New Rescue & Not Lookin Good...HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, this make me angry and is just so sad. He's so malnourished, underweight and he's been starved. Fat pad sites on his head are sunken. You can clearly see his spine and hip protrusions! He's so tiny.

He can have a loss of appetite experiencing some relocation stress for anywhere from a few day to a week or more.
You have already received good advice from Esther.

That's good he's taking the reptaboost, mixing it with some baby food squash would be good. I'd get a probiotic and give him a bit everyday to help restore his good gut flora and it also enhances their ability to absorb properly. I'd feed him small amounts at least twice a day but try for 3 times a day. Make sure his temperatures are at optimum for his digestion and body functions.

You don't need a fancy expensive reptile basking bulb, that just makes money for the pet industry. A plain regular bright white light bulb is fine for a basking bulb, it produces bright light to constrict the pupils to protect his eyes from the UVB he needs and it produces heat, some use halogen bulbs.

Since he is so starved I'd not give him any protein til he has urate, even then I'd give very little and re-introduce protein very slowly into his diet. Here is why.
Urate is his kidney waste, like our urine. When they are starved sometime the kidney will slow down or stop working. The by product of protein metabolism is uric acid. When the kidneys are not working well...or at all, uric acid can become so elevated it can cause kidneys and organs to fail.
When he passes some urate his kidneys are functioning but I'd only, very slowly, add protein in small amounts.

I'd hydrate him daily with a 10 to 15 minute very shallow, up to his elbows, warm water and Pedialyte soaks and offer water and Pedialyte orally. Dilute the Pedialyte one part water to one part Pedialyte and use that to mix his food with and for him to drink. You can also splash some into his bath water. You can use the generic infant electrolyte solution.

He show signs of Metabolic Bone Disease. I'd get some liquid calcium and start him on that as soon as possible. It can be the reason or contributing to his shakiness.

Keep him warm and let him rest. Keeping his temp up at night to about 80*F can help boost his immune system.

Mealies, or meal worms are not good for bearded dragons any time but especially when malnourished or ill. You can look up the calcium/phosphorus ratio on line. Keep in mind the perfect ratio is about 2 calcium to 1 phophorus. Mealworms have an extremely poor calcium to phosphorus ratio and will cause the body to draw calcium from his bones to correct the calcium-phos balance and will contribute to Metabolic Bone Disease

I'd get a probiotic ASAP and give him every day. It will help restore his good gut flora

I hope this helps
Amanda

....and Dusti is gorgeous!

Donovan - strong fighter
Callan - strong in battle
Carlin- little champion

Kera

Original Poster
Amanda, Thank you so very much for your advise!!! I sincerely appreciate it!!! I do however have a few ?'s for you...

1. Where would I even find a probiotic for him?
2. I hear that some people are saying that halogen lights are NOT safe...what's your opinion?
3. For the Pedialite I am assuming that the CLEAR one (non-flavored) would be best? and how much at a time would be best tps or so?
4. Liquid calcium vs powdered? I have the powdered calcium right now, would I be able to mix it with some water and syringe feed it? or NO?
5. For the night time temps, I have a 75w red light for my Dusti that she is not using right now (since its warm out) would that work in a tank about 22"Hx30"Wx13"D? I am not used to a tank this odd...It's a bow front fish tank that he came in...

And some updates about him:
His weight is 247g :( I have a digital scale for him and Dusti...However, I am happy to say that he had a bowel movement last night while I was trying to give him the Repti-boost ( 1/2 white, 1/2 VERY dark brown and VERY sandy...he even passed what looked like a tiny stick about 5mm)...The woman that had him before me, had him on REAL beach sand!! Like wtf ugh some people should be smacked!!! I hope my poor lil angel pulls through!!! Please keep him in your thoughts!!!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Ooh, he's so skinny! Glad to hear he's liking the ReptiBoost. You'll have him fat and happy in no time.

Maybe you should name him Bear Grylls since he obviously knows how to survive in adverse conditions!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You can find both the probiotic and the liquid calcium at these sites:
http://www.reptiza.net/beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=common/home
or here: http://www.bug-de-lite.com/index.html

Yes, calcium powder can be mixed with water and given.

While waiting, soy yogurt can be used as a probiotic.

Yes to question #3.

Any light at night will disturb their sleep. To increase night temps to the 80 degrees that is recommended, we recommend using a ceramic heat emitter, which gives heat, but no light. If you purchase one, please look over the fixture you intend to put the CHE into. Not all fixtures are rated for CHE's.

Please continue to let us know how things are going. Sending positive thoughts your way!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Kera said:
Amanda, Thank you so very much for your advise!!! I sincerely appreciate it!!! I do however have a few ?'s for you...

1. Where would I even find a probiotic for him? Probiotics you can get are BenBac or Acidophiluz+ for reptiles, there are others also, and follow direction on package. You should be able to find these at some pet shops or order on-line. You can get regular acidophilus for humans {at Walmart in the Pharm. section} crush the tab and use a pinch of the powder in the food mixed up for the day. Soy yogurt also is probiotic {any super market} get the soy, as bearded dragons have difficult time with dairy. You can give 1 or 2 mls daily. couple mls soy yogurt You give a probiotic once daily. If your dragon is on antibiotics you will want to give the probiotic at least 4 hours after the antibiotic dose.
2. I hear that some people are saying that halogen lights are NOT safe...what's your opinion? I believe any bright white lightbulb that produced heat is acceptable. Some are switching to halogens now since the bright white house lightbulbs are being replaced with the energy efficient coils and they will not work. You need a bright white bulb for basking to constrict the pupils which helps protect the eyes from the UVB your bearded dragon needs. Halogen are fine. You only really need 2 bulbs for your enclosure, the bright white bulb for heat and light and the UVB. This forum recommends 2 UVB bulbs. Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia D3 12%, both are linear fluorescent.
3. For the Pedialite I am assuming that the CLEAR one (non-flavored) would be best? Yes, you are correct, sorry I should have indicated that.and how much at a time would be best tps or so? Make sure you dilute it 1:1 The amount you use will be small, to thin the food mix may only be a tsp or so, you can offer it as a drink also. The dragon won't drink that much in addition to what you feed him, which will be thinned with the Pedialyte, so 5 to 10 mls daily total. You can also add it to a daily bath, I just splash some in, I don't measure it, perhaps 1/2 cup into a quart of warm bath water.
4. Liquid calcium vs powdered? I have the powdered calcium right now, would I be able to mix it with some water and syringe feed it? or NO? Mixing the powder with liquid won't make a solution you can measure for dosing so I would not mix and give it by syringe, how ever it would be good to add a generous pinch to the food you mix up to feed.
5. For the night time temps, I have a 75w red light for my Dusti that she is not using right now (since its warm out) would that work in a tank about 22"Hx30"Wx13"D? I am not used to a tank this odd...It's a bow front fish tank that he came in...Any colored bulbs are not needed or wanted for bearded dragons. They need total dark to sleep properly. They have a parietal eye, the third eye on top of their head, it sees light and dark, it helps distinguish day and night and also sees the shadows of their predators flying overhead...birds. It is connected to the pineal gland which is thought to produce melatonin to help reach the sleep state. Here is a link to the research. http://www.anapsid.org/parietal3.html. Bottom line is they need dark, toss all the colored lights.For heat at night it is suggested to get a CHE...Ceramic Heat Emitter. It screws in like a bulb but only produces heat, no light.

And some updates about him:
His weight is 247g :( I have a digital scale for him and Dusti...However, I am happy to say that he had a bowel movement last night while I was trying to give him the Repti-boost Good!( 1/2 white, 1/2 VERY dark brown and VERY sandy...he even passed what looked like a tiny stick about 5mm)...That poor dragon. You may want to give him a bit of baby food applesauce with a few drops of mineral oil well mixed into it, you can give about 2mls, that will be enough. This can act as a laxative and help pass that sand and debris. Keep him well hydrated.The woman that had him before me, had him on REAL beach sand!! Like wtf ugh some people should be smacked!!! I can't agree more, these beautiful creatures rely on us to keep them safe and healthy. People need to research, ask advice from experienced and expert keepers and provide the requirements they need to keep them well. I'm so happy you found your way here. I hope my poor lil angel pulls through!!!I hope he does too! Please keep him in your thoughts!!! I hope the info helps!(((HUGS AND GOOD THOUGHTS)))
Amanda

Kera

Original Poster
Anyone know how long you can leave a mixed solution of Repti-boost out on the counter? Does it require refrigeration in between feedings if its been mixed with water?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Kera":37h20r7x said:
Anyone know how long you can leave a mixed solution of Repti-boost out on the counter? Does it require refrigeration in between feedings if its been mixed with water?

Yes it needs to be refrigerated, and if it was out more than 2 hours I would chuck it.. In the fridge it will stay good for 24 hours.

Kera

Original Poster
Hello all... :( I come with sad news...Our new little addtion who we finally named Talli, did not make it...He died this morning at about 3:00 am... :( We will be giving him the proper burial he deserves later today... :( My 9yr old is so crushed right now...I know I tried everything I could for him but I just wish I could have done more...He didn't desereve this by any means... :( I only had him for a week, today, but I wish he could have had more time here...I just know he would have been happy here...God now I cant stop crying...ugh...my lil prince is now has earned his wings and is a "real" dragon now...

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so very sorry for your loss. :( You did your very best to help him. You gave him a comfortable and loving home at the end. I know he was so thankful.

Kera

Original Poster
Thanx Esther...I did and still do love him very much...And to think we finally found a name for him...The boys named him Talli...I think it fits him good too...xoxo Talli Mumma <3's u

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
I know that Talli appreciated the love and affection he got in his last bit of life. You will always have the memories that you two made together to look fondly upon. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

jings55

Hatchling Member
Oh! I'm really so, so sorry for your loss. :( The same thing happened to us a few months ago when we bought a grown beardie off craigslist. I know how deeply it hurts and I have my grands living with me, and "she" was my 9 yr old's early birthday present. She was with us exactly 1 week, too. My granddaughter was devastated! We had to go later that day and buy her another. So I know your child is really upset, too. It seems so unfair after all you tried to do to help him. I'm so glad you found a name for him before he died. At least he died knowing he was loved and wanted! May he RIP and tell your child you'll all see him again, over the Rainbow Bridge, in Heaven.

Kera

Original Poster
First off I would like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words and all the helpful advise you shared with me when I needed it most...Your words are greatly appreciated!!! Ty Ty Ty!!

Sincerely, Kera!! xoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom