Newbie Intro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffmum

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking here for a few days and thought it was time to introduce myself. I am Suzanne and am brand new to reptiles.

I never thought I would ever have a reptile in the house but a few weeks ago my 4.5 yr old daughter started showing a lot of interest in the reptiles in Petsmart. I had been wanting to get a new pet that was different for a while so I started to do some research. I decided that we could probably do a leopard gecko and went to the reptile store to see what they suggested. They suggested either a leopard or crested gecko. I needed to get some things ready first so I picked up some supplies for a leopard and headed home. The next day I went back and had decided to get both geckos. I was totally hooked on them.

While doing my research I kept coming back to beardies. However, I figured I just couldn't find room to set up a large tank. After a couple more days and my daughter asking about them frequently while at the reptile store. I decided that I could find the space and proceeded to come home with a new setup and a cute baby beardie. :D This was Monday and exactly 1 week after I got the geckos :oops:

I am totally in love with my new little guy. He is about 10-12 weeks old, 7" long, and weighed 18g yesterday. I am about 95% sure he is male. His setup is a 20gal long. I started out with the rabbit pellets that the store had him on just so that he wouldn't have as many changes but yesterday decided I couldn't keep him on those. I really didn't like the idea of the repti-carpet so I bought some sand along with the carpets. I knew sand wasn't a good idea but bought it anyways. Well I put the carpet in today and I love it! Needless to say the sand will be returned to the store (it actually never even made it out of the car).

The rest of the setup that I got included a 24" long reptisun 5.0 and a 60 watt blue basking bulb. Last night I ordered a reptisun 10.0 and today I bought a white 50 watt basking bulb. I had to put that on a dimmer switch as my temps are a little high (basking rock 120, cool side 90, basking branch 105). I will keep checking temps until I get things right. Of course, today wasn't the best day for cool as it was 99 outside and the room he is in was about 85-88.

Today was the best day so far for him for eating. The first day he ate nothing and the next 2 he ate about 5 crickets each day. Today he ate some greens and about 20-25 crickets. I also noticed his stress marks are getting lighter, although they still have a ways to go.

Along with Puff the Magic Dragon our current count is: 3 daughters (4.5, 3, and 8 months), 3 dogs (2 Alaskan Klee Kais, 1 Papillon), 9 cats, 2 rats, 2 mice, 1 green-cheeked conure, 1 leopard gecko, 2 crested geckos, and 1 saltwater fishtank. Oh yeah, 1 very tolerant husband!

As soon as I download the pics I will post them!

Beardies are the best! You are lucky to have ALL the right stuff because I started out without a UV light!
I'd love to see pics of the little guy :D

Keaton

puffmum

Original Poster
OK, I am hoping that this will work. I have some Pics to post now :!:
CIMG0116.jpg

This is his current setup. It is a 20 gal long.
CIMG0118.jpg

Here he is taking a bath today. He really doesn't know what to think about baths yet.
CIMG0122.jpg

And here we are getting some sun today.

raleej337

Got one question...are you planning on putting up a mini zoo? j/k honestly I envy you for having a lot of space for your pets. My wife always telling me that she's sure that if ever we moved to a bigger place (currently we are in a 1 bedroom apt.) I'll ask for a room where I can put all the animals I wanted to get.

Anyways congratulations and welcome to the beardie world, where your pet is your boss and you are the slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom