New enclosure ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axl86

I've had Spike for about 4 months, so I'm guessing him around 5 months old. He is just over 12" head to tail, mostly all tail though! Anyway I felt he was getting too big for his 20g starter so I had this giant old birdcage laying around and decided to make it his new home. I have it set up with 2 levels. A basking platform that you can see in the pic and a lower play level for extra space. I have his 150w basking, UVB light and night bulb exactly 12" from platform. Does this enclosure seem ok? I don't really want to keep him in a tank. I feel like he likes having more space to roam. Thoughts? I just threw it together tonight so I already plan on more decor, but is there anything else ?
87059-1237759348.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The enclosure looks nice, how large is it?
That looks like a blue light overhead, what type of lights are you using?
Two levels sounds nice for him, he probably spends a lot of time on the level with his lights.
What are the temperatures in the tank?

Tracie

Axl86

Original Poster
I need to get a thermometer that can detect the heat in certain area, I've been monitoring his behavior and he seems ok temp wise but I don't wanna leave it as a guess for long. His basking is a 150 watt regular light bulb (gets really hot). And his UBV is the coil type until I can figure out how to mount his strip. The enclosure is very large, but he only can utilize about half of the height. It's 5' tall and approx 3' wide and long

ruben0311

Juvie Member
if you run into trouble keeping the temperatures good you can simply cut up some boards in order to seal up the back and sides

Ed707

Hatchling Member
I'd get rid of that coil as soon as you possibly can and hang a reptisun t5 10.0 ho strip or arcadia 12% t5 bulb, both need a reflector. Mounted 12 inches away from his basking area and the basking area set up in the middle of the strip with the basking bulb over the basking area so both uvb/uva/heat all overlap. Coil bulbs aren't a good choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom