Nikko's leg update

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
So around Sept9 he hurt his foot. It became very swollen. (i shared pics here) I wasted NO time in taking him to the vet. Took him as soon as I could.

The vet that saw him is also the SAME and the ONLY one who sees Petsmart and Petco's animals/reptiles. That made me nervous- I had reservations. But no choice. Only place open on a Saturday at 4pm.

She said he looked supremely healthy and he probably twisted his ankle. Gave me Baytril and sent us home.

I removed everything from his cage- it's like a giant fluffy bed in there now. Basking light and Reptisun and things to snuggle softly on. I waited a week to start the antibiotics thinking it was just a twist and would get better. After a week no improvement BUT his appetite remained voracious and he was spunky still and still tried running around. Two days after I started Baytril his appetite decreased. 3 days after he stopped being so spunky but was still alert. Now we are almost 6 days in on the Baytril and he has had 5 crickets since yesterday morning (it's almost 2pm the next day) and two of them he ate this morning. She swore up and down Baytril has ZERO side effects because I asked. I am a mom of 4 kids- I know what the heck I am doing with meds. I ask questions.

Now he is laying alot in weird positions and just less active than normal. He is still sweet as ever and he won't stay in 'bed' unless we snuggle for about an hour in the PM, then I cover him up and he sleeps all night. If I don't do that then he finds a weird spot in the corner of the tank and like he's 'climbing up it' falls asleep like that. Today his leg is really swollen and he favoring it more than usual. Things I recall him doing when I first got him were trembling briefly when I first held him (thought maybe he was scared and let it go) and his rear end is getting nubbier (like the bones poking up more than usual)...it's just weird. His tank buddy at Petco was obviously sick and now I'm just pissed. Their lighting is for crap there, their tank temps are def not all that warm, food I saw them eating appeared to be an iceburg salad mix.

I love my Nikko. And I am just mad and mad and mad for him. How much pain is he in?? He just has to 'endure'? This sucks. I am taking him to MY usual vet (was vet hospital I took him to before) and I hope pray hopppppe that they know what the heck they are doing. I leave in about 45 minutes. I will report back.

I am obsessed with figuring out how this could have happened. From Day ONE I have obsessed with getting it all correct. Temps, humidity, basking light, UVB light (around day 8-10 of having on whatever light they sell there- my Reptisun finally arrived), ditched the calcisand asap, put in tile, baths, little crickets 2-3 x's a day, fresh approved greens (mustard, dandelion etc), snuggled daily, almost never let my children touch him, dusted crickets once a day, UVB and heat light on 12hrs/off 12hrs...I spared no expense and spent many sandy red eyed nights making sure I was doing it all right. Could the week or so he was on the generic light I first had bought done this?? Is this all my fault from one stupid bad light for a week?

:( I feel so bad for my little Nikko.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Baytril is an antibiotic and not what should have been used to treat this. I would assume if she thought he had twisted his ankle she should have given him a pain killer rather than an antibiotic!!!

Anyway, antibiotics destroy the good gut flora and that is most likely the reason why he has stopped eating - I am assuming you have not bbeen using a probiotic? You can get acidophiliz from www.bug-de-lite.com or you could try looking in your local pet store for benebac. Until you can get one of those, you can give him some non-dairy soy yoghurt which will help restore his tummy.

Personally, I would suspend use of the baytril until you can get him to another vet. Are there other reptile vets in your area?
How is the injured foot now?

I do not think 1 week without proper uv would cause this. Im not even really sure that it is mbd.

A picture might be helpful though, so if you can, please post a picture of him.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm getting ready to head out to the vet. His foot is actually worse than it was even a week ago. It seems to have gotten worse after Baytril. I will pick up some of that Benebac on my way home. I hope it's not MBD. Seriously hope it's not. It's so swollen at this point it looks like it should be bursting- ouch! I've done everything she (vet) said to do except she wanted me to give the Baytril right away. Something said don't - so I didn't. (I'm a mom and I usually listen to that little voice) Then when he wasn't getting better I thought oh crap it's an infection you ***** and you should have given him the Baytril. So I started giving him that and now he doesn't want to eat and it looks more swollen. :( I'll report back and also get a pic. Thank you so much for responding. No one gets that he as precious to me as one of my cats or other furbabies. <3

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pictures to follow later tonight. I love love love my vet. He asked about lighting, diet etc (other vet at other place did not) and chatted about calcium and gutloading crickets. Admittedly sees more birds than reptiles but Nikko wasn't his first Beardie. Did an xray and while it looked a break to me- he said it was not but definitely trauma with loads of swelling. Restricting him for being able to use his foot at all- just lays limp. He really wanted to get a sample of the liquid to see if it were an infection or what it was. I let him. I figured it was one less thing to have to 'guess' at. No infection- white blood cells were at a really healthy level. It was lymph or something plus blood- he said no sign of pus at all. He said it actually looked like a hematoma - he said very close to looking like a blood blister. He wants to give him a liquid calcium supplement or something (can't recall the name), stop the baytril (since there is no infection and he has last 1 gram in 2 days from not eating) and he said time basically. But he said hopefully not too much time or the leg could atrophy from lack of use and could end up with a bum leg.

I asked him about MBD and he said no way. He said his bone formation (from xray anyway, not sure how they diagnose it) looked really good. Nice calcification, nice thickness and shape (I assume this is all good). My only regret through this whole thing is giving him the Baytril at all. My mom gut was telling me don't and when it wasn't getting better I panicked and gave it and I should have trusted my gut. He'd be eating better.

He's my little buddy. I hope his leg heals and it doesn't atrophy.

He didn't have ANY pro-active instructions for me in the meantime. I asked. Nothing. But if any of you have any recommendations to help my little buddy feel better, more comfy...anything while he heals I would love to hear! <3 Thank you so much for any reading and wishing Nik well. <3

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
My dragon (who has MBD) does well and is in less pain after he has some metacam. Maybe you can ask the vet about that? from your description I dont think it is MBD. Also, I agree the baytril is an antibiotic not something for pain.

MissT

BD.org Addict
That's great! Sounds like you have found a great vet!

How old is he? Perhaps you could get him some silkworms- they also help with pain :D

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys.

MissT- I'll look into silkworms (altho Nik won't eat Reptiworms. he used to love mealies before I took them away)...maybe he'll like silkies. :D He's approx 10-12 weeks old.

He has lost some weight and he's soooo skinny. :( He is down to 14 grams. He was creeping up past 15 grams. It's amazing how much impact 1 gram on him has. Even my kids noticed without me saying anything. But I will say that although I am doing daily baths- he still likes to get sips from his water dish. So I've been leaving that in there. He actually seems happier with the water dish in (I had it out for a while). His leg looks really swollen today though- vet warned it would after the poke to get liquid from the swelling (to get a culture- see if it was infected). Poor little guy. He snuggled on me for over 2 hours last night. <3

I'll also check out the metacam!

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, Im so sorry Nikkos not feeling too well, but I agree, sounds like you got yourself a good vet there. :)

Tell Nik I hope he feels better soon! <3

MissT

BD.org Addict
I think he may be too little for metacam. Give me 10 mins to finish snuggles with Huff and I will go check if he is too small for serrapeptase- it's the enzyme in silkworms that helps relieve pain :D
try him with small silkworms if you can get some- they look kind f like mealies so he might enjoy them :)

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pixall":10ac1j2d said:
Aww, Im so sorry Nikkos not feeling too well, but I agree, sounds like you got yourself a good vet there. :)

Tell Nik I hope he feels better soon! <3
Thank you so much!

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissT":j1feoqsu said:
I think he may be too little for metacam. Give me 10 mins to finish snuggles with Huff and I will go check if he is too small for serrapeptase- it's the enzyme in silkworms that helps relieve pain :D
try him with small silkworms if you can get some- they look kind f like mealies so he might enjoy them :)
Thank you. I just checked out silkies and I am terrified I will kill them. LOL They look so fragile (and pretty!). But maybe they would be useful for food right now too? He's down to a handful of crickets a day now- I know that's why he is losing weight. Vet said the Baytril probably upset his tummy and caused appetite loss (he didn't prescribe the Baytril). He's been off the Baytril for 2 days so I *hope* his appetite increases soon. I feel so impatient for his foot (ankle actually) to heel. I would hate for him to be reduced to one rear leg for the rest of his life. :( I'd still love him to bits but just a huge bummer for him.

Off to get pics of my little stud (or studette. have no idea what he is yet) If the silkworms would be good for him- I'll get him some. He needs some calories.

Also question for anyone...I have to put him on a liquid calcium supplement for a few weeks (oral med)- should I stop dusting his food while I do that?

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissT":5y0enztf said:
Oh, also, did you manag. To find any probiotics? Those will help his tummy :D
I did grab some benebac but not exactly sure how to give it to him. He only eats a couple leaves of greens a day. Not sure what I'd put it on?

MissT

BD.org Addict
You can just squeeze a tiny amount straight into his mouth or put it on one of his live feeders if he will take it? If you offer it to him on your finger, he might even just lick it off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom