New rescues with retained shed, possible bites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Hi,

A friend of mine just rescued two dragons from craigslist. When he got them, they both appear to have a lot of retained shed on their tails and some on the body. One of the tails looks like the tip might fall off. The female has what appears to be bite marks or scars or scabs - I'm not sure. I need some advice about how to treat this combination of issues. Other than the skin problems and some possible calcium deficiency, they both appear healthy - good weight, energetic, curious. The both have "bloodhound eyes" which I understand can be genetic and not necessarily indicative of disease. They are both leatherbacks and appear to about a year old. I believe they were housed together until recently.

Here are several pics in an album at imgur.

I told him to start bathing daily, put coconut oil on the shed and the wounds, and to use a baby toothbrush to work at the shed. I could use more advice, particularly about the bite marks and the tail tips. I'm not really familiar with skin disorders, but I'd like some reassurance that the bite marks aren't actually yellow fungus or something like that.

Thank you!
Mary

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Mary,

Nearly all of those pictures appear to be battle scars from bite marks. They all look like they have healed up for the most part too. The warm baths daily should help loosen anything that is going to come off. A soak in Betadine wouldn't hurt either, especially if there is still any exposed skin. But, the tails might just always look like that.

I think it goes without saying, that these two dragons have shown they are violent towards eachother (as is expected) and should not be housed together. They both need their own enclosures if they don't already. Reading through your thread it appears they are separated, so that is good.

The droopy eyes can be a sign of liver problems, but that will be hard to know without blood tests if you are willing to.

I would be cautious on how much protein you feed them, especially with a possible liver issue in both of them. Keep protein meals very small. What are you using for protein?

-Brandon

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Brandon.

Unfortunately, they are in Florida, so no dubias. The main insect is crickets. I'm hoping that since both came from the same breeder that the droopy eyes are genetic. I'll send your information onto my friend.

I hope they don't have liver issues. It would be strange for both of them to have it, don't you think? I mean, if the original owner was feeding too much fat... Well, we'll see. I'll encourage him to have bloodwork done.

Thanks for responding to my plea for help! :)

Mary

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Mary,

Well it would be strange, but on the other hand it wouldn't. Especially since assumingly, they were housed the same, and fed the same. Diet would be the key player here on any liver issues.

If he is willing to get bloodwork done, I think it might be a good idea. Although, if the dragons seem healthy, it might just cause some un-needed stress.

-Brandon

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Brandon. I'll try contacting the original owner and getting some husbandry history. I just went through losing a dragon to fatty liver disease and if these guys have liver issues... well, at least I'm familiar with the signs. Sigh.

Mary

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mary,

Ouch that is definitely from bites being housed improperly. That is too bad!
It looks like they are fairly well healed up for now.
The droopy eyes can be dehydration or liver & or inbreeding issues. Or it could just be genetics also, as there are some with that trait & are healthy.
The only way to check on that is a blood test.
Are they eating well right now?

Let us know how they are both doing.

Tracie

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Tracie. I talked to the former owner this morning and he said the eyes have always looked like that, so I'm leaning toward genetics. He said the tail injury occurred about a week ago in the bath.. I don't know.

Thanks for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom