New young Bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald553

Is it normal for my very young Bearded Dragon to be so afraid of me .Every time I put my hand in his habitat, he flairs and backs away. I know you're supposed to approach from his front and below, but that doesn't work. He is eating both Dubia and greens and seems ok but for not being able to make friends. Any suggestions? I'm I making a mistake or does it just take time?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Sounds like he isn't use to human interaction yet, a lot of babies are this way. It will take time and patience but he will come around.

My best advice would be to move slow. Right now he sees you as a threat and is only trying to defend himself in what he finds to be a scary situation. You want to move slow so that you don't overwhelm him even more than he already is. Some will suggest "forcing" an interaction but I personally find that only stresses the animal out even more.

You can start with simple things like talking to him inside of his enclosure, they are smart creatures and he will quickly learn your voice. Also make sure he sees your hands putting food in his enclosure. This will help him to begin relating you to positive things like food. I would also suggest placing your hand in his enclosure where he can see it and laying it flat on the floor of the Viv. Leave it there for a few minutes. If it startles him do not remove it until he relaxes so that you do not accidentally reinforce the behavior.

Once he is completely comfortable with your hand being in the enclosure (should only take about a week if you do it a few times daily) begin petting him. Don't pick him up just simply pet him gently while he's in his enclosure. Do this a couple of times a day for about a week or 2 until he is completely comfortable with it and than try to pick him up. This is a huge step for a scared baby so be easy and calm and try only holding him in his enclosure for a few minutes at a time before setting him back down. Once he's completely comfortable with that you should be able to begin taking him out of his Viv for a few minutes at a time until you know he is over his fear than he can start getting out and bonding with you much more.

That's a lot and it can be a drawn out process. But with patience and time each of these things can help him and you begin building a bond. In the end you will have a wonderful little companion :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep in mind if your little hatchling (I take it he's or she's a baby or hatchling) if it's not accustomed to being handled (by the breeder) and maybe never been picked up even , will see you as a looming scarey monster , and it'll see your hand a very strange five headed monster.

Instinct is to run away.

I find it best to restrict handling to the barest minimum initially if you have a skittish / scared lizard, only handling them to help move them to a tub while you are cleaning their tank / rearing tub, and it has been my custom to hand a new lizard it's first few bugs each day - it's a great way to help them learn you are not intent on hurting or eating then and they soon learn to associate you and your hands with something they like and find pleasureable - eating ! (so only maybe 5 minutes per day to start off, while spending lots of timer where lizard can see and hear you and observe you.

Soon you'll have a lizard who is more curious about you than scared of you. This also works with recued wild lizards.

Another thing - NEVER EVER chase a lizard around inside its tank, this will only freak it out and reinforce it's fear of you. If it backs off and obviously doesn't want to be picked up (ATM) take the hint , back off and give it the space it wants.
If you NEED to get lizard our and it's in a hard reach area , a long stick off a tree is a great tool, slmply gently and slowly slip one end under it's front legs and chest - a hatchling will instinctively hold on , then gently lift off then ground and slowly gently draw it towards you to a place where you can slip your hand under it's chest and tummy and then place your other cupped hand over it's body and you now have a lizard who feels secure.

Key to this is routine and lots of patience.

Fear not, eventually you'll have a lovely ubertame affectionate beardie who will enjoy having snuggles and being petted by you, it took over 6 months for Toothless to come round, of cause Puff , Rex and Peppa , and my bts George and Mildred were "people" lizards from the get go.
Peppa loves her snuggles and has from the day we adopted her from the breeder (who was very fond of her because she is very beautiful).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom