Not eating much, but still gaining weight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
Hello all, I'm worried about our big girl Electra. She is nearly 4 years old and has just hit 720 grams. She has been steadily gaining weight all spring, but no sign of eggs. She hasn't been eating much these last few weeks and she's making very small poops, way less frequently than she was.

(Usually she eats a big bowl of greens/veggies and poops everyday, but since mid-April she started eating a little less and I just figured she was trying to naturally maintain her weight, or lose a little). The temps are good, and we dust her food with calcium and a multi-vitamin from Beautiful dragons 3-4 times a week. There's been no change in lighting or temps, or diet. We offer good greens (turnip,collard, mustard and occasional hornworm or superworm).

I'm worried about what would cause the weight gain? Most people would probably suggest eggs, and she did lay 3 clutches last fall, but so far I don't see any outlines--I can't feel any. She has also gotten a bit lazier this spring. She's always been a very laid back beardie, but now she hardly moves around, though she will run if something entices her to--like a Bumblebee she chased down in the garden a few weeks ago, or a hornworm or black/blue berry that I dangle in front of her to get her to run. She seems happy, but I'm a bit worried. Here are some photos of our beautiful princess. Should we be concerned? I plan to take her next poop to the vet to make sure this isn't a parasite issue. Advice? Suggestions?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150324862233298&set=a.10150324862133298.424945.698523297&type=1&theater

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I do hope that there is no serious health issue. Please don't take offense, but I can tell you that unless she's 2 feet long, 700 grams is way overweight. You may want to have her seen by a vet to rule out some type of growth or other problem since she's not eating but still gaining. The multi vitamin should be no more than once a week, especially since she does eat her veggies. Hope all goes well, and she really could benefit from a " Slim-fast beardie diet, or get on the " Biggest Loser" beardie training program ! [ Just kidding !! All the best to you, really !]

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks ABHD,

She's actually a pretty big girl at 21.5 inches. We bought her a kiddie pool in the hopes that she would swim some of it off this summer. She actually hasn't been eating her veggies as much lately, that's why I'm worried. We'll probably be taking her to the vet next week. The thing is, aside from being a big, girl she's a pretty happy beardie. She loves to cuddle and has a very sweet (albeit) lazy disposition.

How does one put a dragon on a diet without being cruel?

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dear ILOVEMYSPIKE,

We bathe her everyday, as is trained to poop in her bath. It's been 3 days since her last little poo, which is very, very unusual for her. We even rubbed and bathed her twice yesterday :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi discojan, wow, she is a big girl. I'm sure she is a big cuddle - bug and very loved by your family. There is a possibility that she's developing eggs....other than that guess, your taking her to the vet is a good idea to see if anything is going on. Three days without a b.m is not at all unusual, except it DOES deviate from her normal routine so there's always a bit of concern. As for a diet, as long as she's eating some veggies with supplements, just keep the insects to once or twice a week. Like humans, once weight is gained, it's difficult to lose without upping the metabolism.....and exercise could help her, but how to get that exercise is the question. The kiddie pool is a good start. Also, if she is not too fast because of her weight, let her run in the yard as long as YOU are fast. LOL Or just some extra run time in the house.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
As I mentioned in my earlier posts, she is not keen on running. The only time we can get her to do it is if there appears to be a hornworm or a blueberry at the end...She is allowed to freeroam under supervision when I'm home writing, but she usually just sits next to me under the heat lamp :(She did move faster than I've ever seen her go before to chase (and eat!) a huge bumblebee in the garden, but usually she just basks next to the collard greens we're growing. I've got a leash, so running isn't a problem--the big problem is getting her motivated to move!!! Her favorite way to walk is sitting on my shoulder and letting me do the walking, unfortunately.

We cut the protein way back--only one hornworm a week, or a few supers, not both. But I didn't think greens were a problem, of course now she's not eating much of the greens either. Hmmmm....it's probably vet time.Thanks for your thoughts. She and our little one, Salsa, are our pride and joy. They are beloved parts of our family, and spoiled as well, they live a life of lizard luxury--perhaps too luxurious it seems!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmmmm......she RUNS after delicious bomblebee....RUNS after lip - smacking good hornworms and supers. I can see a new product to get reluctant couch - potato beardies to get some exercise, how about bug on a string ? As in, tie the bug to the end of a string which is fastened to a stick, and get her to chase. I envisioned it and it really struck me as funny. But seriously, maybe the pool will help, some good old water aerobics.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I like the Bug on a string idea--something tells me we would have quite a market here on bd.org! It's bright and sunny out today, so we hope to get Electra to swim in her pool. Beardie water aerobics here we come!

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, fortunately the fecal came back clear. And the vet said she's fine even at 700g, so we'll just be exercising her and hoping her appetite comes back.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, we bought her a big kiddie pool at kmart, and have started her on a swim aerobics regimen. Let's hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom