New Rescue Refuses All Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My latest rescue has me worried sick. He's been here a week and hasn't eaten a single thing. He took one minuscule piece of collards from me the second day he was here and then he refused to eat any more. He hasn't touched a single cricket either. I know his old home used to solely feed him roaches but the "colony" they gave me consisted of two live babies, a lot of dead adults, and a ton of rotted food. Suffice it to say he won't be getting roaches any time soon until I can start up my own colony properly. He had some baby food on Tuesday and that's all he's eaten. I tried giving him some canned insects this morning which he didn't go for. I've been mixing in some freeze dried insects with his salad in the hopes that he'd get some protein but he hasn't touched his salad either. I'm really getting worried about him. I'm beginning to consider force feeding him but I don't want to cause any additional stress. When I talked to his previous owners I knew it'd be a bit of a challenge to break him of his old eating habits but I hadn't expected him to completely refuse anything and everything I offered. Anyone have thoughts on what I should do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....what condition is the beardie in ? Is that him in your banner on the left ? If he's a large dragon with good weight, then just be patient....it is time for them naturally to slow down, and besides that he is experiencing relocation stress. So if that's him in the banner [ the 3 year old ], he looks fit + fat. :) If that's not him, can you post a pic to show his condition ?

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
AHBD":7nasql1p said:
Hi there....what condition is the beardie in ? Is that him in your banner on the left ? If he's a large dragon with good weight, then just be patient....it is time for them naturally to slow down, and besides that he is experiencing relocation stress. So if that's him in the banner [ the 3 year old ], he looks fit + fat. :) If that's not him, can you post a pic to show his condition ?
That's a really old photo of him. Here's a photo of him in the bath a few days ago but it doesn't do a very good job of showing how heavy he actually is
1488315_660082824041763_1099560014_n.jpg
I've never really seen a dragon in his condition before. His stomach is massive and drags when he walks and he has what can only be described as rolls of fat behind his arms but when you touch his back all you feel is ribs. I did consider that he might be brumating but besides not eating he really isn't acting like he's brumating. My other dragon is clearly brumating- he sleeps practically all day and went from having a healthy appetite to eating a couple of crickets a day (of course he chose to do this right after I ordered 1,500 crickets :banghead: ). Sanford on the other hand is awake all day and usually well after his lights go off. It looks like all of his stress marks have cleared up so I'm questioning whether or not this is beyond relocation stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom