Newbie Beardie Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrod12

Hello everyone! I'm not only a new beardie owner but also new to the forum! :blob5:

This is my little "guy" (I honestly don't really know the gender) Norbert! I've had him for three days now and I'm super excited about owning my first beardie. I do have a few questions for you pros though.

I've been dusting his crickets with calcium powder that contains D3. How many of his crickets each day should be dusted? Is there any danger to just feeding him ALL his crickets with powder on them while he's this young? He's been eating great and has even already used the bathroom without a bath. I'm mainly just concerned about the calcium.

I'm also having a few lighting issues. :banghead: He's currently in a 40 gallon breeder and originally, I had a basking and UVB light over the "hot" side of the tank and a heat bulb over the "cooler" side. The temps were WAY too low on each side, so today I purchased a much stronger 125 watt heat bulb. This got the temperatures up, however the "cool" side was nearing 105 and the "warm basking" side was 80! So I've flipped the heat bulb over to the "warm" basking side. The only concern I have, is that his UVB bulb and basking bulb are now on the opposite "cooler" side of the tank, and he doesn't go over there very often. Is there any reason to be concerned about him not basking under the UVB? It's still there, but he won't be under it very often. I've attached a picture of the tank if it helps out any (don't judge on the lack of deco, my goal was to get the necessities and then proceed to decorating! :D )

Last one, I know baby beardies don't eat too many veggies. But my little guy has yet to touch his. Any tips? I've been offering squash, green beans and shredded carrots.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a member! :D

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He's a cutie :D . I wouldn't worry about him eating veggies little ones don't really eat them. Just keep offering everyday. As for the uvb it looks like it's a coil/compact those cause eye, appetite and lethargy problems. The most recommended on here is the reptisun 10.0 Tube.

mbrod12

Original Poster
I'll have to look into maybe taking back the double lamp fixture and getting the long uvb bulb instead. Does he really need the "basking light" if his tank gets hot enough with the heat bulb?

Also, it looks like there are multiple wattage's for the long UVB bulbs. About what should I look at for a 40 gal? Right now I'm looking at this 24 inch bulb (the tank is 36 inches long).

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/bulbs-lamps/zoo-med-trade-reptisun-trade-10.0-uvb-high-output-fluorescent-bulb-zid36-14928/cat-36-catid-500036?var_id=36-14928&_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

Do you feel this would be alright?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yep thats what I use and I have a under the cabinet light fixture from Walmart and use command hooks to mount it inside. As for the basking light I use a 75watt halogen flood bulb. So all they need is one bright white basking bulb and the right uvb :D

mbrod12

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I really want to give my beardie the best home possible, so after a quick trip to Petsmart/Walmart I returned the unnecessary double lamp fixture and grabbed a Reptisun 10.0! I even had enough money left over for some more decorations! This site is very helpful so far, and thanks again!

mbrod12

Original Poster
Thanks! :D I'm rather impressed with how much the tiling and the background really brought it all together. My next investment will definitely be a temp gun! I'm noticing that the thermometers I have in there really aren't doing the job. :banghead: Any good temp gun reccomendations?

mbrod12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Here's a picture after his first bath last night. I tried to wrap him up in a towel afterward, but he kept scrambling to my hand. I ended up having to keep my hand in there with him. It was too cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom