New here and new to Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikimom07

Hi all! My name is Kristy, I'm engaged to Joe and we have 3 daughters between us ages 8yr, 4yr, 6mon. We also have two dogs and two Axolotls so we decided we needed more to take on and got two juvinile Beardies :wink: I'm new to owning any reptiles, I'm a vet tech but thats to mostly dogs and cats. I've been doing my research and reading alot from here and other places (got to say this is my favorite place though!)
About the dragons...we got them from an exotic pet store that was closing. They were housed with a couple other beardies and they were bread and born in that store, we saw the mom and dad. The staff really knew what they were talking about and were very helpful. I forgot to ask age and sex but they about 5 inches long and from what I can tell they are both female. We are working on building an enclosure but right now they are both housed together in a 15g tank. I've ordered the reptisun 10 and until then I soak them outside in the 87* sunny weather we have had for about 15-30 min. They only poop in the water and from what I can tell it looks normal. They eat about 10 crx twice a day, I want to get roaches because these darn crx are hard to catch! I also offer them finely chopped collards and parsley with shredded carrot and squash but they rarely touch it.
I've only had them for 5 days and am so attached, I can't wait to get to know them more and them more comfortable with me.
Any info you can toss my way I'd appreciate but will continue to lurk and learn :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Kristy

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Congrats and welcome! Just wanted to point out that most of the time, housing two beardies together will result in nipped tails, toes, a smaller submissive beardie, squabbles between the two, etc. It's always best to have the separated. If you're building a large enough enclosure, you can partition off half of it for each beardie.

I would definitely recommend the roaches. Darwin likes them a lot better, and the butterball appreciates the small amount of effort he has to catch one compared to crickets. Also, I only feed about 5ish roaches a feeding, which is about 30 equally sized crickets (if crickets grew to be 1.25" long), so they're definitely more filling. It's also helped me to get over my slight roach phobia :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom