New tanks...need help with lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcforeal

hey everyone. for years i've been using the standard 40 gallon tanks you can purchase at reptile stores (with the screen top, two panels that swing outward in front). However my girlfriend and I just bought two new tanks along with a rack for them from someone else. I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly set up lighting on them. They're advertised as "snake and reptile cages" and the two we purchased are almost exactly the same as the attached picture. when they sit on the rack the top of the tank is angled slightly downwards and there are two 3x6" oval vents on the top of each tank, but nothing else.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

xlarge_reptile_cage.jpg

roddy

Sorry to say this, but this looks like an awfull design, can you return them? For a start it seems any substrate you put in will spill out whenever you open them. It also looks plastic so the heat lamps you need for a beardie will certainly have an effect on it, even if you dont melt it you will surely smolder it and release gasses that could seriously harm a beardie.

The only advice I would give would be to not use these.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep.... they are hopeless .... you'd be better off returning them and buying a flatpacked timber tank with sliding front glass doors.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What size are the cages and can you tell what material they are made of? How much space do you have in the rack, do you have a picture? Does the floor slope when it's in the rack? You'll need to make some modifications for them to work but if they are big it might be worth it.

Heat will be trickiest and depend a lot on the size of the enclosure. If it's tall enough (24"+) you could use a socket inside (I would avoid this if possible) otherwise you will need to remove material to make an opening for the light. You don't want to heat the plastic (especially if it is PVC) but as long as the opening is as large or larger than your light dome and you use an internally reflected bulb it should not get much more than warm.

A sunblaster fixture could be mounted to the ceiling for UV light, just need to drill a couple holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom