Not eating.Paniced.Digging-FINAL UPDATE w PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just had a question about the brand of the mercury vapor bulb you have. You can use a mercury bulb with the size of your tank, but the only brands that I recommend is the Megaray, the T-rex active UV heat, or the Hagen Exoterra Solar Glo. One of those will fit into the screw on fixture. However, what is your fixture rated wattage wise? It should be twice the amount of the wattage the light is putting out.
Don't worry she will eventually find a nesting spot. Put her in the laybox for a few hours per day, or just for short spurts until she wants out. She does have a little belly doesn't she?
Make sure to get some extra calcium into her, to make sure her levels stay optimum during this time.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi there, the bulb i have is 100w. Realsun.
Its the bulb both our reptile shops use in their tanks and the only one they sell.
If its not optimuim for her I will scout around for another one.

Thank you for your imput, but im a little confused. Should I leave her in her laybox or let her get out?
Conflicting advice here and online! hehe.

Any help you can give me would be appriciated ofc.

Holly

UPDATE:
Dexter is pacing around her laybox this morning.
I put her in her viv once whilst i was moistening the soil and she began to dig frantically.
As soon as i put her in the laybox she stopped!
Gah!!!

bmb527

Hatchling Member
I would just put her in the lay box, close the lid and she will figure out the rest. a day or 2 won't hurt her and she will be rid of all those pesky eggs. As for your light fixture, there is a built in safety margin of 125% of rated power. That means that if your fixture is rated for 200 watts, you can safely run a 250 watt bulb. One thing to remember is to NEVER let the cord touch the fixture, it will melt the plastic insulation creating a short and a fire hazzard.
Bill

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you can leave her in for a day or so as suggested. Alot of people just put them in for a few hours at a time so they can get used to it & try to begin burrowing. If she is ready to lay, she will. Hopefully she will not have too much trouble.
I always recommend when using a higher wattage bulb such as a mercury vapor bulb, to use at least 2 or 3 times the amount of wattage for the rating as what the light is. So, if the real sun is 125 watts, you need a minimum 250-300 rated wattage, but I always use a 500 rated wattage ceramic light fixture for a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.
The Real Sun, is that a Lucky brand? Do you know if it is from or made in China? How old is that bulb?
I ask because I have discussed that bulb on the UVB board regarding that light & I know it has not had the greatest UVB emission results so when you get a chance you might want to replace it with either a Megaray or a T-rex Active uv heat. They have much better output for you.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi there,
Ive had the bulb just under 3 months. I believe the bulb is an english brand?
There is a picture of it on another page I believe.
Would you recommend me getting a higher watt bulb for her laying? or is it in general not the best bulb?

UPDATE:
Day two still no digging in her box.
Still refusing food.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Two days in the laybox down.
Put her back in her viv for the night because she seems upset.
Will put her back in if she diggs.

I will put her back in the laybox tomorrow.

Ive been bathing her and feeling her lower belly and vent.
I cant feel any eggs or bumps in her.

Updated pictures of Dex to see if this could help?

Out of her laybox pre-bath
preg3.jpg

Grumpy out of the bath.
preg2.jpg

PS. She ate!!!! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:
First time since last thursday!!!
20 odd mealworms + a few waxworms!!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey there!

Im going through something similar with my little girl at the moment!! Shes all weighed down with eggs - iv been putting her in her nice pink lay box every day for about 20 mins to allow her to get to know it but she just wriggles around and goes to sleep!! lol!

Anyway, I found this link on the real sun and thought you might be interested in reading it!
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/equipment-supplies/90107-realsun-mercury-vapour-lamp-alert.html

Hope all goes well for Dexter!

T

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
sigh.
another 10 ***** points to the reptiles shops in my area.
will be getting onto it as soon as i can!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So no eggs yet? You can put a heatlamp over the laybox if you want to. Being warm usually helps with muscular contractions, too. Does she appear to like the laybox?
I hope that she lays soon. If she does not, we will have to look at other possibilities. You are positive she has eggs, correct?
Sometimes, it is hard to feel or see the eggs until very late stage.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hello.
Still no eggs indeed!
She still diggs like mad when she's out of her laybox but she wont when she's in it.
The soil in herlaybox is fine for her to dig in. She just seems to dislike being in there.

Im not positive she's holding eggs no, but her behaviour and fat tummy seems to fit perfectly.
So I guess its just a waiting game?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
UPDATE:
Still no eggs.
Keeping her in her laybox for around 4 hours a day.
Refuses to dig in it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep a close eye on her. If she has not laid in a week or so, I would confirm by x-ray. If she is in late stage pregnancy you should be able to see or feel the eggs.
Maybe setup a smaller laybox in her tank?? Perhaps she feels more secure in her tank rather than out of it. Just an idea to ponder.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks for your speedy responce.
Im keeping a very close eye on her.
My laybox is currently translucent so Im going to try covering it with a cloth to see if the darkness makes her feel more secure. If this doesnt seem to help I will move her too a small box.

Still cannot feel any eggs in her belly but we'll soon see.

Holly and Dex x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Holly,

Definitely do try those couple of different things. Hopefully she is not having any problems. Maybe the eggs just have not quite dropped through the shelling gland yet, & if they haven't it will still be a couple of weeks or so before she lays.
Good luck.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Todays update:
Ive moved her to a smaller darker laybox, but she still seems she wont dig unless she is in her viv.
Nibbled at her worms, but didnt really eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom