Not a new dragon, but new to the board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogonaValentino

Hello! As I said in the subject, I'm new to the board/ site, but have had Valentino since 2/15/09. (If you are guessing that the date has something to do with his name, you are very correct!) Valentino came into my life unexpectedly. I work in a pet store, and some cowardly person abandoned him there. They hadn't said anything to anyone, just dumped him and left. We found him in a box full of dirty sand, in a shopping cart, left near the rest of the reptiles. When he looked up at me, I was in love. When I picked him up, he closed his little eyes and just seemed happy to be held. I had had no plans for getting a dragon, but when I saw him, there was no doubt in my mind that he was my baby. Everything wasn't rainbows and cotton candy, though. He had an infected right eye, about six layers of unshed skin in his ears that actually prevented him from hearing much of anything, and though he was a full grown dragon, he weighed only about 150-170 grams (this is a guess as I wasn't able to weight him until we went to my personal vet a few weeks later, where he weighed 172g). He was weak and skinny and pathetic. So much so, that he went from Valentino to Valentina and back several times during the first few months I had him because we could not figure out what he was- he is the length of a female (my vet thinks he is stunted from poor care), with a narrow head, but with HUGE femoral pores. We have no idea how old he is, which terrifies me. I'm so afraid that my time with him will be cut short way before I'm prepared for it. However, while he is in my life, I'm enjoying every minute of it- even when he poops on my bed, or has some totally minor issue that causes me to freak out and rush to the vet! (Thank goodness for living only 5 minutes from an exotic vet!!) He is the most wonderful dragon I could ask for, and I hope this site can help me be the most wonderful "mom" he could ask for!

Some pictures, of course! They are taken with phones, sorry!

This is what Valentino looked like 2 weeks after we found him. So skinny! Don't mind the "Dragon" label, it's a joke at my store.
phoneVal.jpg

This is his goopy eye. You can also see all the dead skin in his ear.
eyeVal.jpg

The two of us last Halloween: I'm the queen bee, and he's my worker bee. Although he really didn't do any work aside from being adorable!
Bumblebees.jpg

He loves his berries!
berryVal.jpg

Here's him checking Facebook. You can (sorta) see he's gotten much chubbier!
facebookVal.jpg

And lastly, evidence of my ridiculous love for this dragon: a bumper magnet on my car.
bumperVal.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Great rescue, we love hearing about rescues. I hate cowards who give up and abandon their responsibilities it says a lot of their character. Anyways I can tell by the laptop picture he is healthy again, I would love to see more of his recent pictures as well as what steps you took in rehabilitating him. That knowledge can be very useful for others who are struggling to do what you have accomplished.
Again great job :D
Oh and before I forget Welcome :wink:

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
welcome! so sad that someone could be so cowardly as to abandon a pet like that. but i'm so glad to hear that you saved him! :)

ViciousCharmander

Hatchling Member
It's awesome that he has found you!!! he is a handsome little devil. Just remember that when it is his time to go, at least he was loved by someone who is willing to give him the proper care he needs. you did a great job with him!!!

I also work at a PetCo, I am the reptile expert, so I get to do all of the cage set ups and cleaning. I have also started them on a decent calcium powder (they were only using a multi-vitamin) and we are a no sand store :D

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
That's wonderful that you were able to rescue him and obviously provide a much better life for him :) I just rescued one on Tuesday that is pitaful, but not as skinny as yours was! It's amazing how fast they work their way into your hearts huh ? :)
Valentino is handsome and I look forward to seeing some more pics.
Carrie

PogonaValentino

Original Poster
I was very lucky with Valentino in that I really didn't need to take "steps" to help him recover. All I did was feed him, heat him, and provide veterinary care when he needed it- or when I thought he needed it. Meaning, he has probably gone many more times than has been necessary! For mouth rot (stained teeth), for an impacted pore (kinda clogged, but eh), a hair probably severing his bowels (a hair twisted in nothing but poo), for not pooping (actually this was legit- he goes for long periods without pooping and drives me crazy!). But better visit the vet too often than not enough, right? And thanks everyone, I think he's handsome, too! He still has to gain about 50g according to his doctor. Anyway, here's a few better pics of him now.

Enjoying his warm bath. (During which he pooped! Yay!)
100_0206.jpg

Being angry that I took him out of his warm bath!
100_0214.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom