Newb with a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Hi everybody,

I have not yet purchased my first beardy, but am in the planning process to get one. Ive been doing a fair amount of research, and stumbled upon this forum. It also raised a few more questions and made me reconsider a few parts. I wanted to see if I could give a run down of the environment I am building then prompt for some input on getting my first BD.

Aquarium
I have a 55gal Aquarium that is 18L x 26w x17H. Is this ok for an adult BD? It seems to be a little taller and shorter side to side than the typical setup.

I had 4 inches or sand to lower the height a little, but after reading the horror stories I tried to sift through it. I realized how many small pebbles were in the play sand and it would need to be filtered. I currently have maybe 1/4 inch as its not very fast to filter. Is this too little? Or would sand not be ok for a young BD?

I have not yet picked a platform and am concerned grabbing a log from a recently cut tree having bark which might break off and get lodged in the BDs intestines. Is this concern valid? Or should I just get over it and pay a few dollars to a pet store?

Lighting
I have 2 workshop lamps and am confused on which way to go for bulbs. I read on another community that self-ballasted (sp?) mercury vapor lamps were the way to go to ensure uva/uvb as well as a main heat source. I was going to go for one of these and a regular compact light bulb for the cool side. Now I am reading on here that Reptisun 10 is the way to go hands down. If this is the case, can the other sides bulb still be a 7w compact house light (equivalent of 60w)? That is another question I had, when guides keep suggesting wattage for the cool side, is it ok to go with the equivalent compact? I know the light is not the same, but do the beardies care?
-btw, timers and thermometers already set-

Feeders
I have my feeder cage up and running, but the crickets will be 2 feet away all day chirping, will this stress a BD? Also, how difficult is it to get and start a silk worm colony? I understand that is another good feeder (and I have mulberry trees). Is there an alternative I should look into instead?

Thanks,
Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom