no flying roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic

Juvie Member
I am going to try some roaches for Houdini. I got a few in a cricket order once, and the FLEW! None of this 3" fluttering I've heard about, I was holding the HUGE cricket bin up over my head hoping the roaches would stop flying and fall in. It was a sight to see. What roaches DO NOT fly, at all, and don't climb plastic/glass? Thanks!

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Dubia which are the most popular roach do not fly, climb smooth plastic or glass, discoids are the same. Yes some of the males might flutter but I keep thousands and I have never seen on make it farther than 3-4" They dont fly up either they do more of a flying fall.

ikkie78

Juvie Member
To quote Buzz Lightyear from the movie Toy Story..."I'm not flying, I'm falling with Style!"

Haha...sorry it made me think of that line! I watched that movie way too much apparently while babysitting my buddy's 2 year old! :D

patrickb

Juvie Member
These are the ones I can think of mainly that do not fly (they can flutter) and do not climb smooth plastic or glass. They are listed in order of what my preference would be if I had to choose them right now for a beardie.

Blaptica Dubia (Dubia)
Blatta Lateralis (Turkestans)
Blaberus discoidales (False Death's Head)
Byrsotria Fumigata (Cuban Burrowing)
Blaberus Boliviensis (?? Not sure of common name, seem new to the feeder market)
Blaberus Craniifer (Death's Head ??) <-- most likely will be a hybrid if you purchase this species
Blaberus Fusca (Dwarf Cave Roach)

The last two on the list are the largest roaches about 3" and 3.5" respectively, but I include them because you can still feed the nymphs. Most likely though, you would go with one of the first two roaches for your purpose.

Epic

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I traded the rest of my crickets for some Dubai's with another user on here. They are definitely not what I accidentally got last time. I, and Houdini are pleased with the roaches. I have also ordered the complete kit from the roach guy, so I'll be going in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom