New terrarium fro Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.

isdrake

Hatchling Member
We are finally finished with Zeldas new home. Well for the most part, there is still some work to do. It's our first terrarium that we have built ourselves It's not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with the result. :) It's made in a way so it can be taken apart, even the fake background (it doesn't fit through for a doorway).

It measures: L150 x D100 x H90 cm / L4.9 x D3.3 x H2.6 feet

Lightning consists of two "daylight tubes" of about 6500 kelvin and a Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W. We need to add another UVB-lamp in the top left corner. Do you guys think that will be enough? We also need to get our hand on one of those Mega ray bulbs. Unfortunately they aren't available in Sweden so we will have to import them from England which will probably cost a lot.

zelda15_orig_SE.jpg

bygge17_orig_SE.jpg

bygge19_orig_SE.jpg

zelda14_orig_SE.jpg

zelda16_orig_SE.jpg

isdrake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
andrewlloyd":2rsnwjob said:
Again.. Im in love!
Looks awesome!

One quick question though, are you using dirt as a substrate?

It's a mix of soil and sand. Works wonder.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like your putting an awful lot of UVB in there. Two MVB?? One is usually enough, with such a large cage i would be tempted to put just a small (18") arcadia 12% on the left so she has UVB at the cool end, but wouldnt go for another MVB as they put out soo much.

Looks very nice but just remember to completely change the substrate once a week to avoid parasites, and if she likes to lick things, i would reconsider, you dont want to have an impaction issue.

Also looking back how close if that solar bulb from her? Im sure (someone chime in) but the minimum distant for a 125w bulb is 18", it may just be the pic but looks very close!

isdrake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Buggsy":22qga8fk said:
Sounds like your putting an awful lot of UVB in there. Two MVB?? One is usually enough, with such a large cage i would be tempted to put just a small (18") arcadia 12% on the left so she has UVB at the cool end, but wouldnt go for another MVB as they put out soo much.

Looks very nice but just remember to completely change the substrate once a week to avoid parasites, and if she likes to lick things, i would reconsider, you dont want to have an impaction issue.

Also looking back how close if that solar bulb from her? Im sure (someone chime in) but the minimum distant for a 125w bulb is 18", it may just be the pic but looks very close!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what all the different lamps are called in English. I didn't mean to put in two Solar Glos. But I'm thinking about adding one of these small Fluorescent bulbs (Repti Glo) from Exo-terra. http://exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_fluorescent_bulbs.php
I afraid that she won't get enough UVB if it's just above the hot spot. I know that she will spend a lot of time on the cliffs to the left because she loves to climb. So I though it would be good to have some UVB there to.

You where right about the distance and I'm glad you pointed that out. Then we decorated the the enclosure we moved up her sunspot but we didn't think about raising the lamp. It it fixed now. According to Exo-terra it should be at least 30 cm away from the animal. Now it's 40 cm away. :p

About the substrate: I think changing it once a week sounds extreme. I think the risk of parasites if small if food and feces is removed every day.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
yes but the fluids expelled with the feces will not be picked up, and it is this that poses the risk. I have a 'sand pit' and i spot clean every day, and change once a week.

The reptiGLOs are not good at the UVB the emmitt is too low, sometimes dangerously so, you want the arcadia 12% uvb.

isdrake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Buggsy":1rc9rf8w said:
yes but the fluids expelled with the feces will not be picked up, and it is this that poses the risk. I have a 'sand pit' and i spot clean every day, and change once a week.

The reptiGLOs are not good at the UVB the emmitt is too low, sometimes dangerously so, you want the arcadia 12% uvb.

Okay, thanks for the info. I have been under the impression that Arcadia didn't make any good lamps. I will order one of those UVB meters from England and start to measure myself. :) That's the only way to be absolute safe I guess.

I still don't agree with the risk of parasites though. Well, I know there are a risk but I have hardly ever seen others getting problem with parasites due to not changing the substrate often. I think that is a problem that beardie owners have blown up, probably because this is a specie that can be housed on tiles, unlike many other lizards.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I have never used sand, except on my first two girls who only slept on it at night. The tank was too small to let them stay inside it all day. They never pooped in there.

I do remember reading fresnowitte mentioning that when she first had beardies she housed them in sand. She kept it as clean as she could. When she realized what problems sand caused she changed all the substrate on her beardies to solid substrates. She recently mentioned on a recent thread that since she changed to solid substrates she's not had any parasite issues on any of her beardies. She has 10 now, I believe. This includes Zak-n-Wheezie. That alone is enough reason for me to not use sand.

isdrake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There are still many other species that need substrate and don't have a lot of problem with parasites. My boyfriend have been keeping reptiles for almost all his life (he is 26) and have never had these kind of problems. There is also a difference between plain sand and a sand/soil mix.

I'm aware of the risk and that is a risk I'm willing to take. I can't even imagine how much work and money I would have to put into changing the substrates in our enclosures every week. Our biggest one (still WIP) will be 4.5 square meters / 48 square feet and will have about 20 cm / 8 inches of substrate. That's a LOT of dirt. XD

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
isdrake":2bhesckr said:
There are still many other species that need substrate and don't have a lot of problem with parasites. My boyfriend have been keeping reptiles for almost all his life (he is 26) and have never had these kind of problems. There is also a difference between plain sand and a sand/soil mix.

I'm aware of the risk and that is a risk I'm willing to take. I can't even imagine how much work and money I would have to put into changing the substrates in our enclosures every week. Our biggest one (still WIP) will be 4.5 square meters / 48 square feet and will have about 20 cm / 8 inches of substrate. That's a LOT of dirt. XD

In general, I tend to agree that some people may make too big of a deal about sand, but I think the concerns are well intentioned, and there is a risk. Just like with everything else, you need to figure out if you are willing to except the risk. This may mean a sick pet, trips to the vet, or worse. There really is no purpose for the sand, other than for looks, so it's not really helping the BD... just the looks of the enclosure. So, again, it's up to you. But everyone will probably continue to pass along their concerns. 8)

In regards to "other" reptiles... there are tons of variables to consider. Some reptiles have a better immune system, and may be able to tolerate certain strains of bacteria. Temp / humidity etc also will play a roll in how quickly the bacteria grow, etc. It's kind of like saying, I've never gotten into a car accident while talking on the phone, but it doesn't mean it won't happen ever. (Hopefully it never does!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom