New with a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chels23

Hello all! I am getting a bearded dragon next week. I have never had one before. The only lizard I've had was a blue tongue skink, she was great, but I had to give her up. I was wondering if it is possible to train them to not use the bathroom while out of the cage? I have carpet, and I barely convinced my landlord to let me have a lizard, so I definately cant get poop on it. Is it ok to let him roam around on the kitchen floor? Do I need to have a heatlamp out so he doesnt get too cold?

I read somewhere that beardies can sometimes be trained to use those hampster water bottles? Has anyone had any luck with that?

Thank you for the help, glad to join!
Any other tips for a new beardie would be greatly appreciated

Chelsea

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Chelsea!

One way to potty train them, is to give them regular baths. No guarantees, but I give mine a bath every other morning and he almost always will poo in this bathwater. I just simply drain the water, rinse and dry dragon, and place him back in his cage.

There shouldn't be a problem with letting your beardie run around the kitchen floor. If the temps are comfortable in your house, he shouldn't hget too cold if you have him out for a short while. I don't know where you live, but where I am at the weather is pretty warm and I don't use my A/C. I let my guy run around my apartment for at least 30 minutes everyday. If you let him run around your house for a long period of time though, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of heat source.

Not too sure about the water bottle, but if you bathe your beardie a few times a week or mist him every day making sure he is properly hydrated, you should not need to put water in his cage.

Welcome, and good luck!

glowgirl

welcomefish.gif

:p Hi Chelsea and welcome to the room ... If you have any question's ... Ask away ... There's some great peep's on this site with lot's of experience ... Soooooooo ... Don't hesitate :wink:

Big Hug's ...... Glowgirl xxx

chels23

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and the help! I should be getting my lizard on Tuesday, and I cant wait! It's nice to know there is a place to go if I have questions....I am a little inexperienced with lizards, only had one before. It seems like you guys know a lot, looking forward to posting more!

Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom