New future owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinim

Hi all,

I have been around this site for the last week or two doing research for getting my first dragon with my daughter for her 8th birthday. It is the pet she chose, and it is a great opportunity to enter the reptile world. I am so glad that I found this site, there is such a wealth of knowledge to be found here it has really helped me with my search and expectations.

Just wanted to say hello, and if anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area knows of any good deals on equipment and/or knows of a reputable breeder in the area, I would really appreciate it, it is so difficult to find good information in most stores.

I look forward to sharing my setup and my beardie once we get everything.

Thanks,
Preston

twinim

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone seems really friendly and there is such a wealth of knowledge and varying experiences. It is a great resource for my first dive into the reptile world. I am really looking forward to it, especially since I get to do it with my daughter. I will post more as I start to get supplies.

twinim

Original Poster
So, have been working hard on getting my enclosure ready and I think I am finally done, have never done anything like this before. My daughter and I went out and got the furniture for the little guy, and will probably get one this following weekend, just need to make sure we have a food source, crickets, for it. My wife is not keen at all on raising dubia so crickets it is, unless there is something else easy to raise that is not a roach, lol.

Anyway, here is the enclosure...
IMG_0214_zpscee9a381.jpg

It is 4'x2'x18". I am using an 85W halogen bulb with a dimmable fluker's lamp fixture. Reptisun 10.0 24" UVB. 2 digital thermometers and I am getting 112.6 at the basking spot on the tree and about 81 on the cool end, though it will likely drop to around 65 at night, if that much.

Needless to say, we are getting pretty excited to get the little guy/gal. Will post more pics when we get him/her.

twinim

Original Poster
I do actually have a question about my basking light. Like I said in my last post I have an 85 watt halogen spot light bulb. Thing is I have to dim it down quite a bit to get the temp correct. Am I better off getting a lower wattage bulb so I can have it brighter for my beardie? Also, the bulb is not coated, but it is multi-faceted, is that an issue at all for his eyes?

Thanks for your help. I want to have this corrected if need be before we get our little one.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
nice cage :) I would use a dimmer light so it will keep the right temp in there. I personally just use regular light bulbs they are cheap and get good heat off of them

twinim

Original Poster
Thanks! I am really pleased with how it turned out. I did end up getting a lower wattage bulb and am dialing in the temps as I write this. It is able to give more light as I don't have to dim it as much. Will post more pics once we get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom