New Owner Questions...Vet Exams/Bathing/Ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anc90

Hatchling Member
This thrusday will make it 1 week since I owned Vinny,he's been doing great,likes his salad,I give him more than he eats but id rather have it in there incase he wants it. My questions are,when should he start going to the vet for his exams?When should he start having his baths,Im probably going to start handling him next week,this week we have comapny over and that just isnt the right time. He doesn't care when I go in his viv and change his wate/feed,and pet his head.. Is there anything specfic I should be asking about when we head over to the vet,or anything certain he needs?

Im already owned by this little guy! :roll:

Thanks!
Amanda

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Anytime you are ready will be a great time to start the baths!! Some love them, some hate them..just go slow, put a washcloth down for traction, hold him in your hand at first then gently drizzle the water down his back. Are you feeding him any insects and are you using supplements? What type of uvb lighting do you have? The water dish isn't neccessary, and can raise the humidity too high,,most wont drink from standing water. You can just drop some water on his nose and let it run down and if he is thirsty he will drink. What type of substrate is he on?
These are just a few questions to start off with. I hope you are having a good time with your baby and congratulations!!!
We love pictures so if you could post some that would be great!!! Where did you purchase him from? Usually I think you can take them after about a month to get checked and get a fecal done,,but you will soon learn that you will know if your dragon is will or not.

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kcarello":rxbn9wfv said:
Anytime you are ready will be a great time to start the baths!! Some love them, some hate them..just go slow, put a washcloth down for traction, hold him in your hand at first then gently drizzle the water down his back. Are you feeding him any insects and are you using supplements? What type of uvb lighting do you have? The water dish isn't neccessary, and can raise the humidity too high,,most wont drink from standing water. You can just drop some water on his nose and let it run down and if he is thirsty he will drink. What type of substrate is he on?
These are just a few questions to start off with. I hope you are having a good time with your baby and congratulations!!!
We love pictures so if you could post some that would be great!!! Where did you purchase him from? Usually I think you can take them after about a month to get checked and get a fecal done,,but you will soon learn that you will know if your dragon is will or not.

Thanks! When will they usually go through their first shed? He gets crickets with a calcium supplement on them,I also have an order of Phonix Worms ,that should be here in a day or so. Im reading on here which Multi Vitamin I should be going with... I'll have to check out the UVB but I am going to order the tube UVB,because of what I have been reading on here. As for substrate he is on the drawer line non-adhesve type. He is from a place called Toms Tropicals a little pet store in Maryland.
photo23em.jpg

photo24oc.jpg

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, he is adorable!! Probably won't be long and he will start shedding..again, and again and again!! Be sure to get Teh ReptiSun 10.0 tube uvb light!!

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was looking on BD.co Can I use those hangers for the uvb? To put in the tank,are those a good option?

Mariah94

Juvie Member
anc90":29pjdjhy said:
I was looking on BD.co Can I use those hangers for the uvb? To put in the tank,are those a good option?

You can try the hangers. I bought some clips and tried but didn't trust it without some double sided Velcro along with it. What a handsome boy! Love the colors. I've had my baby for four days and even after months and months of research I'm still stressing so bad for this little fella!!

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mariah94":348va5pa said:
anc90":348va5pa said:

You can try the hangers. I bought some clips and tried but didn't trust it without some double sided Velcro along with it. What a handsome boy! Love the colors. I've had my baby for four days and even after months and months of research I'm still stressing so bad for this little fella!!
Okay sounds like a plan! Thanks so much! I know I can't take my eyes of him!! Im in love,I had no clue It would be like this when I got him!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Bless your hearts!! I have some news,,,it only gets worse....the worry, fun, love..all of it...it only gets worse..or better as I like to think of it!!!! These are the most amazing little creatures!!

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kcarello":1om9egin said:
Bless your hearts!! I have some news,,,it only gets worse....the worry, fun, love..all of it...it only gets worse..or better as I like to think of it!!!! These are the most amazing little creatures!!

I can only imagine! He was falling asleep on my lap today,then he would catch himself falling asleep and look around..So adorable! Ordered new UVB bulb and housing for it tonight! Going to call around for some vets tomorrow to see which one would be the best,when I make the appt. is there anything special he should be looked at? I know to do a fecal(atleast I would like to get that done because he was housed with so many others at the pet store).Anything else he needs that day besides a "over view"?
--Amanda

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Definitley a fecal!!!!! Other than that, there really isn't much else, as long as he is healthy. A helpful thing would be for them to trim the nails and show you how to do it..its really easy!!
Where are you in Maryland?? Of course the only part I am familiar with is Ocean City! And I love it there! In fact our last trip there we took our granddaughter with us and she bought one of the green anoles from one of the Sunsations stores. When we got home and went to get all the stuff we needed for her lizard, that is when I started noticing these dragons...needless to say,,now I have two.
Anyway, when are you taking your baby to the vet?

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vinnys vet appointment is this Monday at 915am. I was thinking using the kitty condo to take him with some handwarmers on the bottom and a towel in there... The handwarmers won't burn his belly will they?

-Amanda

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How many crickets should he be eating? I ordered him some Phoenix worms and he seems less than interested in them,he eats some of his salad(maybe a couple pieces a day). He will eat a cricket or two If I hand feed them,but other than that he isn't very excited to eat? He is pooping normally and drinking normally when I bathed him. :banghead:

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vinny attacked his crickets today,literally. LOL So maybe he is just now settling in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom