New Gutload, Ammonia Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
So in my feeder bins, I have also gutloaded with Alfalfa Powder and provided hydration by way of water crystals,vegetables,fruits and even dripping systems into shallow dish. Just recently , I read an article about using soaked alfalfa pellets in order to provide both the gutload and hydration. So i tried this in two of my feeder bins, and now both of the bins I have tried this in have a strong ammonia like smell. Is this due to something in the alfalfa pellets thats causing the dubia urine to have a strong ammonia smell? or is it a buildup of moisture in the alfalfa causing this? surely it is something to be concerned about, am I correct?

I have been feeding dubia over for about 8 years now and never ran into this before, used many many diff gutloads over the years. The only thing that really makes sense to me is that it is due to moisture, I am going to leave the lids open overnight.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So I just decided to clean those bins out and try again with less of the wet alfalfa this time

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Get rid of the water crystals, these are a polymer that the bugs have to eat to get the water that's chemically bound in them by hydrogen bonding, and IMO is a real risk when beardies eat the crickets with the water crystals in their guts.

Carrot is a much better source of water for the crickets as well a lefty greens such as buk choi . puk choi (also rich in calcium too).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HKzForDayz":2b3gbzb6 said:
I am not using water crystals?

mmm

I have also gutloaded with Alfalfa Powder and provided hydration by way of water crystals,vegetables,fruits and even dripping systems into shallow dish.

I suspect the ammonia smell comes from the liquid fertilizer used to grow the alfalfa by the farmer, probably still on the greens when dried. Add water and it breaks down and smells of ammonia.
I would stop using the stuff.

Plenty of better foods to gutload the bugs with which are not contaminated.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The ammonia was due to small amounts of mold starting to form, due to excess moisture. Set up again with less mixture, we are on our second day with no odor. Looks like we are in the clear for now.

Also, my alfalfa comes from a very reputable source , completely organic. No added chemicals, plus you would be hard pressed to find another gutload with the varied nutritional profile of alfalfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom