New Owner: Are my basking lamps too hot?

Rokshox71

Beardie name(s)
Ace
We just got this enclosure for our Beardie Ace My lil guy won't bask on the hammock or rock formation under the Carolina Cages UVB + 2 x 75W lamps I have in his enclosure (48Lx18Dx24H).

Instead he seems to prefer under the hammock, or off to the side of the rock formation like in the photo. Any recommendations on what to do? Go to 2 x 50W, 1 x 75W or anything else?

Attachments

• Ace.jpg
    Ace.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 183

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What are the temps in his basking spots?

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
Using a thrive 2-in-1 thermometer and hygrometer it’s showing 120 & climbing. Should I get 50w bulbs?
Am gonna move the rock cave away, what temp should I target?
That sounds really high basking spots should usually be 31-38C (88-100F).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is that your basking SURFACE temp?

You're going to need a digital thermometer with probe end to measure your surface temps. It's the most important temp.

And 120 is way too hot. No higher than 110 at basking SURFACE.

If your thermometer stuck to the glass reading the air temp is saying 120, basking surface is probably much much higher, which is why he's not setting foot on it.

And, no need to have two basking bulbs side by side. Just use one.

-Brandon

Rokshox71

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
I removed one and the temp on the hammock has dropped and settled at 107.2 for now. Do you think that is safe or should I look at picking up a 50W or 2x35W? I’m worried that once the UVB bulb arrives it will raise the temp a lil more. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I removed one and the temp on the hammock has dropped and settled at 107.2 for now. Do you think that is safe or should I look at picking up a 50W or 2x35W? I’m worried that once the UVB bulb arrives it will raise the temp a lil more. Thoughts?
As stated from Brandon please get your surface basking temps to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- place the probe where he would sit for basking wait 10 min or so and get the temp--basking bulbs are trial and error --- where is your UVB and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture?

Rokshox71

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
As stated from Brandon please get your surface basking temps to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- place the probe where he would sit for basking wait 10 min or so and get the temp--basking bulbs are trial and error --- where is your UVB and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture?
I am using the thrive digital 2-in-1 hygrometer&thermometer and placed the probe on top of the hammock where I’d expect him to bask. The temp has settled around 107 after about 45 mins. My uvb should be delivered tomorrow and is a long tube from reptisun. I’ll get UVB installed tomorrow and update y’all then. Thank you all so far for helping me out with Aces new home.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom