New Dragon owner, adopted a dragon that was poorly cared for

Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffe42

It all started when I was just browsing the animal section of craigslist. There was a post about a Bearded Dragon up for adoption. I looked up the subject on google, did a few hours worth of reading and decided that I would take him in. I emailed the poster asking them about the tank, if they had ALL the necessary lightning, some general questions about the Dragon and what they have been feeding them. A few days of back and forth emails later, on a hot Friday evening I was on my way to pick her up. Unfortunately I was a couple hours late because of an unusual amount of traffic on the way from work ; I called them ahead to warn them that I would be late. When I get there it takes me a while to find the right house as the one I needed and the ones around it have no lightning. I knock on the door to hear nothing back. I gave them a call and got the house answering machine which I could clearly hear outside. I was with a friend so we stood around for a bit discussing what we should do now, at that point a guy walked up to us asking if we had come for the Dragon; a few minutes later I was helping him carry out the tank. I thought to myself "This looks like a small tank", but having been promised a 40 gallon tank and not knowing what one looks like I gave it little mind at the moment. Next the guy gives me a silver dome light with a 100W regular bulb in there, I asked him if that was it and he said yes; at this point I will mention that I was arranging the whole deal with his sister and she was not home at the moment. This was the point where I realized that this Dragon has not been taken care of well, to say the least; that and also the lack of any kind of basking log or rock in the tank! :angry5:
all.jpg

Unfortunately by then all the stores were closed and I would not be able to do anything to improve this situation.

When I woke up on Saturday, skipping my shower and breakfast, I went straight to the nearest Petco, bought the imitation log you can see in the picture and 50 crickets as at the time of the pickup I was informed that they had fed her on Monday! It was suspicious that the store had only one isle (consisting of one shelf, about 7ft long) of reptile products right at the entrance with very little stuff on it so I asked an associate, pointing at the isle, if they had any other products for reptiles possibly elsewhere in the store; the answer was no. So I paid for my purchases (also got a spraybottle, superworms and eco-earth for my chinchillas) and rushed back home to feed the dragon. She had fun eating the crickets but during the process I noticed even more that the tank was kind of small for her to move around comfortably, oh and did I mention it had sand everywhere? I spend some time browsing the internets and figuring a list of what else I needed to get for her and some sites on line to get it from. Later that evening I ended up going back to that same Petco to get stuff for my dog and while wandering around looking for dog stuff I found a whole other inconspicuous reptile isle with more stuff in it like lights, unfortunately they only had the reptile carpet with the dreaded loops. I bought a Reptisun 5.0 and this light:

new_bulb.jpg

I came home and replaced the light right away but this light is too big for the enclosure so I had to prop it up with letters that you see in the picture of the tank. She immediately took up her basking spot on the log.

dr03.jpg

Here is a few questions:
1) Should I keep the imitation log or get a rock or a real log? If the rock is the answer then where do I get it? I have not seen any stores selling any.
2) Should she be fine with the T-rex mercury bulb or should I use the reptisun as well?

Sunday went by fine, did research on line, found alto of interesting things. Fed her some crickets, tried feeding her apple, she grabbed a piece straight from my hand. Chopped up some more apple and gave it to her in bowl and dropped some crickets in it, while catching crickets she grabbed a piece of apple with one and ate all the other pieces. Then I tried feeding her a mix of shedded carrots, chopped up green peas and broccoli and she just ignored it. I tied some banana to a string and lowered it to her and she gladly consumed a few pieces of banana this way. I need to get the salad moving! Although its not practical to get a whole bunch of things on a string. Here is a few more questions:
3) Do I need to chop up the vegetables to pieces shorter than the distance be ween her eyes or will she bite off as she sees fit? I have noticed with the apple and the banana she chewed them up pretty thouroughly.
4) Where do I get such things as collard, kale, dandelion, bok choy, turnip and mustard greens? Also escarole and chickory?

On Monday I noticed a Pet Smart on the way home from work and decided to stop by and see what I could get there. They actually have a very good selection of reptile products. There I got some Zoo Med reptile carpet, a vibrating food dish (did not help with the veggies, she just completely ignored it), some more crickets and some of this stuff:
powder.jpg

Most importantly I saw a real 40 gallon tank in this store! Yeah and to think I thought the tank I had was a 40 gallon one. I will buy one either off the internet or in the store (does anyone know any good reptile stores around Philadelphia area?)

I am planning to give her a bath and take her to a vet as soon as I think I could handle her. I already found a good reptile vet which is the same one I take my dog to, and they always treated my dog very good so I hope the reptile vet they have is just as good (let me know if you know a good vet around area code 19053, thats Feasterville, PA right outside NE Phila)

P.S. The light is about 12 inches away from her head when she is on the basking log. I don't know the temperature but I ordered a Temp Gun and it should be here soon!

Well this is my hello to this forum, sorry for the long introduction. Please let me know if I could do something better.

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
Hello, and good on you for taking in this poor girl. It sounds like you have made a very good start for her. You can keep the fake log in there if you like it, it doesn't have to be real wood. The t-rex bulb that you bought is excellent, and is all she will need for uvb, and probably heat too. You find that you need an extra low wattage bulb on the cool side just to bump the temps up, but wait til your temp gun arrives before you try to make it hotter. She does need to be 12 inches away from the bulb. As for the repti-sun, if you can take it back for a refund or exchange it for a regular fluorescent bulb or a fish tank bulb - a 5000K or 10 000K used for marines would be brilliant as it's nice and bright. Do you have any idea how old she is? If she is more than a year old, she will need the calcium dusted on a meal a day 3 times a week, and the vitamins dusted on one meal a day once a week. Also, fruits are high in sugar which is not good for beardies, so keep it to a couple times a week, and apples act as a laxative to them so don't give too many! She does look in pretty good health mind, I hope you and she are very happy together. What have you named her?

Wow that tank is definately too small! I can't believe the way some people treat their animals! :cry:
It sounds like you are off to a great start giving her all that she needs! Everyone here is very helpful with great amounts of information if you have any questions. Welcome to the forums!

SLUphilosopher

Juvie Member
Most of the veggies you're looking for can be found at any local supermarket or farmers market. They tend to be pretty cheap, depending on how much you need. Do make sure you chop the veggies down to size, I have yet to see mine do any sort of tearing in an attempt to make something the pieces smaller.

I would keep the artificial log and when you get a bigger tank, add more if you want to. My guy loves the log (he can bask on it and sleeps in it normally). At the very least, keep it around because it's something he's used to from the previous owner.

You should feel good for getting this dragon and taking better care of them. You sound very dedicated and I appreciate the fact you're doing research to make sure the treatment is correct. Keep asking questions!

giraffe42

Original Poster
auntylolo":f7911 said:
As for the repti-sun, if you can take it back for a refund or exchange it for a regular fluorescent bulb or a fish tank bulb - a 5000K or 10 000K used for marines would be brilliant as it's nice and bright. Do you have any idea how old she is? If she is more than a year old, she will need the calcium dusted on a meal a day 3 times a week, and the vitamins dusted on one meal a day once a week. Also, fruits are high in sugar which is not good for beardies, so keep it to a couple times a week, and apples act as a laxative to them so don't give too many! She does look in pretty good health mind, I hope you and she are very happy together. What have you named her?

I will take the repti-sun back for a refund. What would be the purpose of a fish tank bulb? I have a 100W bulb that the person gave me with the dragon that I can use on the cool side of the tank if needed.
I was told that she is about a year and a half.
On another forum I am told that I since I'm using a MVB that I should not dust with calcium with d3, just with the regular calcium. Any opinions on that?
I have not named her yet!

SLUphilosopher":f7911 said:
Most of the veggies you're looking for can be found at any local supermarket or farmers market. They tend to be pretty cheap, depending on how much you need. Do make sure you chop the veggies down to size, I have yet to see mine do any sort of tearing in an attempt to make something the pieces smaller.

I would keep the artificial log and when you get a bigger tank, add more if you want to. My guy loves the log (he can bask on it and sleeps in it normally). At the very least, keep it around because it's something he's used to from the previous owner.

You should feel good for getting this dragon and taking better care of them. You sound very dedicated and I appreciate the fact you're doing research to make sure the treatment is correct. Keep asking questions!

Maybe I wrote something not clearly but the previous owner did not have a log, I bought that.
Please share some good sites for dragon stuff and some sites for tanks. I'm looking for a 40Gal with door in the front.
Thanks.

Nanci

Hatchling Member
Wow is she lucky you found her!! She sure looks great!

I had an empty 40 sitting around, and had been reading a bit about dragons in a
"maybe someday" sort of way, and luckily had the proper lighting on that tank
(I'd had torts in it, who'd moved outside) and then I bought an adult dragon at
Daytona. The 40 looked adequate until she started galloping around. Now it
looks small. I'm going to have to buy her a 2x4 tank ASAP. So maybe you might
want to just buy her her forever tank instead of the 40...Especially if you put
in a nice slate floor or something- you don't want to go through the h*ll of
cutting slate more than once.

http://www.glasscages.com seems reasonably priced if they deliver to a reptile show in your area. They have a bunch of different types.

Nanci

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
The fish tank bulb will just brighten up the tank, as sometimes with an mvb you'll end with the cool side looking quite dark because there are no lights on that side. If you need to bump up the temps on your cool side, 100w will probably be too much, I reckon a 40w or 60w at most would be enough. As for the calcium, what you have been told is right, you don't need to supplement d3 when using an mvb. Because the uvb rays from it are so strong, beardies can produce the amount they need by themselves, and it can be dangerous to overdose on d3 because it's hard for them to excrete the amount they don't need.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
It sounds like you're doing everything right for this little girl. I have a T-Rex bulb and it's great. I have a regular 60w bulb on a dimmer as well to adjust the temps as needed. I use the calcium/D3 supplement once a week, and calcium with no D3 twice a week, as advised by my vet. I don't think the D3 is strictly necessary since you have an MVB though. I'm glad to hear that you took this little one in and are going to give her a good life from here on in. I have a rescued dragon as well, and rehabilitating him has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! Keep us updated with lots of pics and stories. :D

athenacp

Extreme Poster
giraffe42":f23a4 said:
\

Most importantly I saw a real 40 gallon tank in this store! Yeah and to think I thought the tank I had was a 40 gallon one. I will buy one either off the internet or in the store (does anyone know any good reptile stores around Philadelphia area?)

I am planning to give her a bath and take her to a vet as soon as I think I could handle her. I already found a good reptile vet which is the same one I take my dog to, and they always treated my dog very good so I hope the reptile vet they have is just as good (let me know if you know a good vet around area code 19053, thats Feasterville, PA right outside NE Phila)

Well this is my hello to this forum, sorry for the long introduction. Please let me know if I could do something better.

Ok, 2 vets that you can go to:

There'a an Animal Hospital on Street Road & Trevose Road, they have an excellent reptile vet there, Dr Baeza:

http://www.stroadanimalhospital.com/

Also THE best reptile vet is in Philadelphia at Rhawhurst animal hospital, Dr. A Dennish, he did his internship at Radical Reptiles (a breeder that went out of buisness after 18 years, dang it, its where I got Digger)Dr Dennish phone number is: 215-333-8888, he takes excellent care of Digger. I use the other one if I can't get to Dr Dennish. It's a little further for you, I live in the Far NE so you're only about 4 or 5 miles more than me. Oh and the one on Street road uses a scope and camera to look at Digger's mouth, but Dr D is very good, if I was forced to choose I'd go to Dr D, then to Dr B

As for a good reptile store, sigh, none really since Radical went out of buisness. If I have to go to one, Pets Plus on Roosvelt Blvd, I think they just opened one in Langhorne. I try to avoid the other ones since I swear when Digger got parasties it was from the superworms from Petsmart/PETCO. I only order now from Mulberry Farms (thank goodness he don't eat crickets anymore)

The rest of the stuff the others answered, I saw the Philly reference and had to jump in.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Mary

giraffe42

Original Poster
Would you happen to know any good places I could get a tank at around here?

She is eating veggies from her plate. I went to a few pet stores around here and none of them have any tanks that I was looking for (48x24x17). Looks like I will be ordering it from Glasscages.com

Should I get glass or acrylic? I heard acrylic scratches really easy...
Also I have been reading up online and there seem to be different opinions on feeding crickets. What I am doing now is giving her about 25 crickets twice a week and giving her veggies every day before I go to work so she can have the whole day to eat them. Sometimes she does and sometimes she does not. Also I am a bit confused regarding the whole misting thing and water. Should I have a water dish or are veggies enough? Also how many veggies should I feed her?

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi

Good on you for rescuing this cutie. It soulds like you are doing a fantastic job and you've obviously done your research. Keep up the good work :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom