Not breeding, but not sure what to do with eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, things have been going well since Arvo arrived 8 weeks ago. I discontinued the redlight two nights ago and thought Arvo's bad mood had disappearded because he finally got some good sleep. As I walked by his tank this morning I saw an oblong EGG sitting at the bottom and wondered "How'ed that get in there?" Hummmm... My Arvo has sinced laid three more eggs4 eggs normal for 1st time. She is only 10 months old. .. Is I have been watching HER carefully and hand feed her, her favorite greens, so she's eating.I just gave her about 10 dusted 3/4 crickets and she ate them like she was fammished. I have removed the eggs since I have no dirt and the eggs are just falling from her perch to the bottom of the tank. I have been reading some blogs but oh my gosh. "HELP" What do I do?? Anything? She seems tired alittle, she's enjoying the basking light, she's got uvb on her I haven't given her a bath yet, should I ?? I dont have potting soil, should I go get some?? EEEKKKKK? What would she like? Any suggestions.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hello!

I have a male dragon and know vey little about females and the whole egg laying, but I will offer up what I do know.
Unfortunately all females lay eggs, even if they have not been in contact with a male. So unless your female has been in contact with a male the eggs she will lay will be infertile, so they can just be tossed. :( I believe females can lay 2 times per year even if unfertile, but honestly im not sure maybe its just once per year if infertile :? .

When they start digging around and pacing alot this offten means they are wanting to lay. You can even feel the lil eggs inside of them. So you may want to check her and see if you can feel more. She may lay a few more up to 8 is common from what i have read. Yes if you can make her a little sand box to digg in this will make her more comfy. You can use organic soil (that had NO Pestisides and NO fertilizers) This is slighty damp but it will dry out in 24 hrs (keep an eye on your humidity). I have bought this type of soild in a 5 lbs bag at a place that sells plants, just like I say make sure it is just soil with out anything in it. These are also steralized so it would be best, but you can prolly use washed plat sand too . She will also need extra food and sups after laying. You may want to pick up some repta aid (reptilesupply.com) to help keep her hydrated and give extra nutrience and yes a bath is a good idea too. After she finishes laying the fat pads on the top of the head will prolly depleat so the top sides of her head my look sunk in, this is normal. They put alot of energy, fat and stored sups into their eggs, fertile or not. So feeding her extra nuritious foods and as much extras as she will eat. Some refuse to eat after egg laying others are ravionus, so if she is not wanting to eat try some bb food like squash, peas, carrots and chicken mixed with one of these and youll want mix the Repta aid in there (this will help make her want to eat as well) to help restore her fat and vits.

Hope this helps! So glade I dont have a female :D
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom