New poster, new beardie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Just bought a new beardie yesterday after the untimely death of Kevin :( (recieved some bad advice from a vet that didn't really know much about beardies). Say hello to Red:

img0691v.jpg

img0689c.jpg

img0685sw.jpg

I have a few questions, since kevin was quite a bit bigger when we first got him. Firstly, is he too small to bath? I guestimate he's about 7-8 weeks old, around 6 inches long including tail. I literally can't feel him stood on my fingertip :lol:

Also, how does my set up look? It's a 30 gallon 3 ft tank, basking area is 43-44C (around 110F) and cool end is 30C (86F).

When we got Kevin he took a few days to settle in which isn't the case this time, yesterday when I first got him home he ate about 6-7 crickets and a bowl of greens! Been today to buy him some buttternut squash, mint leaves and mixed salad leaves (spinach etc). Is this ok for a baby? I'll dust crickets every day with calcium, and give him a sprinkle of nutrobal 1-2 times a week (mainly for the D3).

The UVB is a repti-glo 10.0 15W, is this ok for this size viv? Also it's flat against the back wall, should I find a way to get it more central?

Lots of questions I know but I'm a bit weary after the death of my last beardy :(

Thanks for reading!!

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Spinach is a definate no-no! Never feed your babies spinach because it can stop your beardies from absorbing the calcium they need. Also the temps seem a little high to me, but that might be because I come from a warm climate. If your beardy doesn't seem to spend a lot of time on the cold side, it might be okay...

I am not the right person to tell you what the requirements are for such a cage as that, but I will tell you, that once you feel comfortable with handling him, you should definitely take him outside to bath the sun.

Other than that I don't see a really urgent problem with any of that.

Hope you guys get along well and have a good time!

Nickthegreek

Original Poster
lauraj1055":2prfbmph said:
What happened to Kevin? I was just reading your post about him, and came across this one :(

It was a number of things really, he was never "right" from the day we got him, bought him from a rubbish pet shop, he had toes/tail missing etc, bad appetite. I took him to the vets and she told me he had parasites (without a stool sample) and that he was going into brumation. So I took all the steps necessary for brumation, gave him antibiotics for the parasites, started turning down his light cycle they when I woke up one day he was dead :( But now he has a nice little grave in our garden :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, so sorry to hear about that. I hate hearing about beardies dying. It makes me sad. You new little addition is a cutie though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom