new enclosure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Scaley is going to be a traveling dragon. I currently have him in an 18x18x36 with a 24" T5 UVB, basking light, and CHE. He will be in that on weekends. On weekdays, he's going to have a 48x24x24. My husband is using the crossfire plans to build it, but I'm a little confused by the best lighting.

We have not been able to find a fixture for the T5 uvb at all, except for the dedicated reptile ones by reptisun. But after doing some reading, it looks like the T8 is fine if it's not blocked by a wire mesh screen. Is that true? If so, we should get a 36" bulb and 36" fixture and mount it inside the enclosure on the back at the top, correct?

For lights, what is the best light to use? The plans for the Crossfire are 7 years old, and now I'm finding it's almost impossible to find a non-LED light unless you get the specialized reptile ones from the pet store. Or does someone have another suggestion?

Because we do not prefer to keep our house warm enough for a reptile (seriously, how do you people far from the equator live in a house that doesn't need a CHE 24/7 to keep temps warm enough?!), he'll need a CHE. Is it okay to have one in the enclosure if there is no way for him to touch it? If not, what is an alternative?

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd use the same T5 for the crossfire. A 24'' fixture (w/22'' bulb) mounted over the basking area 12'' above should do the trick quite nicely. You could use the 36'' the same way if you wish. For a basking bulb I'd put in a screw socket and then try some different wattages. I've had good luck using PAR38 halogen flood lights. They dim well too so you can set it on a dimming thermostat or a manual lamp dimmer to control temps given that the hard top will set it's height. The crossfire will probably hold heat well but I also keep my house cold. I use a heat projector bulb from MegaRayhttp://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196 It sits over the cool side and my thermostat is programmed to kick it in (pulse mode) as needed overnight to keep the temp at around 73. I use a herpstat2 to control both lights.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are fairly big/heavy but are tough and dim well. I use mine in an Exo Terra 36x18x18''. It sits in a dome fixture hanging from an adjustable lamp stand holding it about 22'' from the floor of the tank and about 16'' from the basking spot at the moment. My basking probe is reading 103f and it's running at 100% at the moment in a 62f house.

Basking bulb is on the left, heat projector on the right. T5 UVB across the front.

76248-8383156387.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom