New to Site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lturcot0

My name is Liz and I am the proud owner of a new bearded dragon named Rex! :D This site has been very helpful in helping me care for my little buddy! I am so excited to have found this site and I am on here all of the time! I look forward to watching Rex grow! I have never had a bearded dragon and I had no idea how much went into caring for these pets but I LOVE having Rex!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hello Liz & Welcome to BD.org!
And.....
:blob8: Congratulations on the New Beardie! :blob8:

Look forward in seeing pic's of Rex. :wink:

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

lturcot0

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcomes! Everyone is very nice on this site! I took some pictures of Rex but I do not know how to post them on here... :shock:

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
HI LIZ ! :D
Welcome to the site! Im kinda new here myself , but I can tell you , ANYTHING you need to know , you can find it in here. Everyone is very nice and VERY helpful. I wouldnt have made it through my first week with Kiku if it hadnt of been for the help of this site and these people. I joined before I even got her and im SOO glad I did. I wouldnt have know anything but what the pet stores tell ya, and you CANT listen to them. I know first hand that they "dont have a clue' about the animals there. Some might , but most dont. I knew more about them than the girl at Petco. Simply because I done my research and read about everything on here!

So RELAX and enjoy you new lil baby , and if you need any help, this is the place!

Good Luck!

lturcot0

Original Poster
4025.jpg

4023.jpg

This is Rex! I got him from a pet store in March and I have NO idea how old he is but he is growing fast! I am not really sure if he is a "he".... Thank you fresnowitte for help with posting pictures! I was SO surprised with all of the wrong information and equipment the pet stores offered me! I took Rex to the vet (for which I got a lot of odd looks) and he had a parasite but he has been taking his medication for two weeks now so I hope he is better! He loves to bask and hang on my shoulder when I take him out. I also have two boy cats who love him. Do crickets have to be fed as a staple? I ordered phoenix worms online because the crickets are SO gross and they try to bite him until I remove them... he loves eating them though. He gets "salad" daily. Anyways I did not know if crickets had to be a daily thing or if I could use worms.. or something else?

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
You sure can use the Phoenix Worms as a daily staple along with salads. I do. My lil baby Kiku, is thriving beautifully on them, and growing fast. She LOVES them. About once or twice a week , I like to offer fruit to her, she likes the treat. She likes banannas and strawberries and mango.Not too much tho.

He is a good looking dragon! Love the pics!

Good Luck!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Your welcome! :wink:

Aww! Rex is a handsome little guy! :love5: Definitely a cutie! :D

No you do not have to use crickets as a staple feeder. I personally don't feed mine crickets....I think they are nasty little carnivores that eat their own poop :puke: as well as themselves and your beardie....they stink badly....they never shut up at night(crickets when I'm camping is fine but not every night when your trying to sleeeep!)...Plus it never fails one has to get loose in the house like under the frig and make noise for weeks on end. :evil: Okay I feel better now. :lol:

Phoenix Worms can be used as well. I prefer to give my clan a variety of different feeders. I raise my own roaches which is what I replaced the crickets with...I know your thinking ooowww gross...but really they aren't that bad. And they are very quick reproducing so it's economical with 9+ beardies to feed. I also grow my own superworms. I place regular orders with http://www.mulberryfarms.com/orders.htm for Silkworms, Butterworms, Hornedworms, and Phoenix Worms.

lturcot0

Original Poster
I keep seeing on this site that beardies eat close to 100 crixs a day. Is this really the norm? I am just concerned because if I get Rex 24 crixs it takes him at LEAST 2 days to eat them all ( however he eats a lot of his salad). I was also giving him arounf 5-7 meal worms until i read on this site that there are better choices. I know you are suppose to feed them 3X a day but with work I can usually only make it twice a day :( . Also I was told to get a red night bulb to help keep him warm at night but I have read some post suggesting this is annoying to the dragons. I have turned his off but I was just curious if this was bad to have or not.

I totally agree about the crix. When Rex was a baby I had him in a reptile screen cage ( he loved to climb but it didn't keep the heat in) and the crixs would ALWAYS escape. I have Rex in a 40 gal breeder tank and he is going crazy with his own reflection. Most days he just sits and stares at himself in the reflection. He puffs up really big and runs at the glass. It is kind of silly and I am hoping he grows out of it!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
100 crickets is normal for a baby to juvie beardie. However sense Rex is new to your family an is still most likely going thru what we call relocation stress.....Rex isn't showing you his true appetite yet. :wink: I would almost bet that in another week or 2 you'll see a big difference in the food intake. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom