New! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
That’s so awesome!!! Good job! I know you’re in a really tough situation so that’s wonderful that you were able to make that happen today. You can breathe easy now because you’ve got the most important element taken care of. And it sounds like you’ve got a temp gun so you can make sure the temps are what they need to be, and you’ve got a bigger tank so you’ll have a suitable temperature gradient. All the vital stuff is in play so Marbles is ready to grow into a big happy lizard! ☺️ And that’s great that you were able to get your hands on some crickets. Just remember to make sure all buggies aren’t bigger than the space between his eyes (when I used to get crickets at Petco sometimes they’d give me the wrong size when I asked for smalls). With the Reptisun tube, there should be a distance chart on the packaging so you’ll know how far to mount the fixture from him. Now that you’ve got the most expensive stuff out of the way, you can add fun stuff along the way as the budget allows (a more permanent cave or other hide, more basking objects if needed). But you’re doing great! Did he eat any of the crickets? It may take a little while for his appetite to kickstart, but if temps are good and he’s got his Reptisun tube it’s only a matter of time. ☺️

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Sorry, just saw the UV question. The reason it needs to be a Reptisun T5 10.0 tube is because it provides both UVA and UVB, and beardies need both. These tubes emit a strength of UV proven to be beneficial and prevent MBD, whereas many of the cheap UV compacts and tubes pet stores sell only emit one, and in the majority of cases it’s not nearly enough (some emit virtually zero UV, despite their claims). That’s why I keep hammering that the light needs to be a Reptisun or Arcadia tube. The lighting guide on this site goes into more detail on why these particular lights are necessary. All my beardies have Reptisun T5 10.0 tubes, and my last few adults lived to be 16 and 17 years old (much longer than the average beardie lifespan). None of my lizards have ever had MBD, and using these lights played a crucial roll in keeping them healthy.

Tangy505

Original Poster
Alright, I'll get right on that. Probably going to be paying people back for a while... Marbles is worth it though. However, someone told me he's not going to get much bigger, which makes me really sad. I wanted a big baby

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
That’s not true! I’ve had plenty of runts that ended up huge. And what you do now (good UV lighting, the proper supplements, lots and lots of insects daily) will have a strong influence on how he turns out. He’s extremely young right now, so it’s impossible to say how big he’ll get. But if you give him everything he needs over the next year he’ll have a tremendous growth spurt. Dragons that don’t receive sufficient UV light, the right temperatures, calcium supplements, and a healthy diet for a prolonged period can experience stunted growth, among many other health issues, but you’re addressing these things so he’ll soon be on track. I’m a bit confused by the statement about the Reptisun 10.0 UV tube light...I thought you’d already purchased that yesterday?

Tangy505

Original Poster
No, my mil got me a day and night bulb set from the local pet store. But it only had uva. I think the temperatures are right for him, but new question, what do I do with the crickets? Do I feed them? Can they live in a Tupperware box? (That's what I have them in. I gave them marbles left over squash and some crickets drink that's got lots of calcium and stuff in it for marbles). Also yesterday he wouldn't eat at all and seemed highly upset with me... why

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Bearded dragons don’t need a night bulb. They want darkness just like all other non-nocturnal animals, and using a night bulb (especially one with an irritating red or purple tint) can disrupt his circadian rhythm and keep him awake. So don’t use a night bulb. The compact UVA bulb will emit virtually no UV, so it’s essentially worthless as a UV source. And yes, bearded dragons need both UVA and UVB, and very few compacts offer both. It can still work potentially as a heat bulb, but you need a proper UV light immediately. I feel like I’ve mentioned the Reptisun T5 10.0 and Arcadia D3 + 12% tubes a million times at this point, and have mentioned specifically why they are so vital and why compact UV bulbs won’t cut it. The UV light is the most important thing you’ll purchase for a bearded dragon, and cutting corners on this can have severe repercussions on this animal’s health. You need to return the night light you don’t need and the compact bulb that neither emits strong enough UVA, but also contains 0% UVB. If you choose to keep it as his heat source/basking bulb you need to make sure it doesn’t have any kind of tint that can distort the animal’s vision. It’s still early enough that this can be addressed before it starts to affect your beardie’s health, growth, and his ability to metabolize calcium. The only other effective UV option are specific types of MVB lamps, but because these are more expensive I’ve been emphasizing the Reptisun and Arcadia tubes. If you’re interested in an MVB, you can read the literature on this and other sites or post questions in the lighting forum and a member more experienced with MVBs can guide you toward a safe and effective option. But with your limited budget, a Reptisun T5 10.0 is your best bet. So as mentioned in many posts already, this is not an area you can cut corners on. This UV tube is life to these animals, and thinking you can substitute a cheaper compact for one of the lights studies prove are safe, emit the correct strength of UV, and emit both UVA and UVB means your animal will pay a severe price. NO MORE PLANT LIGHTS. NO QUESTIONABLE COMPACTS. Reptisun T5 10.0, Arcadia D3 + 12%, or an MVB that’s proven as effective as these first two options. If me saying this over and over and over is still having no effect, please read the lighting guide on this website again or look up reptile UV light tests/studies and you’ll find this same information. Pet stores sell many items that are unsafe for bearded dragons, from dangerous substrates to cheap UV lights manufactured in countries with zero requirement that the product is safe and effective. So back to the drawing board: get this animal a proper UV source ASAP, whether you have to borrow money or beg your mom.
He’s not eating because he doesn’t have a proper UV, which has a big influence on appetite. And if he’s still in the tiny tank he doesn’t have a proper heat gradient and won’t be able to properly thermometer-regulate. If his basking surface and cool side temps are correct (and they are, right? Right??), then with a good UV source, a tank that allows for proper basking and cool side temps, things should turn around. You may have to try different feeder insects. Some beardies are picky, so offering small dubia roaches and BSFL/Calciworms may stimulate his appetite if he doesn’t respond to crickets. You can keep crickets in a large well ventilated Rubbermaid bin or his old small tank once he’s in the new tank (or a Kritter Keeper). Feed them veggies safe for beardies. Crickets can turn cannibalistic if not given a small amount of protein, and you can give them this with Reptical Pellets (the ones made for bearded dragons), a commercial cricket diet, or Repashy Burger. Your baby should be eating voraciously, and this won’t happen if either his temps are incorrect, he doesn’t have adequate UV (and we’ve established that for quite some time he’s had either no UV or inadequate UV). So again, the UV light needs to be your number one priority. No substitutions or cutting corners anymore. Please let the next update be a confirmation that this has finally happened, otherwise it’s impossible to help you address the other issues because many are a result of the lack of UV. You can fix this. It’s going to be okay but you can’t keep putting this off.

Tangy505

Original Poster
I'm not ignoring you, it's that other people in my life are ignoring me. I tell them exactly what to get, and they get something else. And right now my dad is in the hospital so I have 0 transportation to do what I need to do. I can't buy, I can't return, and right now I'm actually kinda starving. I'm doing my very best for Marbles, but unless you want to come to my house and take me where I need to go, I can't do anything until dad is home. This situation is so stressful, I've been having severe nose bleeds. Don't think I'm trying to cut corners or ignoring you. I hear you. Loud and clear.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I get that things are really tough and I’m really sorry you’re in such a stressful situation. Is there anyone that would be willing to lend you $25? If you get the Reptisun at the lowest price I cited and used a fixture from Home Depot or Walmart the total cost would be around $25. Hopefully there’s someone that would be willing to float you the money. The other element here is figuring out how you’re going to cover the cost of all his daily insects. When the husbandry is corrected and all temps are on point and he has a good UV source his appetite should improve dramatically, and baby beardies need a ton of insects daily for all the growing they do over the course of the first year. We’re talking potentially dozens and dozens (sometimes 50+) per day, so the concern is that if $25 for a UV light hasn’t yet been possible, what’s the game plan for all the bugs he needs? Once the beardie is an adult and only 20-30% of his diet is insects, the expense does decrease dramatically, but for now he needs to be able to eat healthy bugs (crickets, BSFL, small dubias, etc.) to his heart’s content. It sounds like you really need an ally to help you with his current and future needs. I know how much you’re struggling and that you want to be able to give him what he needs. Hopefully there’s someone you can turn to that can empathize with the situation and can pitch in.

Tangy505

Original Poster
I ordered the light, and like 200 crickets for the price of 30. Crappy pet store with lazy employees gave me a great deal on bugs. Is it possible to be allergic to crickets? I've broken out in a rash to the point that I've had to leave work early this morning

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
That’s awesome you ordered the light! The most expensive part of owning a bearded dragon is the huge tank and the lighting, so things should be a lot less stressful now. And the great thing about that light is that you can get a year’s worth of strong UV from it before it needs to be replaced. So awesome job finding a way to make that happen. ☺️Regarding the crickets, I’ve heard of some people being allergic to specific kinds of feeder roaches, but not as much about crickets. However, if you’re allergic to shellfish, it seems you may also be more likely to experience a reaction to crickets: “A study compared field crickets with fresh water scampi, and found the same allergens present in each one. The cricket had an extra one; a protein which causes allergies that also occurs in crustaceans.” So it is very possible to have a reaction to crickets. If storing them in a more remote place where you’re less likely to be exposed doesn’t help, you may need to switch to another feeder next round. You can get 1,000 BSFL for $17-18 online, and I’ve never heard of anyone having an allergy issue with these. So that might be worth trying. In the meantime, some quick crickets tips to get Marbles’ appetite back on track: 1. Some beardies (especially babies) can get overwhelmed if a large number of bugs surrounds them, so feeding bugs one by one can help. 2. Don’t leave crickets in the cage overnight. They’ve been known to hide until dark and then crawl out and nibble on beardies while they’re sleeping. So always make sure his tank is bug free before lights out. 3. Feed the crickets the same veggies you’d feed your bearded dragon. 4. Remove dead crickets daily or their pen can get nasty pretty quickly.
Again, great job finding a way to get the light! And I’m so sorry for what you’re going through with your dad. Hopefully bonding with Marbles can ease some of the stress.

Tangy505

Original Poster
Maybe it was the cat hair from digging out the light fixture. What would be a reason for marbles to like to sleep in his water bowl? I've caught him in it several mornings

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Ah, yes...the majority of beardies won’t drink from a water bowl, and if the water bowl does get any use it’s usually as a toilet or a soaking tub. Baby bearded dragons will sleep in some pretty bizarre places and positions (there’s a whole thread in one of the forums where people posted photos of their beardies doing this and it’s pretty funny/worth checking out). The potential concern with a beardie sleeping in a water bowl is that if it’s large enough or deep enough there’s a chance he could drown in his sleep, but most of these bowls aren’t large enough to pose that risk. Still, because it is a possibility and because your room may be on the chilly side at night you may want to discourage him from sleeping in a water dish. I’d play it safe and remove the water dish at night for peace of mind. When babies mature their sleeping behavior usually gets a little more normal. If one of my beardies gets sleepy before lights out he’ll usually retire to his cave. It’s not quite as entertaining as watching the younger version of him fall asleep hanging upside down like a bat, but I’m glad his bedtime routine is a little more simplistic now. ☺️

Tangy505

Original Poster
Oh okay. Also, why does he try so hard to run away when I take him out to spend time with him? What can I do about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom