Not Basking at all....whats wrong with her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
The past 2 weeks I have noticed she has not been basking at all, and I come home today after work at 6pm and this is what she was doing....her light goes off at 9pm
100_0669.jpg

She hasnt been eating like she normally does...she's been pooping ok...
Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong with her?

MissT

BD.org Addict
How old is she?

Is she coming out of there at all?

What are your basking and cool side temps?

What UVB are you using?

Is she shedding?

Sorry, lots of questions.... just trying to rule out any common issues...

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissT":2qarx9ym said:
How old is she? I got her in FEB, the pet store told me she was about 6 months. So she's about 11 months right now, and she weighs 425 grams, and is only 15 1/2 inches long....

Is she coming out of there at all? Yea she comes out in the morning basks first thing for about 20-30 mins and goes under her bask for most of the day. Will bask very little. She goes from one side to the other.

What are your basking and cool side temps? Basking spot is 100-105.....under basking is about 80-90 and cool side 75-85....

What UVB are you using? I'm using the Solor GLO 160 Watt......
Is she shedding? She has not shed recetly, she use to shed every other week. She probably has not shed in 2-3 weeks.

Sorry, lots of questions.... just trying to rule out any common issues...

MissT

BD.org Addict
It could be the solar glo - there have been some issues regarding all the MVB bulbs and from what I remember the solar glow was said to produce inadequate levels of UVB and the levels of UVB decreased dramatically in the first few months of use.

If you can, change that out for a reptiSUN 10.0 linear tube (NOT REPTIGLO) alongside a normal white basking light for heat.

It might also be a good idea to get her in to a vet and see if they have any ideas. Have she had a fecal test recently? It could be a parasite issue...

Other than tht, I am just not sure.

Sorry I cant be more help.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissT":hqjesnx1 said:
It could be the solar glo - there have been some issues regarding all the MVB bulbs and from what I remember the solar glow was said to produce inadequate levels of UVB and the levels of UVB decreased dramatically in the first few months of use.

If you can, change that out for a reptiSUN 10.0 linear tube (NOT REPTIGLO) alongside a normal white basking light for heat.

It might also be a good idea to get her in to a vet and see if they have any ideas. Have she had a fecal test recently? It could be a parasite issue...

Other than tht, I am just not sure.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Thanks for info, helps a lot.
I bought the Solor GLO at Repticon show here in town. Before that I had a Repti-Glow 10.0 26W...and she did fine with that one I thought, maybe not. So I need a reptisun 10.0? what watt?

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's eating fine, but not pooping normally. She use to poop every day. Now maybe 2-3 a week, or I would have to put her in the tub to poop.

mellu

Juvie Member
Poopy problems might also have something to do with the MVB. Get a reptisun and give her one to two weeks, if she's not back to normal then there may be another, underlying issue. In the mean time give her baths every day and rub her tummy, a lot of people don't like "excessive" bathing but it's been my experience it's easier to get a poop daily when you do this. All of mine get daily baths as "potty time" and they rarely go in their tanks, won't simply WON'T poop in her house, haha. It's at the point now that they know what the bathroom means and Kira has actually taken to pooping on the counter while her tub fills up :lol: .

Also, if she keeps hiding after the UVB has changed it might be because something in her viv is not to her liking. Mika used to hide in the most awkward places until we gave her a hide with a sand box, which seemed like a godsend to her for a while, then she got sick of it and started black bearding whenever she went in it, so now she has her binky folded up under her hide and she snuggles down in that when she doesn't feel like basking. She does bask properly, on her own now and is just altogether happier.

That said your first concern if the uvb change doesn't help is to rule out any actual health issues, then if she's in the clear, see if your beardie is environmentally temperamental like mine, haha.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
First thing I thought was brumation, but its summer time here. Im in NC...its like 101 degrees outside.
Ive taken her outside a couple of times, just so she could get some real UVB's.

I honestly think its the light....because for me she's not pooping right(you have to have right lighting to poop), She's been eating fine(lettuce and dubias). One other big reason for me is that she's been them same length the past month and a half....she's getting fatter, but not length wise. She's been 15 1/2 for a while. She was 9in when I got her in February(supposedly 6moths old, but I don't know if that's true either) .

It's hard for me to figure how to set her cage up now....because all I have is one light on her cage which is plugged into the wall with a timer.
Should I keep the solorGLO as for her heat, and the just buy a reptisun and shine it over her basking spot? They don't both have to be directly in the same spot together right?

This is her cage set-up right now
100_0642.jpg

mellu

Juvie Member
Definitely not brumation. What you should do is use a basking bulb and put it over one end of her tank or the other, then buy a reptisun that spans most of the length of the tank. I bought a ballast that is just two caps and both are attached by two wires to a switch, it only cost me $30, I hung them by the wires and the top of the tanks keep the light in place, i use tinfoil as a reflector :). Hang on and I'll find a picture of my baby tank.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I would go with normal household bulb if ur getting the reptisun. Some do brumate 'out of season' so to speak but I def think any other issues should be explored first. Has she had a fecal test recently?

mellu

Juvie Member
0405011213.jpg
You can see how there are only caps over the ends of the bulb, those are how it's hung as well, I got them at the pet store, in the fish tank section.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissT":2iwc0lr9 said:
I would go with normal household bulb if ur getting the reptisun. Some do brumate 'out of season' so to speak but I def think any other issues should be explored first. Has she had a fecal test recently?

Not recently, I took her in April to the vets over a infected eye that cleared up in a week :D
I made them do a whole checkup on her...and everything was good. He told me I was doing a wonderful job with her! He told me he did find some little bitty eggs in her fecal that could be parasites but as long as her stool was not runny to not worry about it. The only time it's been really runny is when I feed her, her favorite snack; Horn worms :p (Then I was also feeding her Crickets from a bait shop, she's getting dubias now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom