New to Bearded Dragons...got some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first dragon yesterday. Been eyeing into them for years but didn't buy one. Now I have a little one but donno the age/gender. From nose to bum about 4 inches. Tail is idk...won't let me touch yet. I've been feeding dusted/gut loaded crickets last night and this morning with some salad off the list of good for bearded dragons.

The little one is very unsure of my hand/presence and I'm assuming this is due to movement/stress. It has ate some from my hands but not a lot. The home is too small for an adult but as this is a little one the 20 gallon will do. I intend to upgrade to 40 when I get the chance.

I do have the UVA/UVB bulb and basking light going. The basking top spot is at 40-41C or 104-105F where as the bottom area is around 25-27C or 77-80F. Using paper towel for substrate, a fake, plastic log that has branches for climbing, fake cactus and a nice hide that looks like a rock. I wrapped the outside of the vivarium with wrapping paper around 3/4 sides to give a more private feel and it sits up off the floor about 4.5 feet. No kids.

Now that I've given an idea of setup I'm going to ask a few questions. First being, is it okay for the temperature to go as low as 19C or 66.2F at night or should I get a little night light/heater for it? Next I'm wondering if you have any gender neutral names. Coloring is a dark chocolate brown on tan, camouflage like look. The belly has this thin brown lines that go in oval shapes repeatedly down the body. When measuring for size do you just measure from nose to bum or nose to end of tail? Is feeding treats/food from hand the best way to get my dragon to stop being so skittish with me or?

BTW it is eating fine enough I suppose for the first day. ate about 8 crickets last night and another 8 this morning with a few "treat" bugs in the middle to get it to associate my presence with food. Hasn't really touched the salad but I don't expect it to at its age.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Yes, it's okay to have temps be at 66 degrees Fahrenheit. From what I've heard, it's okay as long as it isn't under 65 degrees Fahrenheit. When measuring, I measure from nose to tail. Next, hand feeding is, from what I know, one of the best ways to tame them, although maybe someone has a better strategy. As for names, maybe Cappuccino, Ash, Copper, Sandy, Leaf or Autumn? I think they could probably be for both. Hope this helps :)

My beardies name is Buzz But is a girl hahaha. Just a quick tip for you I use a Ceramic Heat Emitter it doesn’t put off light but it’s always on so that the tank at night time stays between 75-80 degrees. Beardies are awesome little creatures. How did you get yours to hand feed because as soon as I touch my beardies good she won’t eat it. I’ve tried to hand feed her she just licks it and looks at me like why out touching my food bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom