New foods for Elijah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
I keep Elijah on a pretty simple diet of crickets (about 30 a day), veggies, and baby food (squash mostly) but I want to expand his horizon. Petsmart only carries crickets (and superworms and waxworms but I need nutrition here). I've been reading around on the posts that dubia roaches are good as are phoenix worms and silkworms. I have no idea how to keep any of those and where I can get them. I have no interest in breeding them, just feeding them. Thanks! 8)

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
From what I read on the beautiful dragons caresheet is that Phoenix worms aren't a staple food. Silkworms can be but they seem harder to find. Dubia roaches seem like a good idea too, I don't have the right conditions for breeding them (nor do I really care to). I'm going to keep looking around. Thanks for the input.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
There are several places that you can order your feeders online and it is much cheaper. If you want to order worms or crix check out Mulberry farms if you live on the west coast. There lots insect farms out there, I am sure someone can recommend a different one for your area if you are not WC. Also, if you are interested in Roaches check out the for sale forum on here. I get my dubias from theroachguy.com

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I've been looking at TONS of website for insects for sale. My husband is squeemish about to roach thing. He says to stick with crickets. I'm still trying to talk him into it. But I did find sites on here for silkworms and phoenix worms and crickets for cheap. Thanks for the help. :blob5:

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Hey, no problem. And if you need help convincing your hubby to do the roach thing just tell him that dubias can't climb the bin to get out and are not noisy or SMELLY like crickets. They are also allot easier to take care of and a better food source for your beardie. They are practically impossible to kill too. LOL so you don't have any go to waste. When I was convincing my hubby to do the roach thing we were at a Reptile convention last September and he went around asking a bunch of the breaders. One of them said something I thought was funny. Crickets are like a taco, they have just a little bit of meat and the rest is just shell and other junk and is not that filling or satisfying. Roaches are like a hamburger lots of meat. Who wants a taco when you can have a burger? LOL
If he still needs convincing show him this info there is a table with more into on http://www.theroachguy.com/new_page_1.htm

Species Moisture % Protein % Fat % Ash %

Dubia Roach 61 % 36 % 7 % 2 %

Trukistan Roach 64 % 37 % 5.5 % 2 %

crickets 74% 18% 6% 1%

Mealworm 59 % 10 % 13 % 1 %

Dr. Phoenix

Hatchling Member
We're pleased to report that Phoenix Worms(R) have gone GREEN and are now listed as a staple food item on the Beautiful Dragons nutritional chart! Let the head bobbing and glass dancing begin ...

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.
President, Insect Science Resource LLC
Professor Emeritus, UGA
http://www.phoenixworm.com

cmiller

Dr. Phoenix":2ffrqn5q said:
We're pleased to report that Phoenix Worms(R) have gone GREEN and are now listed as a staple food item on the Beautiful Dragons nutritional chart! Let the head bobbing and glass dancing begin ...

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.
President, Insect Science Resource LLC
Professor Emeritus, UGA
http://www.phoenixworm.com

This is good to know....I feed my 2 BDs worms as treats.....When the older one sees the container come out she goes crazy....They both LOVE them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom