New first time bearded dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Hello everyone, I am a brand new bearded dragon owner as of today. My husband and I along with our two kids went to repticon in tampa today and brought home a dragon for $25. I don't really know what kind it is. The vendors had it in a container full of normals for $25, while I was looking at something else my husband urged me over to point it out. When I told the vendor that I wanted it he said "oops, that's a hypo, he's supposed to be $40, but since you saw it for $25 I guess I will sell it to you for that". The guy said he thinks its a male.

556537_4206870249492_1599728711_n.jpg

484328_4205906625402_1800066680_n.jpg

I am not new to herps, we currently have 7 snakes including our oldest are a cornsnake we've had for 7 years and a ball python we've had for 6 years. I also have two cats and 3 freshwater aquariums so I know the time and research involved in giving new animals an optimal living environment and I've been researching getting a bearded dragon for over a year now, so this wasn't really an impulse purchase. I DO have some questions though.
I was told he is only a couple of months old and I bought some crickets that I was told were small enough for him while we were there, (smaller than the space between his eyes). I still need to buy some calcium powder to dust the crickets and veggies with. I also chopped up some kale really small and put it in his enclosure on a small flat plastic lid, and I have another plastic lid with water in it that he can walk through, A climbing branch, a UV light (with UVB) and a heat lamp that I bought a nighttime light for, since he is young I figured I would keep it on all the time for now. I have a 20 gallon long terrerium and a screen top and the heat lamp is one one side with the climbing branch under it. temperature right now with the UV light off is 80 degrees F on the cool side and 94 on the warm side. The UV light is a T8 flourescent light, I think it is about 18" so it covers a decent area, and I used tinfoil to close in around the lid a little bit to help hold the heat in.

please tell me if I am doing anything wrong or if you have any suggestions? Thank you very much.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, does anyone else have any tips or ideas on what I could do better? I only want the best for this little guy, as I do for any creature I keep.

Welcome!

I'm not an expert or anything, but the temp on the warm side seems kind of low? What I DO know is that the best UVB bulb is the Reptisun, and that other lights can cause eye problems. It happened to my beardie, so I want to warn you before any damage occurs!

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Different area's under the basking light are a little different. Some areas are around 100-105 depending on where I aim the infared thermometer. It is a 75w bulb.

I will be upgrading him to a larger viv. I want to buy one with a wood back and maybe screen and glass front or build one possible. I know the 20 gallon will only be good for a few months. The minimum he will be in is a 40 gallon breeder sized terrerium.

He is eating really good now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom