Normal Growth - Concerned New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
So I purchased Hue Jackman about a month ago, at the time I purchased him his breeder (local reptile store who specializes in beardies) told me he must have been born around April so therefore was 5 months old. That being a month ago he should now be at 6 months of age. I measured him today and he is only 9.5" long and weighs 30 grams.

Setup: 40 gallon breeder, 160W Mercury Vapor- Solar Glo, Exo Terra
Basking spot 113 degrees Fahrenheit/ Mid tank 85-90* / Cool side 78* (All Temps taken at the time of writing this post, I have a Infrared Thermometer by Commercial Electric... his temp ranges are always a degree or two within those ^^^ parameters during the day) His tank never gets below 68 degrees at night. He has a hide which he's never bothered to go in, a large white rock in the middle of the tank that he hangs out on on occasion, a large branch for him to bask on that has varying height and a hammock in the hot corner for him to hang out on and get closer to his lamp if he chooses. There is an aloe plant in his tank that is in organic soil with no fertilizer, he has not tried to bite it.
His substrate is play sand, I have ordered reptile carpet to move him onto (he has not had any problem, but I know it is an impaction risk and will be changing this very soon).

Diet: He is eating regularly, he somewhat puts his nose up at his greens but he'll have a few bites of them per day (mustard, collard) he gets some snap peas and green beans (trying some squash this week). We are breeding our own crickets so I'd say he gets about 10-20 of those a day (less if I catch larger ones, more if they are smaller) and he also get's phoenix worms and the occasional meal worm as a treat. Crickets are dusted three out of four feedings with Rep-Cal phosphorous free Calcium with Vitamin D3 and twice a week crickets are dusted with Rep-Cal Herptivite with beta carotene Multivitamin.

Voiding: He goes everyday, sometimes twice a day. Everything seems firm, it's never loose, always a brown feces with a white urate.

Vet: I took a stool sample into the vet last week because I know how common parasites are, his stool sample was positive for Pin Worms. He received 0.5cc of Pyrantel pamoate, according to instructions I am to give him three more doses (@ 0.5cc) at two week intervals from his first dosage.

Activity: He gets a bath about 3 times a week. He is alert and is super friendly, he likes running around on my bed but also is a super sweet cuddler. He does do a bit of glass surfing during the day but he does not have any of the stress markings on his throat or stomach. When I do take him out (at least once a day) I make sure that it isn't for an extended period of time so his body temp doesn't get too low.

AND FINALLY MY QUESTION: Is he WAY under length and weight for his age, or do you think I was given the wrong date of birth?

The reptile store I got him from does have a LOT of beardies for sale (I'd say probably a couple hundred) cages were always clean etc.. They had some Leatherbacks, Hypos, Trans, and it seemed like he had some solid breeding stock of about 25 full grown beardeds, there were about 20 around Hue's size, about 20 that were a bit bigger, and maybe 40 that were a bit smaller and then a TON of tiny hatchlings. With speaking with him it seems like he did sell wholesale. I got the impression that Hue was bred there and he did at one point show me a full grown female that was most likely his mother. When we were filling out the paperwork and going over care he kinda hemmed and hawed over how old Hue was and picked 5 months ago from the day I purchased him as his date of birth. All of his dragons seemed to be really happy and healthy, I don't doubt he knows his stuff (although he does keep all the older juveniles and adults on play sand and seems pretty adamant that it is a perfectly fine substrate) but I am wondering if he was off about how old Hue was. ORRRRRRR was he spot on and Hue is just small for his age and the worm issue has somewhat stunted his growth?

In the month I've had him he finished shedding his tail (which was gray when I bought him) and hasn't shed since. I am head over heels in love and obsessed with this lil guy, perhaps I am worrying too much. 6 months old, 9.5 inches long from tip of nose to end of tail, and 30 grams. Is that normal? Is he tiny?

Thanks in advance, I'll post a few pictures of his setup and him. He really is quite the handsome lil guy (Sandfire Red I do believe)!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....Hue is a very handsome guy, that's for sure. :) He would be quite small for 6 months so maybe you are right that the guy was not sure....you said he was stalling when it came to giving his age ? Was he maybe just an employee or are you sure it's the owner ? Employees aren't always up on everything going on in the store. Then again it could be that he is just over all smaller + a slow grower. Worms wouldn't necessarily cause stunted growth unless he is not eating well, but he would probably be lethargic, too if that was the case. By the way, you can feed him about another 10 crix a day if he'll eat them....that can help him pick up some size. Oh, and you only need to dust one feeding per day.

So yes, he IS small for a 6 month old, but he can still hit a good growth spurt and end up pretty big.
By the way, did they determine gender at the store ?

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
It's a father and son owned and operated business (the son is in his mid to late 40's I'd assume). He definitely paused when asked about the age and they did sex him. Comparing him to everything I've read I do believe he is male.

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
Cooper if those are the growth trends then ins't Hue TINY??? Unless of course his age is not actually what I was told it was, but still even if he is a bit younger than 6 months he is matching the length and weight of dragons that are only two months old.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How much has he grown since you yourself got him from the store ? Hue IS very small.....that being said, the owner either gave you the wrong hatch date and Hue is really only 3 months old or so [ average size for a 2.5-3.5 month old ] or else he sold you a runt or stunted baby. Maybe they guessed wrong. Hue can still get much bigger though, but try to increase the amount of insects you give him. Even if he doesn't eat more, he'll slowly but surely grow.

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
I didn't get a weight on him or a length when I first got him, he's definitely put on some weight though and probably a little length as well. I've been giving him more insects the past few days and he's only occasionally not consuming all of them.

He was in a large open top cage that had another 15 or so dragons all the same size as him with pretty similar markings, so I doubt he was a runt and maybe he was just off on the age.

I'm assuming as long as he's continuing to eat and grow that we are doing well. Right? I'll track down a photo from the first day I got him and post it. The ones I posted above (with the exception of the last one, we're just taken yesterday.

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
First night with him 09/07/2015:

Today 10/06/2015 after bath time, I tried to pose him similarly on my arm and use my tattoo as a reference guide. :lol:

Ok seeing these side by side put my heart to rest a bit, especially the first one and the last one.

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
Normal progress for a month? His eyes look a little sunken in the second pic, but he was mid blink, they're quite vibrant and alert.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good + healthy, and he should grow at a normal rate with the amount that you're offering him. I think the store owner for some reason mistakenly told you the wrong hatch date. If not, then the entire clutch are very slow growers....but Hue looks very good . :) I wouldn't worry as long as he's eating well.

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
:blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :roll:

**wipes sweat from brow**

This little guy makes me so incredibly happy! Being a first time owner I'm a bit nervous but I've definitely done my research and I'm glad you think he is looking healthy. Comparing the two pics side by side put me to ease a bit, he IS growing. I AM growing (crazy) :lol:

He's snuggled on my chest watching my type, off to give some well deserved head scratches.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
My boy was 4 months when I got him and was 7 inches, in a little over 5 months he grew 11 inches!!!! No worries how big they are now, they have growth spurts to some weeks/months will be more than others, he is just over a year old and in the last 3 months has grown 1/2 inch so expect to see growth slow down rather abruptly. Looks like a pretty Dragon you got

YahMezSoup

Original Poster
Finally received my kitchen scale from Amazon, Hue was 30g when he went into the vet on 10/3 and today 10/11 is a whopping 47g!!!

So I should have no reason for concern right? ;)

God I LOVE this little guy, he has started his first head/body/hind leg shed and looks so silly. Looking forward to seeing his bright colors again in a few days. Is there a normal amount of time between when they start to look a little dusty and they finally shed? We're probably on day three or four of him visibly being different.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's bulking up, huh ? I think you meant his weight has gone from 30 grams to 47 grams. :)

And yes, they are sweet and adorable little pets. The little ones generally shed pretty quickly, but they're all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom