New Mali Uro!! Pics and a few questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! We are very excited to announce that we have a new member of our family....a Mali Uromastyx! We picked him up at a reptile show and we just love him! We were told that a 20g long tank would be perfect for him and that he was just under a year old. He seems to be a sweetheart and lovesss Turnip Greens. We have never owned a Uro before so this is all new to us but we were told that they are similar to Beardies when it comes to lighting and all. I'm kind of worried about the lighting tho. For our tank we have a uvb and a 75w Zoo Med ReptiHalogen bulb, is that okay? At night, I was told they don't need a light but when I woke up this am, he was really cold and didn't want to move much so tonight I used an extra bulb I found lying around, a Zilla 150w Night Black Light to keep him warm while he sleeps. I'm heading to the store tomorrow to get a few things for the animals and I would like to know what kind of lights I should be using for a 20g long tank. His basking temp is only in the 90's so I think that's still a little colder than it should be. The guy we got him from said his basking temp should be around 120. Also, we are planning on changing his substrate, I used reptile carpet on all of my other animals but for him we have him on Cali Sand and I understand that this isn't the best choice so that will be changed as well. We are debating his name still, we are thinking between Dexter and Ripken. Anyhow, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

uro.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

For a basking temp, you want it 120-130.

90 degrees is WAY too cool.

What do your temps get to at night? I have never used additional heat at night with Calcifer.

What are you using for uvb? It is my opinion that Uros need higher levels of UVB than beardies. Reptisun's 10.0 wouldn't be the best for a Uro IMO.
A powersun would work great.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
........ Which brings up a new point.

in a 20g with a basking temp of 130, it will be almost impossible to have a good temp gradient.
Uros need big tanks simply for the fact that the big tanks are needed to keep a good temp gradient.

I would imagine the cool side would be too hot with a 130degree basking temp.

-Brandon

ReptarAndChomper11

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response!

I figured that 90 degrees was too low so I'm trying to figure what watt light I will need to get the temps right. At night before the heat light I used last night it got down to about 65-70...I was told that was okay for at night but he was very cold in the am and not really moving much so that worried me.

We have a Repti Glo uv that we got from the reptile show.

The guy we got him from said that a 20g would be okay for him but nothing smaller. We have an extra 40 breeder tank, would that be a little better?

We are going to update a few things because his setup just doesn't seem to be working out. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the 40g definitely would be better.

If you can get a 160watt powersun for your 40g, that should get you the temps you need, and it provides a good amount of uvb too.

-Brandon

ReptarAndChomper11

Original Poster
Thanks! I just adore him, he has so much personality! This is a pic of him after eating his dinner....he was saving some for later. :lol:

(excuse his shedding :) )

dexter.jpg

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I love your mali uro, he's very cute! It says you got him at a reptile show, what breeder did you get him from? Feel free to post some more pictures, I'd love to see more of him!

-Kaleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom