Not Eating. Mating Season??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mere88

My beardie is about 8 months old and hasn't been eating for about a week and a half now. In a few posts I've been told that its common behavior but its seems to be going for a while now. He does still eat butter worms as I gave him a couple a day ago since I was getting worried( He also still takes in/drinks water sometimes as usual.) Should I do something about this or just let it pass? (He is in that phase where he has a black beard sometimes out of nowhere)
Thank you!! -Mere

Not really an answer, but mine is doing the same thing. I can coax a superworm, hornworm, or blueberry, but he's not eating much otherwise. I'm convinced they just like to see us worry!

Mere88

Original Poster
I have a 50 watt Zilla light for where he basks, and I turn on his red light if hes in his hide at night. I was told he had a black beard because he was being hormonal or was going through puberty. He also only really gets black beards in the mornings so I'm starting to think maybe that's just when he gets grumpy.
-Mere

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Mere88":1kojl8y2 said:
I have a 50 watt Zilla light for where he basks, and i turn on his red light if hes not in his hide at night. I was told he had a black beard because he was being hormonal.
-Mere
No --- that would not cause the black beard---- my advice to you is to get rid of the red light bulb-- it can cause long term damage to your dragons eyes-- they are no good!! Many on this forum will tell that-- please please get rid of it-- it disturbs there sleep- theyneed darkness when sleeping like you and I-- that would be the cause of the black beard - he is in distress-- what kind of other lighting do you have in your tank? How are you taking basking temps? Can you please post pics of your tank
Karrie

Mere88

Original Poster
I have a UV light in his terrarium too, I'll get rid of the red light like you said too. His basking temps are usually about 90-100 and I use a digital laser infrared thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok w/ that being said --- here is some info for you on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- all you need in that tank is a really good UVB and a bright white basking bulb --- if you want more lighting you can get another dome and use a house hold bulb like a Regular 60 watt NO LED - if you need extra heat add a CHE w/ no light --- they run around $40 or so from the pet stores -- either a 75 watt or 100 watt I use a 100 watt in the winter months and off during summer months -- lights should be on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs --- the T 5 is a flat fixture and I had to order mine on line they dont sell the flat fixtures around where I live the T 8's you can find at Petco Petsmart and they take a regular fixture -- just make sure you get the 10.0 bulb - not the 5.0 HO they are more for tropical reptiles-- you should be able to use your fixture you have and just by the Reptisun T 8 bulb-- as far as basking as long its white and keeps temp to where they need to be your good
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom