New petsmart beardie sick?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberH

Hey y'all! I got a new baby beardie from petsmart on June 19th and I think he is starting to get sick. I've had two previous beardies one from petsmart and one from petco and both passed away after all my efforts to save them. I really really want this third guy to survive and I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or if I'm just getting sick dragons. I have two leopard geckos and a crestie so I'm not a newbie to reptiles in the slightest but obviously I'm having trouble with the beardies. When I go to purchase them I always get the biggest ones and make sure they are alert and have a belly on them. I have a 50 gallon tank (it's a national geographic sanctuary from petsmart the biggest size). I have a 75 watt zoo med heat bulb on one side that makes his basking spot 105 degrees Fahrenheit and I have a branch under there along with a repti hammock so he can have varying degrees under his heat lamp. I have one of the compact UVB bulbs (which after reading more I will change out for a long 10.0 as soon as I can). He is on repti carpet and paper towel. I've been feeding calcium dusted crickets and I got some meal worms for a few days between cricket shipments and he seems to only want those so I've been giving them to him even though I know it's not the best source of food it is all he will eat. He doesn't touch his veggies (mustard and turnip greens). He is perky and responsive and I've given him baths almost every day and when he doesn't get a bath he gets sprayed in his tank. The problem I'm having is that he is slowly starting to not eat and his poops have gotten small and are on their way to stopping completely. I just wondered if I could get any advice/ opinions from some more experienced keepers. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Good you'll be changing out the uvb. Stop mealworms. They make babies impacted. That's what sounds like is happening. No feeders bigger than the space between their eyes. What are your temps on the basking spot? How do you take them? Babies don't really eat salad . All you can do is offer it everyday.

AmberH

Original Poster
The basking temp is anywhere between 105 and 110 I take the temp with a thermometer with a probe. The cool side is about 75-80 degrees. I was thinking about switching his staple diet to repti worms. What do you think about that? I've done tons of research and watched a lot of videos from Michael from Webe reptiles. It just seems that he likes worms better than crickets. He kind of stays dark under his belly but the rest of him is bright and colorful. His white urine is runny instead of solid as well so I didn't know if I was watering him too much or if parasites could be a factor?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Amber, can you post a few shots of him as well as his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Then hit XIMG

It's REALLY important to get the proper lights right now....if he is developing a calcium deficiency because the uvb is not reaching him to enable him to absorb calcium, then he may go downhill quickly. Until then, take him outside in a large plastic tote when it's not too hot , include a log for him to bask on and keep part of the tote in the shade. A good dose of sun can do wonders [ in the a.m or late afternoon, before sundown when it's not too hot ]

As Destiny mentioned, mealworms aren't good for babies and some dragons may snub crickets after they get a taste for them so then you have another problem besides possible impaction. He may bounce right back with a few adjustments. :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yes. Repti worms are excellent feeders. But you still want to give him a variety. Maybe add silk worms, horworms. Idk if you can get dubia where you live , they are very good feeders. It sounds liks hes well hydrated. I wouldn't worry about parasites as long as his poop doesn't smell very bad and his appetite is good. It sounds like your set up is good. :D

AmberH

Original Poster
Yes I will post pictures when I get home. Can someone send me a link to a site to get the UVB light and fixture for a reasonable price? I have been taking him outside but picking him up and stuff seems to stress him out. He was rubbing his nose on the glass so I put some foam pieces on the glass so it kinda looks funky. I'm trying to figure out getting a nice background for it. I will definitely get a variety of worms.

AmberH

Original Poster
Also I was going to try Dubia but my dad isn't too keen on roaches in the house and they kind of weird me out as well ?

AmberH

Original Poster
87644-6121346825.jpg
He always brightens right up after a bath. All these pics were taken just now within a few minutes of eachother. Even the ones of the tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that bulb and fixture are great. It's a good buy getting them both for that price.

AmberH

Original Poster
Okay awesome I'll order that as soon I can. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get good repti worms with over night shipping? The repti worms site only does 2-3 day priority and pick up at post office

AmberH

Original Poster
Okay I have ordered reptiworms and hornworms and they should be here tomorrow morning. Do you think he will be okay for a week on the lighting just so I can get my next paycheck in? If not I will have to go to petsmart and just buy a zoomed fixture with cash.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just bring him outside for a bit if the weather is nice and he can get a good amount of UVB from natural sunlight.

AmberH

Original Poster
Yes I will definitely do that. He seems to be perkier since I took him out this morning too so I will take him out again in just a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom