Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

This is Skywalker

89905-2243826916.jpg

89905-3259075904.jpg

89905-5462112836.jpg

89905-9800734305.jpg

89905-1777097574.jpg

I've never owned a beardie before, and already I'm suffering from over-protective-new-mom-syndrome.

He's a cool little lizard! (or she...quite frankly I can't tell yet.)

Quick as lightning, likes to lick everything (lol), but doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. Although I'm sure that has something to do with being in a new environment. I've only had the little booger for six days.

I look forward to learning as much as I can here =)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to the forum! Could you give us a complete run down of everything? Lights, temps, food, thermometer, UV, etc

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Hello and thank you for the welcome!

Skywalker was a christmas gift from petco, so my grandparents gave me one of those "desert lizard" kits. It came with a white day bulb (it gets pretty hot) and a sort of purple-looking night-bulb that also gives off heat.

I purchased a UVB bulb (it's a small coil light bulb), because that's what I was able to get at the moment. As for temps, I can't give you accurate temps. The tank came with a stick-on temperature gauge and the needle doesn't really seem to move up or down more than 2 degrees past 80 no matter where I put it...so I have a feeling that's not very accurate. Especially since that light gets too hot for me to touch it. I'm in the process of waiting for a more accurate thermometer from Amazon.

Skywalker has eaten crickets, and dubia roaches. But never more than 8 small crickets in a day...even if I offer more later, he just isn't interested. He wouldn't eat anything yesterday- but did lick up some blended fruit I dabbed on his nose. And so far today, hasn't seemed interested in eating either. I did just notice his foot has started shedding though?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, to be honest, those kits are junk. Did it come with sand? If so, take it out immediately. Change the UV bulb from a coil to a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 tube one. Get a new thermometer, and IR temp gun is preferable. Crickets and dubia are great staple insects. How often are you feeding him? he should be eating 2-3 times a day.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
JessPets":5wtpcers said:
Okay, to be honest, those kits are junk. Did it come with sand? If so, take it out immediately. Change the UV bulb from a coil to a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 tube one. Get a new thermometer, and IR temp gun is preferable. Crickets and dubia are great staple insects. How often are you feeding him? he should be eating 2-3 times a day.

The kit actually came with carpet, but I do also have a bag of sand as well. I'll make sure to take the sand out and use the carpet. =)

Do you need one of those over-tank hoods to use the tube lights?

He only eats once a day- even if I offer food 2-3 times. He refused food altogether yesterday. The only exception would be today, he did eat twice. Once in the morning when he ate a bit of reptaboost, and then about 5 little dubia roaches in the afternoon. (I guess...the vitamins perked him up?)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
You don't necessarily need a hood. Just a under the counter fluorescent fixture form Home Depot or Walmart would work :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom