Newbie Owner, Baby beardy is not eating enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennYoshi

Hey guys, I am a new beardy momma, I purchased my lil dude last thursday. He has eaten roughly 1-3 crickets per day and maybe 1-2 meal worms per day and a couple bites of veggies. I am worried that he is not eating enough. Basking spot is roughly 98F, cool side s 76F. I have a 40 G tank, 150W daytime basking light, plus a repisun 10 UVB bulb. He has stuff to climb, and things to hide on both warm and cool side. I had sand as a substrate at first but have taken it out and just have paper towel for now.
He seems alert but does sleep often as well. Is this the new environment stress?

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
It can take some days for beardies to get comfy with a new habitat. Continue to offer him tasty food and if he is still not eating by Thursday, let us know. With new beardies it's a good idea to take a fecal to the vet to test for parasites and bacteria, if he poops.

Also, for babies you want to bump the basking spot up a few degrees. Babies like it warmer. The basking spot can get up in 105-110F (MAX MAX) range.

As for a 150 watt in a 40 gal breeder - that seems a bit overkill, IMO. I would drop down to 100 watt in a tank that size. How are you taking your temps? in the 90s with a 150 watt bulb in a 40G enclosure doesn't really sound right.

JennYoshi

Original Poster
I origionally had a 100W bulb in but I could not raise the basking temp above 80. Switched to the 150W. I use the temperature gages that came with the Terrarium, ZooMed Analog dual temp and humidity gage. just checked on him again and basking temp is 100F.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He is a beautiful color. He needs to be eating small crickets 3 times a day. No meal worms. I would suggest getting a digital probe thermometer, that way you will know what the temperatures really are. Those dial thermometers are so inaccurate. There’s lots of good info on this site, just keep reading & asking questions.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
JennYoshi":1hc9a0vq said:
I origionally had a 100W bulb in but I could not raise the basking temp above 80. Switched to the 150W. I use the temperature gages that came with the Terrarium, ZooMed Analog dual temp and humidity gage. just checked on him again and basking temp is 100F.
Do yourself a favor and get something like one of these (infrared temp gun): https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1545005620&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=infrared+temperature+gun&psc=1

I use mine multiple times per day - it is a lifesaver

JennYoshi

Original Poster
Terry15":cqq4iqhd said:
He is a beautiful color. He needs to be eating small crickets 3 times a day. No meal worms. I would suggest getting a digital probe thermometer, that way you will know what the temperatures really are. Those dial thermometers are so inaccurate. There’s lots of good info on this site, just keep reading & asking questions.
Are there other live meals to offer? or only crickets? I also offer small diced up kale, carrots, zucchini, celery, and apple no skin.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Small Dubai roaches, phoenix worms are great and full of calcium, wax worms are good too.
Collard greens are better than the kale, also mustard greens - instead of celery and carrots I would give green beans and butternut squash. Mine love anything red, so a red bell pepper would be nice.
He's so adorable!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
JennYoshi":spmqbeag said:

I started out with a 100W bulb sitting directly on the mesh lid and not too far from the basking spot for mine when he was a baby, but in retrospect, it was probably too intense. I was trying to get the air temperature higher, but after learning more, I found that it's the surface temp on the spot/area that's the target, and that using an IR gun is best for getting that reading. Those dial things are pretty unreliable. I don't know where you are, but I picked up a gun for around US $25 recently and found that I only needed 75W bulb at much more distance than I had before to achieve ~105F.

There's a guide somewhere on the site about how to properly take a reading with an IR gun, but I've found a quick click at about 1" from the spot seems to produce repeatable readings on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom