NEW OWNER..LOT OF QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMILE143

I am a new beardie owner. I am unhappy with the pet store information. If I listened to them my beardie would have not lived untill now. Had my beardie for 14 days . Bought it for my 6 yr old who has alot of allergies.
How often do you bathe the dragon?
How can you get the dragon to eat if it wont eat the drops from your finger?
I offered pedialight. Is that really ok?It
How much and how often do they eat?
Can the uneaten crickets stay in the cage until eaten?
What do you think of Vitasand?
What does it mean when the beardie turns dull? After picking him up the colors came back a little.
How can you hold and train a Dragon that won't stand still when holding it. It is jumpy.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Welcome Usmile ! You have done the right thing in coming here.
I would bath your baby 3-4 times a week. Water temps @ 90-100*F for 10-15 minutes, totally supervised. Water should go up past his elbows.
Your bearded is still getting used to you and his new enclosure. Just give him some time, limit the handling except for the baths, he will come around soon.
You can use pedialyte, however with the baths you really don't need that.
Feeding:
Lights on, place salad with calcuim (with D3 if you are not using a Mercury Vapor bulb, with if a Reptisun 10.0 Tube) 5 days a week, a multivitamin 2 days a week, sprinkled over.
1-2 hours later, offer the first prey feeding of the day, sprinkle on the calcium/vitamins (don't use these together though).
2 hours later, second prey feeding without any sprinkles.
2 hours later, last prey feeding, same as above.
2 hours later, lights out.
I usually bath my babies about an hour before bedtime, and bundle them up in a towel to lay on my chest, to acclimate them to me, before laying them back into their vivs for bedtime.
Babies and juveniles need anywhere from 50-100 prey feeders daily. Now that being said, if yours is still getting used to you, it may not eat as many until it does . I feed in a separate container in the viv, enough for about 15 minutes of eating. You may wish to drop in a few at a time, until the baby is full, and he will let you know, by trying to get out, or getting out of the feeder container.
Feeders NEVER should be left in the viv with the dragon. They can chew on the sleeping dragon at nights and leave nasty infections.
Any kind of particle substrate is not recommended for young dragons, due to the particles absorbing the "litter" and breeding bacteria as well as impaction.
Ceramic tile, paper towels, newspaper, non adhesive lining are all good substrates.
As for the colors, what kind of UVB are you using, how far away is it from the dragon. What are you using for heat, and how do you measure your temps ?
It is common for a bearded to darken to absorb more light, when stressed, and when active, shows lighter colors.
Once again, once your little one gets acclimated, and this can take up to as much as a month, you can lay your hand down in front of him, sliding slowly under neath him, supporting his front, belly and back legs. If he is really squirmy, you can use a towel to "burrito" him and hold him against your chest.
Also by placing an old tee shirt with your smell on it, will help him to know you are his slave, and are safe to trust.
Hope this all helps out! Ask for clarification on anything you didn't understand !
Janie.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
I assume you have a baby dragon, correct? I will try and answer some of your questions..
USMILE143":416c2 said:
How often do you bathe the dragon?
It depends. If it is a baby then every day. If it is a juvie/adult you can bathe every other day for about 10/15 minutes. You should mist the beardie on days you don't bathe.
How much and how often do they eat?
Baby should eat 50-100 crickets a day. They should also be offered greens daily. Adults eat more veggies than live food but should eat 50 crickets a week divided up in the days. They should eat more veggies and should be offered more.
Can the uneaten crickets stay in the cage until eaten?
No. The crickets can get hungry and nibble on the beardie causing sores. It's better to just feed in another container, maybe a rubber maid.
What do you think of Vitasand?
It can cause impaction, which can be fatal, so it's better to just stay away from it all together. Some good alternatives are paper towel, reptile carpet, NON ADHESIVE shelf liner, or slate tile.
What does it mean when the beardie turns dull?
It can mean alot of things. It can mean that the beardie is cold and trying to soak in the heat. They could be angry or hungry or a bunch of things.

Hope this helps a little

Brittany&Buddah

Beardys Rock

Hatchling Member
How often do you bathe the dragon? I do once-twice a day for 20 minutes but you can do once and make sure the water isn't to hot, Like luke-warm or the temperature you'd bathe a young baby in :)

How can you get the dragon to eat if it wont eat the drops from your finger?
You can try turkey or chicken baby food, mix in your calcium supplements and feed with a needless syringe.

I offered pedialight. Is that really ok?
Pedialight being the stuff for kids?http://pedialyte.com/

How much and how often do they eat? if you have a baby offer all it will eat 3 times a day.

Can the uneaten crickets stay in the cage until eaten? I'd take them out and provide a dish of vegetables, check out the ones suitable here: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

What do you think of Vitasand? Terrible, I use slate tile and don't regret the switch one bit!

What does it mean when the beardie turns dull? what UVB lighting are you using and how high is your basking spot and cool end?

How can you hold and train a Dragon that won't stand still when holding it? Don't handle it if it's jumpy it's probably just settling in, try putting a shirt you worn for the day in it's hide or basking spot to get used to your scent and maybe an hour before bedtime when it's dark wrap your dragon in a towel or small blanket and lye him on your chest.. just slowly introduce your hand and make sure you never go to pick them up from above if they don't know your coming it will scare them.

Austin

USMILE143

Original Poster
THANKS EVERYONE! THIS DRAGON ONLY EATS 4 TO 10 LIVE FEED AT AT TIME. MOSTLY 4. I CAN'T KEEP CRICKETS ALIVE, SO I PURCHASED PHOENIX WORMS FOR HIM TO PUT ON SALAD THAT HE DOES NOT EAT. I HAD A 150 WATT BASKING BULB, THOUGHT I WAS COOKING HIM SO I GOT A 75 WATT BULB. I HAVE AN MVB BULB I TRY TO KEEP 12 INCHES AWAY. THE BABY LET ME HOLD HIM WITHOUT TRYING TO GET AWAY FINALLY! IT TOOK SOME TIME, BUT HE LETS ME HOLD HIM NOW. HE JUST DOESN'T EAT AS MUCH AS SUGGESTED. I PURCHASED CANNED CRICKETS TO. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom