new owner and new dragon, am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I recently got Trogdor from the pet store, where he was extremely active and when fed, ate a dozen crickets, and quickly! When we purchased him, we bought the "kit" that the store said we needed to raise him healthily. Our viv is 18x18x24 while he is a baby, we plan to keep this for the next few months. we also got a UVA/UVB light and a heat lamp. The lamp is 100W and the UVA is a flourescent tube, 12W bulb that says "for reptiles only" on it. The brand name is Rep Zilla. He is currently on newspaper and has a water bowl which we supplement with a calcium liquid supplement. We also have Rep Cal which we powder our crickets with at every feeding, as well as herpivite which we powder the crickets with once a week. His basking site is at 105 degrees and the cool side of his viv is 82 degrees. When we first got Trogdor, he gobbled up crickets like crazy, he ate 12 quickly in his first day, he was energetic and alert. The next day at feeding time he ate less, around 4 or 5, but did nibble on the remaining crickets throughout the day. after that he ate 2, but left all the others, he was much less active and seemed kind of dopey. That was 2 days ago and he hasnt eaten since. Trogdor has also become much less active, to a point where he just lies there with his eyes closed all day, only moving from his basking site to the floor of the viv. Trogdor is about 8" long, and began shedding his skin over the last couple days. I have been cleaning out the viv daily as well, and he hasn't pooped in 2 days either. I have handled him a couple times for short periods of time, and he is unresponsive. I wonder if he just has no stimulus and is bored. He doesn't even seem to care if a cricket runs over his face. I put 2 crickets in there today and he hasn't even looked at them.

What should I do?

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there,
Your temps seem ok, but I am unfamiliar with your UVB bulb. If it is by Zilla (like you said) it is probably unsafe. I would recommend a Reptisun 10.0 tube bulb. Don't mix up reptisun and reptiglo. Your temps are fine, but what are you using to take them? For example, analog thermometer, digital with probe thermometer, temperature gun, etc... Keep us updated on him!

Erin

gini

Sub-Adult Member
I aggre with everything that has been said as far as the UVB goes and it is probably relocation stress. Since your dragon is still very young you may want to try to spray him down every few days they love that!

TrogdorsKeeper

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far, I went out today and purchased a mega ray lamp, The guy I talked to breeds dragons and recommended it. From what I've seen on here, they look like a good thing to get. Anyways, He perked up and got on all fours for the last couple hours of his daylight. Unfortuneatly he didnt eat anything yet but he looks a whole lot better than he did the last couple days. Here's hoping he eats a bit tomorrow!!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Im still pretty new to this, so correct me if Im wrong buuuuut... Im pretty sure that you should have at least a 40 gal breeder if you are using a MVB. :) Its just what Ive been hearing lately!
Congrats on you new lil baby!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Make sure the temps are proper with that light! The light should be 12-14 inches away from the dragons basking point! Also he may stress a little after changing out lights! Give it a day or 2 !!! Good luck.... :wink:

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Jess is right, you need at least a 40 gallon breeder tank with the MVB. Those things can get VERY hot, so please make sure it's at least 12 or more inches away from the basking spot! You may need to play around with the height so you have a proper 100-110 degree basking spot. Sorry for asking again, but what are you using to take your temperatures with?

TrogdorsKeeper

Original Poster
I am using an exo therm digital thermometer, he still didnt eat anything today, and his eyes are always closed, but he is holding himself up better today. Thanks for the help! I think my tank is 40 gal, the basking spot is rocks which vary from about 9-16 inches from the light, generally he prefers to be about halfway up the rock thingy I made, which is about 12" away

Jess

Extreme Poster
You said your viv was 24X18X18, and a 40 breeder is 36X18X18.
Try tempting him with something yummy- Like a wax worm or something. Mine LOVES baby food squash (and Ive heard alot of other dragons so too!). My dragon was force fed for 2 weeks before I adopted him because he wouldnt eat on his own, so they can go for a little while with out food. Pedialyte (sp?) and Gaterade are supposed to give them a little "jump start" too! :) Good luck!

TrogdorsKeeper

Original Poster
Yeah, my tank isnt 40 gal, i did the math. I did put the screen on the cage and raised the lamp, as well as blocked about 1/3 of the light to limit the overall temp of the tank, he seems more active now, I came home for my lunch break to see how he was doing. He was basking, lifting his head. Still no interest in crickets though, hopefully he becomes more alert.

The Exo Terra Solar glo MVB 125w is probably the weakest out of the lot of em, from what ive researched. If that's the road your going down, but you will need a stand so you can alter the distance between the basking spot and the light.

I have the solar glo and me and Jodie are starting to get comfortable with it, right distance, seems to be doing the job its suppose to do. I do however have my tank open topped now to let the heat escape otherwise it would be incredible hot hot hot :)

I think in your case maybe a tube and basking light would be better and easier to manage

Good Luck John

crickest

Juvie Member
To help him through the relocation stress and the stress of getting your lights worked out, try hand feeding squash baby food through a small syringe or eye dropper at least twice a day. Squash is a staple, so he can eat as much as he wants, plus it has a lot of water in it, so will help keep him hydrated. I would also recommend baths for him, since he has been off his diet. You don't want him dehydrated. (water warm, not hot, to the touch, no deeper than his armpits, but make sure it covers his vent, don't leave him unattended). I had to feed my new baby squash for the first month, since she wasn't crazy about crickets or worms. Then, one day, she just went crazy on them and is now eating 200 live feeders a day (roaches and worms). Sometimes it takes a bit to get them started, and the baby food really helps get you over that hump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom