New worried beardie owner needs advice on setup...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittanyh

I have a baby beardie that is about 6 1/2 inches long. He is currently in a 20 gallon tank (will be upgrading to a larger tank in the next few months). I've had him a few weeks now and the first week he was eating about 15-20 crickets a day. And has eaten a couple of wax worms since I've had him. He refuses to eat any veggies. The last few days he's only eating a couple crickets per day. He's very active and pooping daily (not runny). His underbelly and neck gets pretty dark a few hours a day which I've learned is stress marks. I've bathed him twice and he seems to enjoy that and I mist him 2-3 times a day and he'll lick the water.
Our current set up is this:
20 gal tank with screen lid.
20 Watt Fluorescent UVB/UVA coil bulb and the Mini Halogen 50w basking bulb in a Heat & UVB basking fixture. **The cave a log sits under these two lights.
Mini Halogen Night Red 25w in the mini dome. **This sits in the middle close to the basking/uvb lights.
Ceramic Heat emitter (I only have that in case the temp gets too cold during the night) **This is currently on the far left but not turned on. I move it close to the basking area when needed.
A temp and humidity gauge.
The temps under his basking stays between 95-106 during the day. Night is around 80.
Far left side during the day stays about 80-85 and at night 70-80.
The humidity is staying between 20-25
All of the lights sit on top of the screen lid and are on a timer. On at 730am and off at 730pm.
I'm worried that my lighting setup is not good enough since his appetite has slowed down so much. Is the screen lid blocking too much of his UVB? I'm worried that I wont be able to put a tube light on the inside of the tank since it's only a 20gal. I've read so much information and I just want him to be healthy and happy.
Any advice on my set up and what could be causing him to not be eating as much as he was in the beginning. He has gotten a little fatter since the day I got him.
110080-3687820477.jpg
110080-3093073154.jpg
110080-6055927030.jpg
110080-5471666292.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You are correct about the lighting set up --- first get rid of both the red light and the coil UVB--- I will help you set up for the tube UVB your need ---- you can order this from here your going to need this when you upgrade to the bigger tank anyway --- and the coils are not any good they cause a lot of health issues so please order this ASAP-- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" --
Basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- this is also a MUST--
Right now hes going thru relocation stress so his eating will slow down and the stress marks will start to disappear as he acclimates to his tank BUT the lighting and temps need to be correct for this to happen -- the two most important things in that tank are the UVB and basking temps-- so to keep him eating please get these corrected or eventually he will quit eating all together --
Hang on to the CHE that is a good thing to have on hand -- temps in the tank at nite should be 65-75 and dark--- dragons have a 3 rd eye and light at nite does not let them sleep -- your stick ons are only getting ambient temps -- you need that digital probe to get accurate and actual basking temps-- keep feeding him -- he needs salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
you can order the insects /worms from here www.dubiaroaches.com
I am not sure if they are shipping now some may be on holiday but you can also get the BSFL from here as well www.symptonbsf.com -- his insects need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 once per feeding --- and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- if you have more questions please ask but please get your lighting and temps fixed in the tank -- let me know what your decide and I will help you get the tank set up -- the fixture I recommended is usually not sold in stores -- they usually only have the 18 or 20 inch in store - its going to be too small for a larger tank that is why I recommended the 24" fixture plus it comes w/ the bulb you need now think of it as an investment down the road
Karrie

brittanyh

Original Poster
I will oder the UVB that you linked in today. Can that fixture be on top of the screen lid? I’m worried putting it inside this tank will end up being too close to him and burn him. I’ll also get that red light out as well. The box said it was for night time heat but we only use it during the day and no lights at all at night.but I have read the red lights and other color lights hurt them but wasn’t sure. I’ll get that out.
I ordered some dubia roaches yesterday they should be in tomorrow. We have been dusting his crickets with the Repti Calcium once a day. Do the dubia roaches need to be dusted as well? I’ll continue trying to give him the salad too maybe once those roaches come in it will help him with that. Can you also link a good thermometer and humidity gauge please? I want to make sure I get everything he needs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please dust the roaches once per feeding 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week once per feeding- I use a probe digital humidity gauge I had ordered from dubiaroaches.com it it was kinda spendy $30 I really dont know of good ones -the probe is stuck on the back wall of the tank and the reader sits on top of the screen -- I use the Zoo Med digital probe thermometers they seem to work well you can get them from Pet Smart or thru pangea that I linked the UVB's - they are cheaper thru them than Pet Smart - you can look at their humidity gauges but I do recommend the digital ones -- its up to you
Karrie

brittanyh

Original Poster
Update--
I ordered the https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html And it has been set up several days now. He seems to be enjoying that much better. We also took out that red light completely. Now my issue is the temp. Day time is staying between 100-113. Is this too hot? Night time is 70-74. Temp is being taken by the digital probe. Basking light Is the halogen 50w in a mini dome. He does seem to be enjoying it as he is staying right beside the probe and will open his mouth sometimes.
He has been way more active and his appetite has increased. He’s been eating collard greens once a day in the mornings and around 30+ crickets dusted with calcium (with d3). My dubia roaches were shipped today and should be here by Wednesday. He also has been shedding his tail this week. We do mist him a couple times a day and stop when he quits licking the water. He does look like he’s getting bigger and his darkness under his belly and neck are not as dark as they were in the beginning.
We are just worried about the heat getting too high. When we first put the halogen light in the mini dome the temp was rising to almost 120 which I know is way too hot. So we rigged it to raise up and now the temp lowered but like I said it’s still getting up to 100-113. Also he is still in the 20gal tank as he’s only a couple months old which he seems to be ok with. We are upgrading to a bigger tank within the next few months.
Please help with my temps and let me know if I need to change the basking light to something else (if so...what light would be better?)
Thanks I’m advance. Everyone has been so helpful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like everything is going well and you can be very happy that this youngster is eating like a champ and seems very healthy. :) The temp. should be O.K as long as he's able to move around he can get closer or further from the hot area.

brittanyh

Original Poster
Well I just checked his temp again and it is now rising up to around 116.... ? could you recommend a different basking light to see if I can get his temp below 113-116. I'm just worried this light is going to end up getting his temp too high especially if I’m not home when it does

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so try lowering the basking decor or raising the basking bulb? The bulb is on a screen or on a clamp clamped to side of tank--- your room temps will also make a difference and if the tank is in the sunlight
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom