in the food processor and process the veggies along with it. I hear a lot of fruit eating reptiles love the product and it is more nutritious than the fruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom